Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some Vitek wires on eBay for a high port (92) SR20. What is the ignition wire difference between the high port and low port? I'm guessing just the external coil wire needed for the high port.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
95Gee20Tee said:
I saw some Vitek wires on eBay for a high port (92) SR20. What is the ignition wire difference between the high port and low port? I'm guessing just the external coil wire needed for the high port.
If you are planning on getting these to replace worn out wires hoping to gain some 'horsepower', don't bother. The best thing you can do is replace yours with the OEM wires. If you began to heavily modify the SR20, I believe it is over 250 HP, then you might want to look into upgrading your igition wires, coil, etc.

Quoted from eBay auction:
:confused:
the wires are in great shape and give your car a reasonable gain in horsepower.
:tired:

Here is some more detailed info on aftermarket or 'performance' wires, plugs, etc.

http://www.se-r.net/engine/ignition.html

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No HP gains expected...

I was only considering them as a REPLACEMENT for my stock wires (if/when they wear out). If they were CHEAPER than stock replacements, I'd go for it and consider the yellow color a bonus as that is the color scheme I thought would look best.

I have calculated the low resistance claim to boost HP with my 20 years electronics experience and found it to be bogus. The spark is going across an OPEN (infinite resistance or at least 1x10 to the 9th power) at the plug, so a plug wire that is about 200 Ohms vs. the stock wire at about 10 kOhms is LESS THAN a .001% difference. Or 0.4 volts for a 40 kVolt coil.

Two questions than: What's the best price located on the stock wires? Will the 4 spark plug wires from a high port motor fit my low port motor?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Don't bother buying them, they're a waste of money at any price (including free). Any non-Nissan wire is a bad idea not only from a performance but from a reliability standpoint. People don't seem to understand how good Nissan wires are vs. how bad aftermarket wires are.

That said, the difference is that high-port heads have distributors that point the wires towards the firewall. Other engines have distributors that point the wires towards the fender well. You can dig around on SE-R.net and places like that to get a clearer picture of what I'm saying, but basically, low-port wires have a 90* boot instead of a straight boot. I don't think high-port wires would fit on a low-port engine, but I've never seen it tried.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

I will take your advice and not bother with the wires.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have both,low and high. no there are no the same.low port are shorter than high port. i have 95 and 91 g20 so i know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts