Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... and I lost pretty badly. Considering he had twice the displacement and 4 more cylinders, he had to have won. It was a nice smokey german burnout at a stoplight. Believe it or not, I had him for the first 45 feet or so, but once that mid range beast kicked in, he passed me. I don't race, but for some reason yesterday, I wanted to see how a 2002 g20 sport 5 speed would hold up. I still love my car!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
enough!

It's sad to keep hearing the 'drag race' stories here. If you want to race your car, There are PLENTY of SCCA legal race events in the Chicago area. Just check out www.scca.org and click on the Milwaukee and Chicago SCCA to check it out. There is also plenty of other local clubs like TSSCC (Tri-State Sports Car Council) and WAI (Wisconsin Autocrossers does stuff in Milwaukee) and others!

Too many people get killed doing the drag race thing in the street and it is really pathetic with all the venues to do it legally!

BTW: I'm sure you MUST know about Great Lakes Dragaway and Route 66 Drag strip? Both are an easy hour outside of Chicago and at Great Lakes, you pay for the evening and can take as many runs at the 1/4 mile as you want!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The obvious problem with street drag racing (or any kind of illegal racing for that matter) is that it's ILLEGAL... but for some reason, the more illegal or "wrong" something is, the more fun it is. Street racing gives this crazy rush, kinda like the rush you get off walking past a pretty neighbor's window as she's getting dressed or five-finger discounting some $$$ electronic gear that you had been eyeing for months.

Sorry, but as long as there's cars, there will always be street racing.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does

Funny, I get plenty of 'rush' when racing at Road America..

no need to be Illegal to get that 'rush'

Skydiving, hand-gliding, bungee jumping, rollar coaster, drag-strip, race track.. all a great 'rush' that just-so-happens to be legal!

Childish people who are just too selfish and self-centered to see the potential danger to others race in the street. Maybe if you accidentally kill someone drag racing in the street, you'd change your mind!

Shop-lifting? YOu are only hurting yourself ifyou get caught.. go ahead if it gives you that 'rush'! but that is just another firm confirmation of a person who just hasn't 'gown up'... You just haven't gotten caught yet... yippie for you -- NOT

I'll say it again,

Stupid is as stupid does

...and I'm done with this topic at this point because it is clearly obvious that people who race in the streets have every excuse in the books as to why and never seem to see the potential danger to others.

Besides, A G20 is not what I would take to the track -- it just isn't a racecar by any means.. it is a comfortable luxary car with decent performance and handling... It can do very well at an autocross event through!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Hey I'm not gonna try to prop up street racing as "okay" to do or whatnot. I've had friends hurt, arrested, and yeah, even killed because they were street racing. Shoplifting is the same way. Having sex with the random hooker on the street is in the same category too. Stuff just happens. I mean, it's great and all if you can go to a sanctioned event and race nice and safe and get actual timeslips or get tips from real road racers who actually DRIVE for a living. I wouldn't mind going to such an event, but as it is right now, it's probably not gonna happen anytime soon. I'm not trying to persuade anyone of doing illegal things; all I'm saying is that hey: out there, it happens.

We can sit and discuss: why are teens getting pregnant? why do people kill each other over crossing a street into "gang territory"? why does bob smoke that weed and john drink that liquor? why are there streetracers? why can't they find a track somewhere so they can race legally? IT JUST HAPPENS.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
FF Drifter said:
why can't they find a track somewhere so they can race legally? IT JUST HAPPENS.
Of course it happens. Doesn't mean he has to like it or accept it. I know street racing happens, but I'll try my best to avoid those situations and locations. If any 'street racer' hurts me or anyone in my family I'll make damn sure that the rest of their life will be a living hell! You reap what you sow. I got lucky, I never street raced but knew people that dicked around on the streets at stupid high speeds. We had some really close calls but luckly noone was killed. One night I was fucking around in my cherry 72 mustang. I lost it and hit a pole. I could have easily been killed or worse, killed someone else. I now realize that the track or auto-x course is the ONLY place to get my ya-yas out.

Not everyone gets a second chance like I did. Trying to make people realize that is what Chris and I try to do.

So, street racing is baaad....mmmmmkay?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
About the c43 amg. They don't make one. The c32 amg and thats a v6 not a v8. So I dont know what car are you talking about then.

·
Registered
59 Posts
don't race on city streets

... its not good.

Some hoopty souped-up ricer '97 Integra hit my car while taking off at a light. It hurt. I sued....

As a side note, if you are trying to race against a real sports car, it kind of makes you look like a jerk when you get spanked. The other drivers around you probably aren't amused either.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The c43 is the v8 mercedes put in the c class sedan from 1995-2001 (also put in their e,s and m class sedans). The new c36 is a blown 6 pushing about 350 horses. I quess I didn't make my point very clear to some of the readers, but the point is the g20 is not a race car. It was all about the old man showing me off in his overpriced 60K sedan. I don't premote racing, I think it is stupid. I perfer the g20 on its other fine attributes such as handling, reliability, value, and the fact you don't see one every 20 minutes. :evil: If i wanted to race, I would get a m3 or a z06.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
jalterio said:
:evil: If i wanted to race, I would get a m3 or a z06.
Damn right.

:smoke:

On a side note, does anyone know how Mercedes names their cars? I understand how BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, etc. label their cars, but Mercedes makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
I had a mustang and i barely raced because it was fast, but with my G when i do race because its soo slow and i race other slow cars its fun. It takes forver to get to 60mph and that really the fastest i have ever gotten on a street race, and here in Flroida the streets have 3 or more lanes and theres barely any cars anyways. Everyone races, theres no smart way to race except on a track, but i love the rush and my little stoplight to stoplight wouldnt even count as races so to each their own opinions. YEs racing is bad but so are a lot of things like YODA said.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Drifter

Drifter I belive as far as Merc's go the Higher the Number the better the car..I have no Idea about any of this (Numbers Types Etc) but I belive a 300s (Making these up) would be a G20, a CL 500 or whatnot would be a I30 or the like, 700 would be a $60,000 Q45 or the like, there the top of the line, and there are 2wo cars every year in 800 class that made for too VIP's who work for Merc's (Ceo, Vice Pres)...

All this is hearsay and conjucture and should be taken with a Pich or 2wo of salt...But I belive it goes something like that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mercedes uses an Alphanumeric naming system.

Tha alpha is an acronym, the number--an engine indicator...

For example...

CLK320 = The acronyms are in german, but IIRC...Coupe, Light, Kompact 3.2 litres of displacement.

AMG vehicles just drop the zero...

SLK32 = Sport Light Kompact 3.2litres
-----------------------------------------------------------------EXTRA CREDIT!
BMW uses a numbered 'caste' for their cars...3, 5, 7 series...then the engine displacement in litres times 10, M cars being Motorsport, X5 being all-terrain (X) and based on the 5 series, Z8 being special, the Z, and 8 because thats BMWs high end car line...840i etc...

Audi uses a caste system without displacement indications...Interestingly, they name their vehicles relative to BMW, setting their cars above the Bimmers...
the 3-series competes with the A4, 5 with A6, 7 with A8...
Lexus, Infiniti do the same thing--You can relate the Lexus names to Mercedes' names, and the Infiniti names to AMG prepped cars.

-Whew. I got bored. But you learn something new everyday!-

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yeah I know the BMW system (which actually makes sense). The Ms are like the AMG/SVT/Type R and the Zs are roadster type cars. The 8-series was like German Ferraris, but waaay uglier. There's a new 1-series coming out too (concept so far) and they look like German renditions of Miatas I guess. Also, they have S (sport) and L (luxury). So BMW 323iL is 3series, 2.3L, luxury. Duh.

The Lexus has an interesting system too. The first two letters stand for the car: LS = luxury sedan, SC = sport coupe, etc. and the numbers are engine displacement.

Damn, this is so off-topic. Oh well.... :knockout:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your such a liar, there is no way that you could of been in front, that 345 hp monster starts in thr front and ends in the front...so take your stories somewhere else

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
car and driver clocked the c43 at 5.5 seconds. No joke man. He had his tc off and laid down some good rubber. That is the only reason I was in front for about 2.5 seconds. :beard: after his wheels found the asphalt, it was all over. Do you think i would make this up? Are you sick?:crosseyed

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my bad, the c43 only make 275 hp. the new c32 amg make 349. still an awesome car.:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: excuse me

G-Money said:
0- 60 in 4.9 sec...
jalterio said:
car and driver clocked the c43 at 5.5 seconds. No joke man. He had his tc off and laid down some good rubber. That is the only reason I was in front for about 2.5 seconds.
HAHAHA! Do you realize you could let him sit there for 2.5 seconds and either way he still should beat you to 60mph. :surprised

FF Drifter said:
Damn, this is so off-topic.
Yes, Yes it is....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That a-hole could have stopped and got a coffee at mcdonalds and still beat me to the next light. I'm not an idiot, I knew he would of won the contest hands down. I just wanted him to push his car and show me why he paid and the extra 15k for a souped up c class. By the way, I love mercedes. The e55 kicks ass.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts