Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have searched and tried to find an answer for this problem but I have found nothing.
I have a '00 g20. Soon after I bought it a code came up. It was the Idle Control Valve. I tried and tried to clean it and erase the code but it keep coming back. So I finally broke down a bought a new one hoping that it would fix my problem. But it didn't. When you let off the throttle the idle jumps down and then back up. Very aggravating. Now this has been over 6 months with this problem. Now to top things off when I'm driving I can't rev past 4500-5000rpms at full throttle. Even in neutral it won't rev up past 4500-5000rpms. It sounds like it's miss firing but I checked all the wires, spark plugs, cap and rotor on the distributor and they all look fine. It sucks to drive because you can't past anyone and there’s no power to get out of it's own way. I drive the car 3000 miles a month and for the most part it's been great getting close to 30miles to the gallon. I can't drive like this, I'll get run over on the high way. I have messed with these engines for a long time but most of it has been pre '00. All these damn sensors just cause more problems than they are worth. I have never taken any of my cars to a shop. I'm really pissed that I don't know what’s going on. Please help with any advise. I'm not new to this stuff and have tried to do research on this but now I'm just really aggravated with it. Thanks in advance.

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
On a p10 I would say clean the EGR as they say on this link...
Click and scroll all the way down...

Also, on a Maxima I have read that a bad MAF can keep the car from going past a certain rpm. I don't know if this applies to p11s but you can also check the MAF ground using this link...

http://www.se-r.net/engine/maf_ground.html

Again, Im not sure any of this will actually apply to your p11 but give it a shot. Or someone else can chime in anytime.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It sounds like it is probably your maf. It could be so many different things. Im assuming you have an E-manage or SAFC or something, so I dont really know much about those. Just make sure that you have the correct maf programmed in. As far as mechanical stuff, you could have a faulty ICV motor. You may want to try and swap it out to see if that helps, although its a bit pricey ($80 or so?). That wouldnt cause the rpm limit thing though, just the idle. I would really check out the maf... maybe replace it or check the wiring. Also check your fuel pressure, you may be pouring in too much fuel. Also EGR and fuel vapor reclaim system(cant think of the actual name of it, but the tubes that come from your gas tank and are vented into the plenum) stuff can cause alot of problems in that area (idle and mis-fires). That is pretty comon in JWT stuff because the older ECUs dont manage that stuff very well in the new ECUs and the positive pressure freaks everything out anyway.
Good luck though....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I was miss leading. This is all n/a. I did think it might be the maf but normally if that is bad it won't let you go past 2500rpms. If I floor it, it wont let me past 4500rpms, but if I go half throttle it will let me go all the way up. It feels like something dealling with the distributor but I'm not sure.

What is the ICV motor and where is that located. I didn't even know about that.
Thanks again

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike96G20 said:
ICV is Idle Control Valve, which you said you replaced in your first post. I am having a similar problem, but I was wondering, does the car ever die if you let off the gas?
I did replace the ICV but he said ICV motor and I thought that it was something else. As far as the idle causing the car to die, I havn't had that problem. Mine just seems to idle high and bouce around when I let off the throttle. The dealer ship said it has to rest my computer to make my engine light go off. I think their full of it and just trying to get some $$$.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Others here have posted that you can go to Autozone and they will reset/erase the codes from your computer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had the same prioblem with my 95t, i replaced all the same stuff you did and it didnt fix it, so then i checked the compression on the motor and it was very low it was at 130 on all cylinders, so i broke down and bought a new motor, because i didnt know wat else to do because i was spendin money on parts i didnt need, this prolly isnt wat you want to hear but if i were you i would just get a new motor and stop buyin parts you dont need

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Make sure your PCV valve is clear. Check to make sure all vacuum hoses are connected and not split. I would also make sure that all electrical connection plugs are actually plugged in and tight.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Had a similar problem on a different vehicle.. ended up being a bad TPS (throttle position sensor)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Doh! sorry, i spend so much time in the turbo forum that i forgot where i was. Ok, so what I would do first is check all of your vacuum lines and hoses down there. Check the ones coming off the plenum (above the intake manifold) and the ones behind along the firewall just to see if any are cracked, cut or popped off. Alot of my experience with these are after I went turbo, but they may still help. Here are a list of things to check (download the fsm -somebody on this site has them all up for download - so that way you can see where all these lines are supposed to go)

-Check your MAF - (it really sounds like a maf problem - if you can round up someone with a 2000+ g20 to swap and see, have a mini meet or something)
-Try resetting the ECU
-Check PCV valve (coming off the back of the valve cover)
-Check EGR vacuum lines

1 - 11 of 11 Posts