Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen or heard of a kit for SR20's that will allow you to use individual weber carbs instead of fuel injection? Because this guy is selling a universal kit on ebay, its for two 45mm weber carbs, I wonder if that will work for an SR20, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
222 Posts
i dunno

im not sure about individul carbs on something like the sr20 , wonder if they flow enough cfm for the sr ? itd be a pain in the ass to tune them too , not to mention you will have to go in every once an awhile to adjuste them for weather or atltitude changes ..id keep the standard injection setup that it has and get the webbers for a original mini cooper or some 4cyl brittish sportscar that could be turned into a racecar . in my opinoin webbers are good for a 1.5 liter engine in a car that you dont need to worry about relaiblity ....

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you think about individual throttle bodies like ive seen some integra's and civic's have?

·
Registered
222 Posts
sr20det

check out a pulsar GTir , it has a Sr20det with quad throttle bodies , works very well from what i hear ,

have seen many kits for DOHC neons , so it must be the way to go but im not sure if the G20 has enough room back there to place it in there .

im guessing there is much more to be gained since flow would be more even as opposed to all the cylanders trying to suck there air out the drivers side of the engine , id imagine the far passenger side cyl in the G doesnt get the same flow as the far drivers side , id amost think that if you could meaure torque on the far passenger cyl that it would be more than the far drivers , but like i say thats a guess ,on stock low ports there is a open area the air encounters before running down the runners into the head so maybe it evens out im not sure

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For what it costs though, not talking about the GTiR's quad tb's but a custom fabrication, its not really worth it I think, they can get very expensive that ive seen on honda b16/b18 motor's but it would be nice to have it if your getting the GTiR motor:)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Re: sr20det

JDMP10 said:
Has anyone ever seen or heard of a kit for SR20's that will allow you to use individual weber carbs instead of fuel injection? Because this guy is selling a universal kit on ebay, its for two 45mm weber carbs, I wonder if that will work for an SR20, what do you guys think?
Cool, but a total PITA. Individual TB EFI would be a better choice. They already exist to bolt onto a webber manifold. If you are stuck on carbs, Mikunis are a better choice, but still no where near as good as individual TB EFI.

stoneage_tech said:
im not sure about individul carbs on something like the sr20 , wonder if they flow enough cfm for the sr ? itd be a pain in the ass to tune them too , not to mention you will have to go in every once an awhile to adjuste them for weather or atltitude changes ..id keep the standard injection setup that it has and get the webbers for a original mini cooper or some 4cyl brittish sportscar that could be turned into a racecar . in my opinoin webbers are good for a 1.5 liter engine in a car that you dont need to worry about relaiblity ....
Oh no. A 40DCOE or 45DCOE will flow more than any NA SR20DE could ever want. The problem is carbs suck and Webers are a PITA.

JDMP10 said:
What do you think about individual throttle bodies like ive seen some integra's and civic's have?
Much better idea. Any additional power you would get from them is from the short runners you would make between the head and the plenum. They would also improve the throttle response.

stoneage_tech said:
im guessing there is much more to be gained since flow would be more even as opposed to all the cylanders trying to suck there air out the drivers side of the engine , id imagine the far passenger side cyl in the G doesnt get the same flow as the far drivers side , id amost think that if you could meaure torque on the far passenger cyl that it would be more than the far drivers , but like i say thats a guess ,on stock low ports there is a open area the air encounters before running down the runners into the head so maybe it evens out im not sure
Nah, the #1 cylinder doesn't get less air. If it did, it would run lean and blow up. Think about that. The MAF measures total air mass and the ECU doesn't measure what is entering each individual runner.

JDMP10 said:
For what it costs though, not talking about the GTiR's quad tb's but a custom fabrication, its not really worth it I think, they can get very expensive that ive seen on honda b16/b18 motor's but it would be nice to have it if your getting the GTiR motor:)
Yep. Cool, but expensive and by themselves, they probably don't add any more power than a short runner intake manifold.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The carbs the guy is selling is the 45DCOE, brand new, a pair for 266, not bad I think. How hard do you think it is to convert a fuel injection import like a sr20 into a carb in order to use these, I know its not worth it but I was just curious, in a way I would love to have those carbs on a sr20 the biggest reason being that youll stand apart from practically any sr20 car I know of or even with a nice set of individual TB's other then the GTiR's.

·
Registered
222 Posts
hmm

"Oh no. A 40DCOE or 45DCOE will flow more than any NA SR20DE could ever want."

hmm gives me a idea , say if i know where there is a decent datsun roadster that needs a engine , run a rwd sr20 block and head with twin sidedraft webbers and a 280z 5 speed , retro rod !!!

"Nah, the #1 cylinder doesn't get less air. If it did, it would run lean and blow up. Think about that. "

ive thought about it, wouldnt it run rich ? not getting enough air ?im sure the engineers thought about #1 running lean or rich so i guess its not a problem . i remeber a friend of mine telling me #8 in a 351 ford clevland commonly doesnt get the right air so its tricky to find a good aftermarket manifold for them, must be where i started thinking about this.......... heats getting to me too i think , 4 days now 125 and 87% humidity ,when i fart it feels like A/C.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Re: hmm

stoneage_tech said:
hmm gives me a idea , say if i know where there is a decent datsun roadster that needs a engine , run a rwd sr20 block and head with twin sidedraft webbers and a 280z 5 speed , retro rod !!!
Heck yeah. That would be way cool. Folks have put DEs and DETs in them, but with a set of Mikunis (far less finicky than Webers) it would be way cool.

stoneage_tech said:
ive thought about it, wouldnt it run rich ? not getting enough air ?
DOH!!! Throw a banana my way. I'll slink back into my hole now.

You're right.

·
Registered
222 Posts
oh

"Heck yeah. That would be way cool. Folks have put DEs and DETs in them, but with a set of Mikunis (far less finicky than Webers) it would be way cool."

Mikunis , we have those on the racecar , 440cc snowmobile engine with twin Mikunis , kinda fun once you get it set up initialy . hell youll see them run probably once you get the 944 up and running , class is called f500 , damn things corner like a roller coaster .....

·
Registered
306 Posts
My WAY-COOL rod idea...

Take one of those SUPERFORMANCE or Caterham 7 (Lotus Super 7 copies) and drop in your rear drive SR20 power with the sidedraft weber/mukuni setup (no ECU, injection, etc. to mess with). Very retro to go with the body style, VERY powerful and super light weight. Top it off with a header and stainless custom side exit exhaust. Cam and tune to a very streetable 200+ HP. I wonder what you'd have to race against in the autocrosses? Problem is: Where to you carry your Kumho's (race tires) when you drive to the autocrosses?
Just daydreaming......:tired:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts