Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you buy?

The car; 92 P10 with Pulleys, 9lb Flywheel, JGY clutch, CAI, SSAC header

The system: Test Pipe, 2.5" VRS Mandrel SS System with no resonator and muffler seen here:

In reply to this thread;
http://g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59437

Im adding the resonator soon (4" can, 28" length) and have about $150 to spend on a new muffler to replace the Magnaflow amplifier that is on there now.

If you were simply focused on quieting the exhaust down as much as possible while retaining a 2.5" inlet, What muffler would you buy?

I dont care much for the looks of it, as I will more than likely just add a rectangular tip like the euro greddy mufflers, or small dual 2" tips. I just care that it muffles and will last well.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
start with the resonator and see how that sounds. also the test pipe is gonna add alot of volume. if you want it quiet put the cat back in

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
[threadjack] BObby12many - I'm loving the front end on your car man...nicest setup I can remember seeing on a P10 [/threadjack]

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ericdd said:
start with the resonator and see how that sounds. also the test pipe is gonna add alot of volume. if you want it quiet put the cat back in

I dont have a cat to install, and I dont have inspection or visual testing.

I have doubts that the resonator will do enough for me to be satisfied as of now. Just by visually judging the muffler that I have installed, I still have worries that there will be lots 'o rasp.

I just figured I might as well do all the welding on the exhaust at once.

·
V3.0 VE-T
3,175 Posts
P11Gdub said:
yes
yes
yes
no
no

well put. or in the words of Martin, "I don't give a fuck, it's not my car..."
if you want it quiet and want to leave the cat off, tkae out that test pipe. If you MAXIMIZE that length of piping after thje downpipe to the 1st B-bend, you can toss in 2 resonators back-to-back. That will possibly be your best option. Go and measure how much room you have, do the math, and get 2 magnaflow 4'' round resonators to occupy that area as much as you can.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mautai916 said:
if you want it quiet and want to leave the cat off, tkae out that test pipe. If you MAXIMIZE that length of piping after thje downpipe to the 1st B-bend, you can toss in 2 resonators back-to-back. That will possibly be your best option. Go and measure how much room you have, do the math, and get 2 magnaflow 4'' round resonators to occupy that area as much as you can.

WOuld this cut more sound than adding one resonator and replacing the magnaflow muffler with a 3 chambered unit, such as a Flowmaster Delta Series?

Or does the cat really cut that much noise?

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
magnaflow will not be a raspy shound to begin with, but like Mautai916 said fill the cat spot with resonator. get the LOngest one you can or put 2. the cat definetly quiets down the exhaust so without it your gonna get louder.

·
V3.0 VE-T
3,175 Posts
put 2 resonators in the place of the cat. Personally i really dun think you need that much flow for your application. I would just slap that cat back on since it would really quiet things down a lot, and you will do the air a favor ;) In reguards to the 3-chambered muffler... dun waste ur time. I called magnaflow and asked bout it before. A normal muffler has much more sound dampening material compared to the 3-chamber, which nearly has NONE. They said it more for v6/v8 muscle cars.

Personally i was in your shoes too. Looking for the quietest setup for my VE. I almost have the same application as you so i understand :) I have a 2.5'' VRS catback, 2.5'' header, and the longest single magnaflow resonator + biggest magnaflow muff i could find (my cat is still on). The end result sounded AWESOME. But it still droned a lil on the freeway. So i had to spend $100 to dynamat my entire rear 1/2 of my car. So now its perfect ;) So total cost for me?

$85 muffler
$75 resonator
$150 VRS piping
$75 installation
$100 dynamat

·
G MERA
5,199 Posts
+1 for the Cat. I also enjoy quiet deeper exhausts rather than the loud raspey ones that tend to drone. I did a lot of experimenting with my old B13 SE-R and found the best way to keep things quiet was with the Cat. I had a cat and a resonator, and the JWT pop charger, it had a nice sound through acceleration, but no drone while cruising at highway speeds.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mautai916 said:
put 2 resonators in the place of the cat. Personally i really dun think you need that much flow for your application. I would just slap that cat back on since it would really quiet things down a lot, and you will do the air a favor ;) In reguards to the 3-chambered muffler... dun waste ur time. I called magnaflow and asked bout it before. A normal muffler has much more sound dampening material compared to the 3-chamber, which nearly has NONE. They said it more for v6/v8 muscle cars.

Personally i was in your shoes too. Looking for the quietest setup for my VE. I almost have the same application as you so i understand :) I have a 2.5'' VRS catback, 2.5'' header, and the longest single magnaflow resonator + biggest magnaflow muff i could find (my cat is still on). The end result sounded AWESOME. But it still droned a lil on the freeway. So i had to spend $100 to dynamat my entire rear 1/2 of my car. So now its perfect ;) So total cost for me?

$85 muffler
$75 resonator
$150 VRS piping
$75 installation
$100 dynamat
After dealing with the noise levels right now, I think the Cat + Resonator will do me a big favor. My search for a dirt cheap cat is now on :)

ALthough, What model of muffler did you end up getting for your car? even if it doesnt quiet things down, I would like to replace the muffler simply so I can get rid of the cheap ass 5" loudmouth tip of the VRS OEM Magnaflow. What was the largest muffler can you could fit back there?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alloutmotor said:
es oval
http://www.inlinefour.com/estunsysovun.html

+ the longest resonator you can find maybe 2

+ cat

= clean stealthy exhaust

if not, you can find an sti axle back for cheap and use the muffler, they are free flowing and quietish and cheap

I have thhought about going that route, with a newer model OEM muffler. Maybe even something from a G35? a 'la twin-tip?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If you want a quiet exhaust ditch the straight through muffler in favor or a turbo style muffler.. that along with a good sized resonator will be quite quiet.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
bobby, what did you end up doing? im currently looking for the quietest 2.5 inch exhaust i can find. also, there are cats on ebay (2.5 inch magnaflows) for $60 bucks (thats actually for my application with an o2 sensor bung, yours may be cheaper) so if you didnt get that stock cat you should look into those.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts