Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a long time ago I wanted a G20, then I kind of gave up after checking out several and having no luck. So I bought a stock '91 Sentra SE-R for $1,200, painted it, did some small things...it was a good car.

Then I got sick of having two sporty coupes, as I've got a '94 Celica as well. So I sold the SE-R for $1,400 two weeks ago and I'm now driving my old beater, an '88 Celica (which was my bro's first car, then my grandparents gave him a '96 Civic so it was just sitting around.)

Today I was driving to my parents' house and saw a G20 for sale on the side of the road. I contacted the owner and met up with him to check out the car. He was an older guy with two kids and bought the car brand new, and he seemed really honest and knowledgeable. He spoke with me for a good 45 minutes showing me every little thing wrong with the car (down to a broken spring for the mirror in a visor) before we went for a long test drive.

The car is a base-model silver '93.5 5-speed with 238,000 miles and a black/gray interior. It drives really well, feels like it's plenty strong, idles perfectly, and has had regular oil changes and lots of maintenance work done (he showed me the records.) Fifth-gear popout was fixed, clutch, tune-up stuff, struts, brakes all replaced, etc. The car doesn't burn any oil according to the owner, which I believe, as he was very honest about everything.

The outside is super clean with only a couple dings, no rust, etc. The interior is pretty clean as well, and all the electrical stuff works on it, except the passenger window rolls up kind of slowly. The engine bay is clean as well. The car was in a couple minor wrecks, but damage was only cosmetic and he showed me exactly what happened.

He said he was asking $2,000 but was willing to negotiate, as he just bought a new Prius and wants this car off his insurance. So we negotiated to $1,600, and made plans for me to buy the car Tuesday.

Does this sound like a fair deal to you guys? It's basically a very clean '93.5 P10 with the only negative thing about it being the high miles.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
welcome to the G20 fam.. that sounds like a freaking amazing deal! i wish i coulda found something like that when i was looking, i woulda taken taht deal in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
978 Posts
yes, get it. That's a ton of miles for any car but hey, it's an sr20, it can take it!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
238,000 miles?

thats a lot man. i think price is kinda steep for milage that high. he's going to be hard pressed to sell the car at all, not many people are willing to buy a car with that much milage.

make sure you are ready to get your self into a project.

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Dude you know sr20's...you know they are bulletproof...i love my 93.5...thats why im having an auto->manual swap done soon since my trans just died...i just can't give it up!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
+1, already have the funds ready to swap a jdm, det, ve, vet, what ever you want but even the SR gods can only keep that engine on earth so long.

Gmac

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Yeah...i cant wait until i get the money together for a det down the road...hopefully 6 months tops

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I would try and negotiate the price down a bit more - even though we all know they last a life time, that's still too much for a car beyond 200k miles on it...did you run a KBB private party on it?

EDIT: Just ran a KBB on it from my zip (MA)....it actually came back for a 93 (no 93.5 choice :confused: ) with those many miles in GOOD condition as $1975 to $1570 for a fair condition....so in that case, you are right on the money with the negotiation.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Corrosion said:
238,000 miles?

thats a lot man. i think price is kinda steep for milage that high. he's going to be hard pressed to sell the car at all, not many people are willing to buy a car with that much milage.

make sure you are ready to get your self into a project.
+1, I agree with everything here......

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Dude we are talking about an original owner car that has detailed service records, and was owned by a older gentalman. not somebodies street racer/beater. this is one of those engines that will run forever if you treat it right. I'd say it's a $1000 car if it didnt have service records. the other $600 is for peace of mind that you are buying a car that was well maintained. you could run a car fax on it. but if the guy seems trustworthy you probably would just be wasting money. unless someone has a open carfax account. let me check to see if mine is still active. i'll need the vin

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
+2 its a g20t and if its runnin good like u say it is..it seems like a fair deal..

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
I actually agree with SgtDGun, yes it is a lot of miles. But then again, it's a one owner car (for a 14 year old car, that's pretty damn impressive) with good maintenance records. I'd get the car, do a good tune-up, and drive her happily. If you want extra peace of mind, see if you can do a compression test on it, look inside the oil cap and inspect the valvetrain as best you can, or if he's nice enough, pull the vc. Does the car leak any fluids? How are the bushings? If I were you I'd try to find out when that damned starter was last replaced, because we all know how awesome our starters are. And about the window, lets put it this way, even if it's in perfect working order, you won't be winning an window races with it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
at 238 miles the least of my concerns is the motor, you can still get a jdm for cheap so that doesn't matter. and yes i do know how strong the sr20 is.

but what about the car its built around?

think about motor mounts, wheel bearings, suspension bushings (ball joints, end links, upper link, controll arms, top hats, ext), also think about the gear box, yes 5th gear is fixed but what about the rest of the syncro mesh, thats a lot of milage on the shift forks, syncros, ext.

i had a 96g, got it with a little less then 100k, full service records. by no means was i hard on the car but these where all problems that i felt needed to be working on when i hit around 140. sure the car was still driveable, but i knew in time problems would arise.

if you do buy it just be ready to spend at least the same amount you pay for the car for maintance just due to milage.

you can still find a lower milage p10 for about 3k that will give you 100k before some of those problems will sneak up on you. just think about it. don't want the first happeneings with a g to be bad because they are great cars!

·
Registered
431 Posts
SgtDGun said:
Dude we are talking about an original owner car that has detailed service records, and was owned by a older gentalman. not somebodies street racer/beater. this is one of those engines that will run forever if you treat it right. I'd say it's a $1000 car if it didnt have service records. the other $600 is for peace of mind that you are buying a car that was well maintained. you could run a car fax on it. but if the guy seems trustworthy you probably would just be wasting money. unless someone has a open carfax account. let me check to see if mine is still active. i'll need the vin
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Our '94 has 233k, and the whole car is holding together just fine.

Long-term, caring owners who truly like their car add SO much value that a kbb report just won't show.

When I last went car shopping in 2001, I drove several nearly-identical 3-year old Jetta A3's before finding the G, and I realized then there was an ENORMOUS difference in them due simply to how they were cared for/abused by the owner.

BTW - My guess is that east-of-the-Cascade cars see far more "easy" miles of open road than cars from most other (stop & go) metro areas.

Get it :cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts