Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at converting my PDA to a GPS system with a reciever and either TomTom Nav. or iGuidance. Also, wondering what people think of the idea in general. Does it work well or what?

I have read all the previous threads and got some ideas but am looking for more...

I have been leaning towards iGuidance but was wondering what you guys thought of both and each one compared to the other! The other option is buying a standalone unit. The key is I want to take it from car-to-car for now so I don't want to do the carPC...just yet!

Thanks! :teeth:

·
G20 OG
6,684 Posts
well i cant help with those chioces but i have a Garmin PDA which has the Navi built in. It is better than adding software to a regular PDA as it has a dedicated processor just for the Navigation, plus it had a built in antenna so you do not need to waste you SD card slot. In addition to that, it has two plug in for two separate types of antennas just in case you need more reception you can put it in your main car and just unplug it if you need to use it in another car.

I have the iQue M5, but the 3000 is the newest one.. mine runs on Windows mobile the 3000 runs on Palm OS

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have TomTom 5 running on my Toshiba e740 Windows Mobile and I LOVE IT!

Very easy to use, visually very appealing, and the maps are great!

Nothing to complain about except for the fact that my PDA is a old piece of sh*t, and the GPS is a ghetto chinese-made CF card, meaning that the signal acquires REALLLLLYY slowly..

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tealturboser said:
well i cant help with those chioces but i have a Garmin PDA which has the Navi built in. It is better than adding software to a regular PDA as it has a dedicated processor just for the Navigation, plus it had a built in antenna so you do not need to waste you SD card slot. In addition to that, it has two plug in for two separate types of antennas just in case you need more reception you can put it in your main car and just unplug it if you need to use it in another car.

I have the iQue M5, but the 3000 is the newest one.. mine runs on Windows mobile the 3000 runs on Palm OS
thanks man, that's good info. I was actually going to go with a bluetooth reciever but I am a bit worried about how slow the maps are going to be...I don't plan to use the pda for anything other than nav tho...

mrzuzzo said:
I have TomTom 5 running on my Toshiba e740 Windows Mobile and I LOVE IT!

Very easy to use, visually very appealing, and the maps are great!

Nothing to complain about except for the fact that my PDA is a old piece of sh*t, and the GPS is a ghetto chinese-made CF card, meaning that the signal acquires REALLLLLYY slowly..
Do you know how fast the processor is on your e740 and how slow are the maps??

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have the TomTom v5 running on my pocket pc with a 400MHz processor..that thing is just ample for running the navigation program.(it works on the Treo too which has a slower processor).

I would highly recommend TT simply because I use it almost on a daily basis and it works great everytime...has saved me atleast a dozen times. Recently I was lost in NY and I switched it on - it acquired the signal and got me on my way in less than 2 minutes flat.

I'm sure you are aware of the differences between iG and TT by now - the only main difference remaining is that iG runs on the laptop too whereas TT does not.TT now also have new 2006 maps updated plus a newer version (v6) which is greatly improved. The navigation software is not slow at all and using a BT-338 receiver from GlobalSat which is SiRf-III is perfect - no lag and directions come up well in time; also it is real time so you can see which way the highway curves at night in the 3D mode.....one of the really neat features of TT.

I would highly recommend this setup as this is very customizable...you will need a minimum of 1GB SD card to carry all the maps (the new v6 comes preloaded on one or on a DVD, your pick)- they can be had for $20 from a number of sites. I use my PPC as a phone also and usually have it paired to my BT headset at the same time - TT mutes the directions automatically when a call comes in, and picks up audio directions when I finish the call( the moving map and navigation continues). It also has a traffic subscription option which uses your GPRS/ EVDO connection to pull up traffic info and warns you - you can then reroute and avoid the traffic jam.

I think I have some pics up somewhere here too....let me know and I can get you some more. If you don't have a pocket pc and would rather carry one device, then go for the stand alone units - in that case, Garmin can not be beat. But if you have a PPC handy, you can get a BT receiver (GlobalSat is the way to go) and the software for well under $200.

Let me know if you need more info on TT.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Great post.

I have a few questions.

Does TomTom auto update for missed turns, does it speak the directions, and does it have a multi destination route option? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yes it does...actually I think this is why I went with TT back in the day when I was shopping around because at that time, iG's reroute function was really bad - it would continue to ask you to take a u-turn, sometimes when you were on an interstate!!!

EDIT: TT's reroute is very very quick and is almost on the fly...since there is no lag in receiving the GPS coordinates from the BT receiver, it reroutes almost instantly and plots the most logical route back to your destination. iG's newer version now has the same capability, although I cannot speak for how fast it reroutes - initial impressions were that it was slow to catch on to the detour but would then recalculate accurately.

TT speaks directions but it is not true text to speech- meaning it doesn't say the name of the street, but it says "Take the next exit left, then stay right"... the exit numbers are numbered as you see them on the highway, plus you can demo the route via text or run the whole route in demo mode to see from before where it is going to ask you to turn and so on. You can then pick a part of the route that it has planned and tell it to avoid it completely (i.e. I hate to travel I-95 when going to JFK, so I click to avoid it and it takes me through Meritt parkway and the likes).

It does have Multidestination routing, however I have never used it to the true sense.....

The thing to remember is with the advances nowadays, both TT and iG really do all the same things with a few exceptions here and there - TT has the auto-mute function, it also has this new thing in the newer version called TTBuddy where you and your buddy can both pinpoint each other and navigate to a common point or to each others' addresses.

iG uses Navtech Map data, which was up until the new TT map release, the most upto date....TT uses TeleAtlas which has just released their new 2006.10 map data which is on par with the latest NT data.

Anything else, let me know.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If you get a decent PDA, you won't have any problem with the processor.

My Dell X50v has a 624mhz processor which is plenty fast. I use Iguidance btw, and I have found it very easy to use, and the maps have been pretty up to date.

I have a Belkin BT gpa receiver and it also has the two different kind of antennas, but I've never had to switch to the more sensitive one.

Demon

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kazmi - that's some pretty awesome information thanks so much! iGuidance 3.0 now supports rerouting on the fly so it won't do the u-turn thing anymore! It's on their website!

Demon - I have a dell axim x30....I am a bit concerned it does 312mhz....so I'm not sure how it will do

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You are welcome :) I'm glad since iG should be equally good to use as TT. Also, my treo 700w has the same speed processor and it handles TT navigation a-ok, so I see no reason why yours won't work with iG. The processor speed would factor in with multi-tasking, when you would want the PPC to do something along with the navigation.

question: how much RAM on your PPC?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this axim has 64megs of ram and is running windows mobile 2003 second edition....multi tasking is not too big an issue....just nav will be fine!

I will obviously have to buy a huge SD card to hold the maps. Few other things:

1) tomtom nav 5 lists axim x30 as compatible but tomtom nav 6 does not
2) I kind of want to go from car to car with this thing which i think is ok when running both on battery but when dragging the chargers around is a pain but this option is less expensive + I can get a better GPS reciever!

More thoughts?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
64 megs should be ample sufficient to run either iG or TT....and like I said, you would need atleast a 1GB card...TT5 fits all the maps on 1.3GB..so I usually carry the regions that I know I might be travelling in...the newer TT6 fits in a 1GB card (better compression).

I think I read somewhere on their site FAQs about the same thing - let me find that..it should technically work since its basically the same basic software with some enhancements..

as for the chargers, I would invest in one of those PDA mounts which come with a connector at the bottom and plug into the cig lighters...Akron makes a bunch of good ones and they even have ones specific for your PDA with built in GPS - hence negating the need to carry a separate BT receiver. All you would need to do is unclasp the mount and transfer to the other car.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
1-866-486-6866 Monday - Friday: 9:00AM to 7:00PM EST
1-978-287-9555 Monday - Friday: 9:00AM to 7:00PM EST
Press 1 for Customer Service when prompted

The 978 number rings in Burlington MA...I have had no problem in getting through when I called last week....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts