Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have a 250gb external hard drive that I just recently purchased maybe 6 months ago. I moved my things from school back to Cincinnati for the summer and obviously my computer came along with me. I got everything put back together and all was well until this morning when I went to listen to some tunes and tried to open the hard drive and I got this message "Device is not formatted properly, would you like to format it?" I declined since this has happened before, and it wiped everything clean. Luckily I still had half of my things backed up on my computer so I had at least my pictures and half of my music. I know that if I reformat everything is gone. Basically, is there any way to retreive all of my files? I have everything in there... my music, my pictures of past cars and people and trips and blah blah blah. Words can't express how livid I am right now.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I know how it feels. I had a Western Digital 80GB external melt down on me last year after using it for about a year (and several years' worth of stuff was on there). I had accumulated a lot of stuff (20ish GB of music, among other things) without any way to back it up - one day I went to explore it to copy some files, and Windows didn't "see" the drive. Once I finally was able to get the drive to come up in explorer, it was fried - Windows said the drive was not formatted, which is when I knew that the outlook was grim.

The funny thing about harddrives is that while the data is 'lost', it is, in all likelihood, still somewhere on the drive. There are professional data recovery services available, but a quick Google search on those returned services that ranged from several hundred to several thousand dollars. Most of them, obviously, were geared toward the corporate side of things, since most companies will shell out huge $$$ to recover some important data.

Once Windows thinks the drive must be reformatted, however, I'm at a loss. There might be at-home retrieval software, too, but I'm not sure of the cost or process. It's a terrible situation, especially since harddrives have such spotty reliability. Good luck figuring something out.

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mack, I've slowly been accepting that everything is lost. It just means that I'm gonna have to take more pictures now to fill up everything. I might just give up on the whole mp3 deal. It's too much work getting a good collection, I had well over 4000 songs before. After the first crash I was lucky and still had about 2000 or so on my computer, this time everything was in there.

Jon, It is a USB drive.

·
Administrator
5,852 Posts
Usually this doesn't lie with the drive, if it spins up correctly and windows detects it pluged in, then its within windows, I deal with this all the time.

Second question, is the hard drive IDE or SATA? I'm assuming since you've had it for awhile it is IDE.

- Jon

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm... it is a FAT32 drive. Could it be because I plugged it into a different usb port on my computer?

Jon, I'm not sure how to tell the difference. I don't see either of those written on the case. The only things it has are serial numbers, usb 2.0, and a f weird c another c and an e.

It probably would help if I was computer literate.

·
Administrator
5,852 Posts
Uk-SRi said:
If there is a head crash, quite possible with an external drive if its moved while its on, then the partition info may get trashed.

Mike
This is true, but I'm wicked to my external drive and its a shitty old 80gb drive :p And since Windows assumes the drive as 'portable media' it stores alot of partition information on the computer itself.

Sco0terzsl said:
hmm... it is a FAT32 drive. Could it be because I plugged it into a different usb port on my computer?

Jon, I'm not sure how to tell the difference. I don't see either of those written on the case. The only things it has are serial numbers, usb 2.0, and a f weird c another c and an e.

It probably would help if I was computer literate.
You could try to plug it into the other ports and access the drive and see if it comes back for you, also I was going to suggest if you open the external case, if its IDE you can plug that directly into your motherboard and boot up the PC, and that can often times reload the information (partition information) on the drive.

Also are you plugging in the drive after windows is booted, or before?

- Jon

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Something similar happened to me. I had a 512GB thumb drive from Corsair. With about three years worth of college(never backed it up) and i got that same exact message and said no....and til today when i put it in, it still asks to be formated, im hoping a miracle happens and ONE DAY i put it in and it actually works :'(

·
Registered
954 Posts
thats sucks se if you can find some free wear or go ask a buddy a p2p buddy if you know what i mean, there are millions of them

i hope this helps becuse i lost 60gigs, 10,000 songs and about a hundreadmovies i am still recovering it sucks real real bad keep at it and do not give up and reformat then you truly screwed

trini

trini

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
download knoppix and get a cd drive that work installed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts