Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
magnificent pooper
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i was to get a set of 15X7 wheels, what's the best tire width you would recommend? i want to know if i should go wider, or if i should stick with the stock 195 width. wider tires might give the car a larger tendency to understeer, but it will increase grip. if i do go wide, how much more wide should i go? the only thing i've driven with wide tires are high-powered rear wheel drives, and more thean anything, they need that extra grip, and many of them will oversteer anyways.

these tires will be used for autocrossing more than regular street driving, so comfort is of no issue, just suggestions, especially from people with prior autocross/technical racing experience.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Zarp,
if you're gonna run that set up, you may want to look into going wider with your tires. Maybe a 215 atleast you'll have more contact patch with the ground giving you better traction. The only thing is it will depend on what club you plan to run with next season. For BMW i think you'll be fine with that, with the scca, you might get bumped to STS. There's an sticky here about tire/rim combo with offsets and what fits. IIRC the issue with the P10 is the rear clearance, if the tires are too wide or too tall it may hit the spring perch. Also, consider the tires you're gonna run, wider is still better but the tire compound will also be a major factor. At this point i will not recomend R compounds, get some hankook ventus or falken 615s maybe even the kumho mx. IIRC you just started autocrossing, the experst recomend that you try to learn on non r compounds first before you go R's. goodluck and see you next season

·
magnificent pooper
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, for next season, i'm going to stick with the stock wheels, and i'm going to order new tires in march, so i have enough time to break them in. after this season (or maybe even mid season), i'm going to switch to new wheels/tires and possibly a new suspension, but this is after i get a better feel of autocrossing, and realize my weak points.

next time i'm there, sit in the car with me, and give me some pointers. i'll appreciate the help. i'll research tires in the mean time, i'll look at what you recommended :p

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
check out the falcon azenies . I have noticed loads more speed takeing turns.
but i have asenis on the rear in stock size and 225 45 r14 bfg drags on the frount

·
Safe Sex
3,228 Posts
if your gonna be concerned about having more understeer you could always stagger them.. ie 205 up front 195 in the back.. or run a "square" setup with 205 all around with the grippy ones up front and weaker 205s in the rear.. or bfg KD's up front and KDW's in the back..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Zarp
I'll either go with the Azenis 615 or the hankook ventus on my stockies. Both tires only come in 195/60/14. The only toss up will be rain/dry traction. The ventus apparently has better wet traction, yet the azenis has better dry traction. Suspension wise i'm keeping it stock, AFAIk, i'm still learning, handling wise i think a good set of sturts. good tires, and a good alignment will be the key to have a nice beginner car. It's nice to have power and lots of traction, but i feel that for somebody learning, you're better off learning the limits of a fairly stock car, then once you start to learn to feel the car better, then you can upgrade so you can push harder. Harder like braking a little late. Taking the corners a little faster, positioning the car a little different for the next turn. The crazy thing with autoX is it's all in yor head. Depensing on how you look at the course will determine whtehr or not you will be able to find speed at certain turns. As far as handlings concerned, you can always adjust your technique to suite the conditions. When it rains or when it's cold, things can get a little different, also when the course is very tight. Aside from no money, these are my reasons for staying stock. I'd rather learn then win, than spend then win. keep me posted and goodluck

·
magnificent pooper
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for next season at least, i'm sticking with stock wheels, so i'm going to do a little research on what tyres are good and what's not. eventually, i wanna move to nicer looking wheels, but since efficiency is key, why not kill two birds with one stone and get lightweight wheels that wont kill my μ value?

i'll be lookin' forward to your help next season though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
help? what help? I need a lot of thoose myself!!!!:) just ask and i'll do what i can , that's pretty much the unwritten rule of autoX there's always a number of people willing to help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts