Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got bored at work today so I bored out my MAF. actually I got an extra from an internet junk yard for $55 shipped from a 99 sentra se-r. I opened the mouth up so the air should flow through better. but I really diidn't change the overall size that much. maybe a mm or two. tommorro I plan to high polish the inside so the air will shoot through and paint the outside with high temp black to keep it a little cooler. I hope to be getting my reducers monday by the tracking # so I should put the bored MAF & homemade CAI mid pipe in some time next week. I will also be adding the how to for both on my web site some time next week after all the pictures are taken. Hope I get a horse power or two out of all this but I'll settle for a good looking engine.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
cool...

Sounds cool... Is there a possibility for you to dyno your car and do a "Before and After" type of thing with the MAF... you said a few mm's... isn't that too little?... I doubt you'll feel much difference... Then again... you never know... Post the pics when you can, I really like your site!

Peace :knockout:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Man, I'd love to see that too. I'm still trying to plan out my homemade CAI and I want to have as many ideas as possible.
;)

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you said a few mm's... isn't that too little?... I doubt you'll feel much difference...
actually everybody on the sr20 forum say any change is bad, but most of them are post whores who read other post about not changing to a bigger MAF and see an oportunity to get there post count higher. I was more interested in the begining of the hole funneling in more air, and polishing the hole. so I wouldn't have a problem. I don't know of any dyno's around. sorry I'll let you know the seat of the pants feel. If i see i can get more power out of boring more i can do it later since i have two but there isn't alot to bore the hole it's more of a cylinder in the middle.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Ericdd said:

actually everybody on the sr20 forum say any change is bad, but most of them are post whores who read other post about not changing to a bigger MAF and see an oportunity to get there post count higher.
I doubt it. I was going to say something about boring the MAF being bad without tuning the ECU to compensate, but I decided against it.

Seriously, don't do this unless you really know what you are doing. Now I suppose you'll call me a post whore. :-\

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
G-Forces said:
Now I suppose you'll call me a post whore. :-\
I'll post whore on the subject.

The MAF is calibrated to be a certain size. People think that making it bigger would make the air flow better and get more power. If you mess with it, the calibration will be off and you won't be running at optimum performance.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Wow, I wish I could get bored at your work. About the only cool thing I can do at my work when I get bored is pick my nose.:cheeky:

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt it. I was going to say something about boring the MAF being bad without tuning the ECU to compensate, but I decided against it.
Actually yours is one of the opinions I value since you are a pioneer with the P11, but I'm not concerned with the ECU since I really didn't change the size of the hole just the beggining
I opened the mouth up so the air should flow through better. but I really diidn't change the overall size that much. maybe a mm or two
after looking at it again I realized the hole size is the same after the first 1/2".
but I have noticed that on the sr20forum you can't make a post without every newbie reposting what they read the night before like they have personal experience. I saw apost by Andreas Mikos that said he hasn't seen any horse power gains from boring it BUT he does it on every car. I also saw another post with some one that had a bored TB & MAF without tunning and the only problem he saw was his car was faster. One thing I couldn't find was some one saying they had a problem from doing it only that they KNOW you can't do it so I figure I'll be the guinnea pig. This way I can speak with pesonall knowledge next time. I don't think the small amount I did will hurt anything but if I see it running bad I will just put my factory one back in. I have a G-tech that I'm gonna get a base line with this weekend and an after next week when I install my WAI piece and the MAF. KNOW

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Ericdd said:

Actually yours is one of the opinions I value since you are a pioneer with the P11
I wouldn't exactly call myself a poineer with the P11 or anything there are others that have done a lot more than me. I've just been researching SR20's and P11 since 99 so I guess it seems like I know a bit about them. :)

Anyway by boring out the MAF, if you did indeed change the size around the sensor you will be runing a bit leaner, i.e. getting more air. This would give you more power but if bored too much you could get detonation and it's not too much farther to a slagged motor. :-\ But if you say you haven't actually increased the size of the opening then you should be fine.

I can't be 100% but Andreas bores all his MAF's but I'm pretty sure he know where to draw the line and what he can get away with on certain applications, i.e. with and without ECU tuning.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't exactly call myself a poineer with the P11 or anything there are others that have done a lot more than me. I've just been researching SR20's and P11 since 99 so I guess it seems like I know a bit about them.
well if it wasn't for you and your site I probably wouldn't have done alot to my ride or found alot of info to help me.
But if you say you haven't actually increased the size of the opening then you should be fine.
I actually made it more funnel like at the beginning and polished the rest. So i guess I 1/2 bored but overall the hole is the same just the beginning has more of a mouth.
if you did indeed change the size around the sensor you will be runing a bit leaner
that was untouched just the larger hole was funneled.
I'll let you know my results.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I installed My CAI secondary piece and my slightly bored MAF yesterday. I feel a slight HP gain (SOTP) and a much better throttle responce. I like the looks as well since I painted it. so I feel it was worth doing. I'll post pics soon, maybe today.

·
Registered
411 Posts
MR. RYTE said:
Man, I'd love to see that too. I'm still trying to plan out my homemade CAI and I want to have as many ideas as possible.
;)
i to made a cai homemade, but i am not sure if u would like my idea. it works great but looks horrible. it consists of pvc pipeing, a dryer vent(pretty much sheet metal that has a lip so it is circular and stays in a circle), bout half a roll of duck tape, and a filter. i have the filter on the the pvc pipe which runs right infront of the front left tire. then the dryer vent(took the vent off of course) connets to the pvc which then goes to the sensor.then bout the whole thing is wrapped in ducktape to keep out any unfiltered air(if anything it adds as insulation).
if u aint goin for looks, this set up ran me bout 40$$

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whatever works!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts