Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when i got off work i got in my car and turned it on. It drove VERY sluggish, and when i was diling it felt like it was gonna stall. When i got home i got under the hood and check myst distributor cap, and everything seemed fine. So after that i checked my spark plug wires and they were all good. So i turn on the engine and start pulling the wires off one by one. When i pulled wire #4 off there absolutely no change in the way the engine was working, so i said HA! : "Bad Wire". But i put it close to the block and it started sparking so i thought: " the wire is ok, maybe my spark plug went bad". So i pulled out the spark plug and it was fine. To be on the safe side, i went to oreillys and got another spark plug, put it in and still no change when i pulled wire #4 off. I was doing all this with my dad, and suddenly he said:"uh oh". I knew it wasn't gonna be good. He said i might have a bad injector, a hole in a pistong, a fkd up valve, etc.

What do you guys think?...im completely confused here. In the morning i didnt drive it rough or anything...just happened after i got off.

Help needed guys, all input is appreciated....is my engine.....(tear).....done?

·
Registered
653 Posts
the wasy he says it it seems to do with the internals of the motor, but am no expert at this kind of prob.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, i will definitely do that tomorrow....thanks for the help...

I will update you guys tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Marks suggestion is a good one to determine the diagnosis. If number 4 was not firing, then the plug would be wet with gas. I doubt you have a holed piston. You would be pumping oil out of the dipstick tube and PCV valve. Pretty much if you see no difference when the plug wire is pulled then you have either no spark or no fuel. If the plug is dry, then you have no fuel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
compression check cyl. 4
If no/low compression its rings, piston (hole) or valves.

If it its got compression its prob. your fuel system (injector).

~Paul

·
Registered
47 Posts
Autozone may even have the compression tester as a FREE loaner...what could be better than that? :teeth:

·
Registered
17 Posts
A compression tester is a good shop tool to have! I recently did a compression check on my P10.

start engine for 3 minutes.
remove all plugs & inspect.
pull fuel pump fuse
pull ign. coil low voltage line (bottom of coil)
:test
install compression tester into cyl. #1
crank engine 5-7 times
record results
proceed to test cyl's 2-4.

If you get a low compression reading in a cyl. you can put a few drops of oil in the plug hole and check it again. If the compression comes up its rings. If it stays the same its valves.

~Paul

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
unfortunately i have a final exam today and im gonna get around to getting the tester. But i will definitely try to get to the testing of the injectors.

i might leave it off for tomorrow tho, i really need to get to studying for this exam.

Will i harm anything if i drive the car like this?

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
How do we know till ya does the required tests .......

At a guess No ....... Twill hurt yas MPG tho :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would *NOT* drive the car on 3 cyls!!!!

If the rings are good and the injector is firing a little that would mean the car is running SUPER LEAN on that cyl.

Better safe than sorry. Do not drive the car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts