Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I'm pretty much fed up with this car. I try to do a simple clutch install, as I've mentioned, I have done numerous prior to this one. Everything with removal of the transmission was rediculously hard. Like, harder than anything I've ever dealt with (this includes numerous swaps in different cars.) I have finally met my match. After I've gotten everything bolted back up, and dealt with the bullshit prior (not going to explain it because it's irrelevant to the thread, and I don't feel like typing a book today) I proceed to try and fill the transmission fluid. Here is where the shit hits the fan. The plug, as most of you know, needs a 3/8's ratchet to come undone. Well, it turns out that the retard who owned the car prior to me decided to use JB Weld on the fucking threads. After using about a half a can of pb blaster, and setting a ceramic heater next to it to assist in activating the pb blaster, I decided to have another go at it. The result was one demolished Craftsman ratchet. So I decide to use this no name ratchet set that I got for christmas, hoping that maybe I busted it loose with the craftsman. Well, that was a bad decision, now I have the end of the no name ratchet jammed in the plug. And to further add to my problem, the plug is now beginning to strip, so if the ratchet didn't break I woudl have had a complete circle instead of a square. Now, instead of a four point plug, I have an 8 point, with a ratchet stuck in there. This is where I am at now, after finally calming down and throwing hammers around and punching walls I am calm enough to type.

So this leads me to a couple of questions. Most importantly, is there any other way to fill the transmission up, rather than the plug itself? If not, any ideas on how to get this mess fixed?

Keep an eye out for a forsale thread, I'm on the verge of parting out both cars, it doesn't make sense having two non functioning g20's anymore. Especially since I am a college student (oh, btw, that starts tomorrow morning and I have to figure out a way to get back up to Columbus, and have a car to make it to classes, since I live off campus).

This is fucking bull shit. To the previous owner of the car, I hope you burn in hell you fucking retard!

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
damn. well that just sucks monkey balls bro :monkey:

sorry to hear all of that...

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Yes, you can fill it through the speedo drive hole....

I can only find the level info for the P11, it is 56.5-61mm below the top of the hole.

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never removed an electronic speed sensor, is there a pin that i have to worry about? Is there anyway to fill it up through the air breather valve sitting on top of the transmission housing?

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
If yo do part it out...im gonna get those rims from you soon and those mep mounts i call dibs on now =)

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
I haven't removed one either, mine is mechanical...
It should be just the one bolt then pull the whole unit out.

As for the breather, I think you'd be there all day, it's too thin and the oil is too thick. Plus air couldn't get out as the oil went in. Oh and you wouldn't know how full it was.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Sco0terzsl said:
I've never removed an electronic speed sensor, is there a pin that i have to worry about? Is there anyway to fill it up through the air breather valve sitting on top of the transmission housing?
The speed sensor is held in by a 10mm bolt, once you get that out and unplug it, it should come out. You might have to tug at it a bit, I used a flat screwdriver to pry it out of the transmission. It went right back in without much of a problem, although the location makes it a bit difficult to work with.

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to see if I can get the speedo sensor out. I'm weary on attempting it because I can't afford to purchase a whole new sensor. Unfortunately my FSM is from my 92, which has the mechanical speedo. I guess I'll have to see if I can get some info from phatg20's site. BTW, this clutch install has lasted me 5 days. The last clutch install I did took me about 12 hours, just to give you guy's an idea of what a bitch this whole thing has been.

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bhowle said:
The speed sensor is held in by a 10mm bolt, once you get that out and unplug it, it should come out. You might have to tug at it a bit, I used a flat screwdriver to pry it out of the transmission. It went right back in without much of a problem, although the location makes it a bit difficult to work with.

