Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This all started a week ago on my way back from work. The alternator in my P10 had been having problems, and, after a long day of taking it out and redoing my grounding and wiring, I thought I had the problem resolved. Lo and behold, on my way home from work later that day, my faithful G died on me again. Since it was close to midnight, I just left it on the side of the highway and resolved to call AAA in the morning. The next morning, I got the car towed to my house, and noticed that something was dragging along the ground, but I didn't have time to check it out, because I had a business trip I had to go to. Upon returning Sunday night, I finally got a chance to look under my car and found this:

That's right. Somebody CUT THROUGH my downpipe, my cat-back, my exhaust hangers, and my O2 sensor wires to steal my catalytic converter. I won't ask you guys to fathom why someone would do this, but I would like to ask you guys for help as to where I can get a full exhaust system for a reasonably good price. I was looking into either an SSAC or OBX header/downpipe (hotshot is too rich for my taste) and possibly a test pipe instead of the cat. I'm having trouble finding a cat-back exhaust for the car, though, so any help finding one would be much appreciated. Thanks for everything!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
damn, where did this happen at!? That's so dumb, I actually heard something about this on the news over the weekend. Something about ppl selling them for close to a grand :/ that make no sense, Autozone sells them all day for $100

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was stolen overnight, because I noticed that something was dragging while I was getting it down from the tow truck, but I didn't have a chance to investigate it until I got back on Sunday. It's kind of funny though, I thought I was gonna die when I started that thing up, cause I didn't know what exactly was wrong until I moved it into the garage. I didn't realize SR's were that loud without a muffler :).

Edit: Oh, and this happened on Eastbound I-540 in Raleigh between Lumley Rd. and Glenwood Ave.

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
dude, when I got my exhaust installed they told me there have been A LOT of people getting their cats and mufflers stolen. They told me there are precious metals in the cat and they get $$$ when they take it to get recycled. They steal mufflers and sell them used on eBay.

Police tested it out. From the time the person gets out of the car, cuts off the cat, cuts off the muffler and gets back in his car...90 secs. Trucks are a big target right now since everything is easier to get to. Its happening a lot here in SD.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't think of what kind of power tool is portable enough and powerful enough to be able to cut through a pipe that quickly, short of maybe a battery-power angle grinder? But yeah, from what I'm reading on the rest of the forum, there aren't a whole lot of catback systems available for P10's (which is surprising, considering how badass G20's are). Does anyone know of any? I'd like to get my car back in good shape asap.

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
battery powered saw-all

chapest way for a cat back system...mom and pop muffler shop.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Thats fucked up. I live right there too. I live 1 minute off 540 (Leesville Rd exit)
Probably 3 minutes from where this happened. Damn man....thats pure butt mud.

Anyways, I know a kick ass muffler shop here in Raleigh. If you take 440 to Capital, you will go like your heading downtown. Go thru a few light and make a U turn and head back up capital the other way...Its called Henry's Muffler shop. Its on the right. Very good prices and great work. They will hook you up. Geez....I need to keep an eye on my shit now. Sorry to hear that man. PM me if you need better directions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pauley01 said:
Thats fucked up. I live right there too. I live 1 minute off 540 (Leesville Rd exit)
Probably 3 minutes from where this happened. Damn man....thats pure butt mud.

Anyways, I know a kick ass muffler shop here in Raleigh. If you take 440 to Capital, you will go like your heading downtown. Go thru a few light and make a U turn and head back up capital the other way...Its called Henry's Muffler shop. Its on the right. Very good prices and great work. They will hook you up. Geez....I need to keep an eye on my shit now. Sorry to hear that man. PM me if you need better directions.

Oh shit, are you that other white P10 I always see around Westgate and Ebenezer Church?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yep....thats me. Pearl White P10 with euro tails....tell you what, I forgot I have the factory downpipe laying around in my garage. You can have it if you want it. I am not sure if you are planning to upgrade now, but you can have that piece if your interested. That will leave you with needing a cat and the piece running to the muffler.

I only had 50K on the downpipe so its in excellent shape.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Here is an old thread that might get you started. I posted up some part numbers and prices when I got my catback.
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54598

You will need to add the header, CAT, and probably the 02 sensor but its a start. Send a message to user Nonsenz. He is parting out his 95 which has very low miles and I am sure he will hook you up with the cat and 02 sensor. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
593 Posts
my frind has a mechanic shop and one day he come there and all the cats where cut off all the cars.i have a shop myself and somtimes when i junk a car that isnt worth fixing i have cuut the cat off and sold it. soimtimes im to laxy to cut it off and i dont bother.its only worth 20 bucks. thats alotta work for 20 bucks.imean the electric the guy used to charge the battery in whatever tool he used and the gas he used to drive to teh car to cut it off prolly = 20 dollers lol . i heard in PA they pay a little more than $20 but your not in PA anyway.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have never heard of people doing this before. Its a nice area of town where this happened. I guess crack heads are everywhere. Really sucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mirx999 said:
I didn't realize SR's were that loud without a muffler :).
I agree totally. My exhaust on my UK p10 has a silencer instead of a cat and there is a hole in the bottom of it. The sound has ranged from "Iffy rattly noise" to "hey this sounds quite nice" to its current state of "err not as nice any more". Got a new part and trying to fix it but i gots some stuck nuts :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RS510e said:
I agree totally. My exhaust on my UK p10 has a silencer instead of a cat and there is a hole in the bottom of it. The sound has ranged from "Iffy rattly noise" to "hey this sounds quite nice" to its current state of "err not as nice any more". Got a new part and trying to fix it but i gots some stuck nuts :(
Get some penetrating lubricating oil (the UK equivalent of PB Blaster if it's not available over there) and a big persuader or an impact wrench.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts