Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the option of getting a bigger intercooler on my setup, but I'm not sure if it's necessary an upgrade. Its the same height and depth, but its much longer.
I really actually want it for more of a cosmetic upgrade... The old one was a JGY/Spearco bar and plate and the new one is a tube and fin.

My current setup is:
RR head, DET bottom
GT2835, Mototron 60#
2.5" exhaust

here are some pix, what do you guys think?

btw, i posted the same on sr20forum...

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
That would definitely give you more exposed surface area which is always a good thing. Plus, as Jason mentioned, it'd fill up the gap and look sick!

If you do get the new one, I'll buy your old one from you. Been looking for an intercooler that size...all the ones I find are too large for my tastes, and I don't want to do a lot of bumper cutting.

·
Administrator
5,872 Posts
I'd do it Alex, it would fill in the gaps perfectly, and as Nelson said you'll have a little more surface area.

·
Registered
978 Posts
junknstuff said:
it would fill up that gap much better
That's what she said...

hahahhaa.

More surface area, better cooling, and better = good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
bigger it's better my Friend...!!! of course you should istall the bigger intercooler, gets around 6 to 10 Hp. more!!, but you need to change your exhauts,
2.5 it's to narrow..!! the real set up is ""3 inches All the way..!! from down pipe to cat back.
promise you around 15 HP + more..!!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Since you already got the part. You should just put it in. The majority of the cooling comes from the fins and just by looking at it you just increased your surface area by about 33%. The end tanks don't cool and those would be hidden behind the opening of the bumper. Plus if you decide to up the psi ... there should be even more efficiency in it. I think Carlos is right on the exhaust too.. kinda restrictive for a turbo car.. If NA i say 2.5 is fine.. forced induced needs to be increased! In fact, go on a dyno run with before and after! at each step!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fa sho with the exhaust upgrade... i'm currently saving for/researching a new exhaust for my car.. i want quiet, stock lookin, and flow-y

ummm my main concern is the fact that its tube/fin as opposed to bar/plate
i wonder if the larger surface are is enough to make up the difference

·
Registered
236 Posts
EvilYak said:
the bar and plate really is not necessary for you. the gains are minimal, especially under low boost

·
Registered
599 Posts
EvilYak said:
fa sho with the exhaust upgrade... i'm currently saving for/researching a new exhaust for my car.. i want quiet, stock lookin, and flow-y

From what I read, it seems that tube/fin is better then bar/plate. Most OEM's use bar/plate because they last longer, but most aftermarkets use tube/fine. According to:
Linky

"Tube & fin cores penetrate the ambient air (channel the cooling air) better - less disturbance - than plate tube & fin cores which penetrate just better than bar & plate cores. Remember that in front mount applications, this has a small effect on the engine water temperature, by slowing the air speed & volume, before it reaches the radiator."

I figure its better for the radiator and since air can flow through more easily you can get better heat dissipation. So over all I think it would better!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I also read this:

Bar and plate construction has a higher fin density and a greater mass so it acts like a heat sink and soaks up heat more efficiently at lower air speeds, releasing it to the air stream once air speed increases. They weigh more but are better at exchanging heat.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gonna test fit it and think about it for a few days...
sorry nelson my roommate has dibs on it, pretty much since i turboed my car

·
Registered
20 Posts
id go with what TE's02p11G said and go with the tube fin design since it allows the air to flow greater. Also the fins are what cool the exchange of air

1 - 20 of 26 Posts