Cool, thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna go out and see if I can NOT break anything. With the level my anger is at right now, this could be tough. :zoinks:

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Sco0terzsl said:
I will have to see if I can get the speedo sensor out. I'm weary on attempting it because I can't afford to purchase a whole new sensor. Unfortunately my FSM is from my 92, which has the mechanical speedo. I guess I'll have to see if I can get some info from phatg20's site. BTW, this clutch install has lasted me 5 days. The last clutch install I did took me about 12 hours, just to give you guy's an idea of what a bitch this whole thing has been.
The clutch install on my 95 was a bitch as well. I didn't treat the speed sensor very carefully or anything, and it sat out on my saw table for a few weeks before it went back in, and everything still works fine.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I've had terrible luck getting out the speedo drives without breaking the flange. I think it's prob fine if you live somewhere without much corrosion, but where I am, plan on breaking it. The drive "grows" into the aluminum on the trans. I've not had probs with my plug, but I believe it is a somewhat bigger square hole than the 3/8" drive. I think I've seen recommendations to use a pc of tin can, rap it tightly around the square drive to take up the extra space, and it works. Might need a breaker bar and a pipe.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
BTW, is this a straightforward OEM replacement clutch? I've heard some performance replacement clutches can have linkage problems- can be corrected- If that's what you got, better do a search on that too.

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got the tranny filled and she runs fine. The clutch feels great, and the coilovers feel awesome. Thanks for the help guy's. Filling it through the speed sensor was actually a little nice than the fill plug. Like I said before, this turned into a 5 day nightmare, which is absolutely ludicrous. This was just the icing on the cake. I can't believe the stupidity of the person who changed the tranny fluid last.

bhowle said:
The clutch install on my 95 was a bitch as well. I didn't treat the speed sensor very carefully or anything, and it sat out on my saw table for a few weeks before it went back in, and everything still works fine.
Thanks man, everything went fine.

lysander said:
I've had terrible luck getting out the speedo drives without breaking the flange. I think it's prob fine if you live somewhere without much corrosion, but where I am, plan on breaking it. The drive "grows" into the aluminum on the trans. I've not had probs with my plug, but I believe it is a somewhat bigger square hole than the 3/8" drive. I think I've seen recommendations to use a pc of tin can, rap it tightly around the square drive to take up the extra space, and it works. Might need a breaker bar and a pipe.

BTW, is this a straightforward OEM replacement clutch? I've heard some performance replacement clutches can have linkage problems- can be corrected- If that's what you got, better do a search on that too.
Well, I did use a 3 foot breaker bar, that's how busted the craftsman wrench and sheered off the end of the other. And yes, I'm familiar with the clutch cable spacer. Actually, Honda axle nuts fit perfectly, that's what I've had on my other g20 for a couple years.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Sooooo......Theres no part out then..... :shifty:
Just joks man, glad to hear you got it done. :thumbsup:
Now you can drive back to sears and return the ratchet for a new one. :smile:

·
ʎןןnɟ˙˙ǝdo&#6
2,773 Posts
Maybe if you were there when I was doing my clutch install, I could've showed you that you can fill it through the speed sensor. That's the way I was going to fill it as my plug wasn't wanting to come off. I tried it one more time and it broke loose.

When I put it back on, I used JB weld to create a good sealant :p

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Here's the link to the sticky on this:

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23464&highlight=drain+plug+stuck

Note that the drain plugs are not 1/2" and 3/8", they're 13mm and 10mm. Of course 13mm and 1/2" are very close, but 10mm and 3/8" are not. I couldn't find the link about putting a pc of tin can (actually soda/beer can) around the 3/8" drive to make up the difference (I think it was Pat that posted it). Use the 3/8" drive repeatedly and the wrong sealer on the threads, and you've eventually got a problem.

Glad you could get the speedo sender out.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Reviving this old thread, I had to replace the PNP switch/sensor on my P11. Even with an acetylene torch, heating the hell out of the housing around the fill plug, and a few good hammer taps, the hex still managed to strip the fill plug.

I wasn't aware of the speed sensor, so after I drained the fluid, I measured up how much fluid was in the trans. I then tipped the car pretty hard towards the passenger side, and filled with new fluid into the output/driver's side differential hole (after pulling the axle). It did the trick.

I really would like to get this fixed the right way, I'm thinking about filling the plug with my gas mig, grinding down, drilling out but not through, tapping, putting in a strong/short bolt, maybe a spare drain plug, welding that to the plug after screwing it in to lock it, then giving it hell with some heat.

But until then, any reason to drain and refill the trans, I'm going to look up the location of the speed sensor in the FSM.

·
Registered
20,854 Posts
It is on the top, between the shifter linkage and the starter. That is how I put the fluid in it, cause I don't have the metric squares to remove the actual plugs on the p10.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts