Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When cold starting my 92 G20 after about 5 sec a loud noise will appear and last for about 10 minutes then completely go away. The engine will also Idle at around 1300-1500 for the duration of the noise. It seems to be coming from the passenger side mid to front. The power steering pump is new. I read some of the similar forums and the problems ranged from starter to alternator belt. wondering if anyone can help???

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
The high idle is normal. It sounds like the noise might be something wrong with the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve). It pushes the idle up on a cold start in order to warm up the engine more quickly, so if the noise doesn't show up at 1300 rpm when warmed up, it's likely that. If the noise does show up at 1300 rpm, there is something rattling, or something wrong with an accessory at that RPM but not at any others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

yeah makes sense with the IACV, i checked it this morning and rev'd the throttle to try and pin point the noise but couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from. It seems to only make the noise when the IACV has increased the idle. it gets louder when i increase rpm but when car is warmed up the noise disappears completely. any ideas??

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
What kind of noise is it? Is it a clattering? A screeching? A humming?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
jseverson34 said:
more of a screeching noise.
Sounds like a loose belt to me. Try tightening up your belts and see if the noise goes away. In severe cold a slightly loose belt will begin to slip more. As the engine warms up and the belt runs, the noise goes away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts