Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have this valve tapping noise. I thought it was the timing chain guide but I took it off and the sound was still there. Its a valve tap at idle and still taps when i step on the gas but dissapers after 2500 rpms thats why i dont think its a rod. Could it possible be a lifter or two? This motor only has 550 miles on it. Im affraid is something serious. Its loud at first at cold start up then quiets down when warmed up but it still there. Another thing is its not continously the same loudness. It will quiet down then get loader I have no clue please help.

Tim

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even with a new motor?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well here are two ideas to reduce your lifter noise. Lifters get noisy either because they are worn (hydraulic zero lash type), or they are sticking (from oil varnish, sludge).

If it's from wear go to a heavier weight oil, maybe even a straight 40w. You live in the south so cold temps are not a real problem.

If its from deposits I would try a motor flush additive when you change your oil (follow the directions on the bottle), and then add Rislone to the engine before you put your oil in. As I've said on other posts, additives are not normally necessary in a typical engine, but in the case of an engine with deposits it's not a bad idea to go ahead and try this first instead of taking the engine apart.

I would try the motor flush / Rislone first. It will generally work on an engine that is not too sludged up or varnished.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But the motor was just rebuilt it only has 550 miles on it?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Did they replace the hydraulic lifters? If not, they may have used the old ones. It is not unusual for a lifter to get something caught it it. I would do the motor flush / Rislone. It is cheap to do. It will take a few weeks of driving for the results to start to happen.

If you have a warranty on this engine, then take it back and have them figure it out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did pop the valve cover but couldent see anything unusual. ill do the flush because I dont think it anything real seriouse because if it was valve knock i would be able to hear it while driving and I dont.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
timg20t said:
I did pop the valve cover but couldent see anything unusual. ill do the flush because I dont think it anything real seriouse because if it was valve knock i would be able to hear it while driving and I dont.
Doesn't this engine have a warranty on it? Take it back and have them fix it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jjacob said:
Doesn't this engine have a warranty on it? Take it back and have them fix it.
Yes it dose but its all the way in Virginia and this car is my daily driver

·
Registered
294 Posts
probably lifters, also just because they are tapping doesn't mean they are bad. you can verify by removing the vc then pushing down on each rocker arm on the lifter side. if it gives (you should not be able to push it at all) it either needs to be bled or replaced.
-kenji

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you mean if the Vavles tap its not a bad thing?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.