Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that a larger intercooler means more lag. so would a intercooler thats like 30" x 4" x 2.75 or sumthing be bad since the lenght is soo long although the height and width is small?

and does anyone know the size of the opening of a p11 front bumper? i know its small thats y i was thinking about getting a long but short IC

suggestions?

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
oh yea

Funny, thats the first that I heard of intercooler size affecting turbo lag.

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
believe me, it does. think about it, if you have a larger intercooler that means air has to travel more distant meaning longer to get through the IC. therefore resulting in more lag, thats is why you dont wanna buy a intercooler too big for a certain application.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
I don't think you could nicely install an intercooler big enough to properly fit the P11 and effect lag that much. Go grab a measuring tape and take some measurements. ;)

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
G-Forces said:
I don't think you could nicely install an intercooler big enough to properly fit the P11 and effect lag that much. Go grab a measuring tape and take some measurements. ;)

Thanks for the clear up fearless leader. I didnt believe what I was reading.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
GTA_G20 said:

Thanks for the clear up fearless leader. I didnt believe what I was reading.
I think the key word is nicely there. You could obviously put in an intercooler that is enormous and you'd probably get a huge pressure drop across it. But I'm imagining this G20 driving around using an intercooler as a bumper. ;)

You'll get more benefits out of a properly sized intercooler than you'll lose in pressure drop. I do believe you can go too big, but I think we'd be talking about a ridiculous intercooler. I've heard some of the top turbo guys say to fit the biggest intercooler you phycially can.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
akuma810 said:
i know that a larger intercooler means more lag. so would a intercooler thats like 30" x 4" x 2.75 or sumthing be bad since the lenght is soo long although the height and width is small?
If you can fit it use it. You're better of with it than without. I've heard of people using bigger. ;)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
ive got a sketch of my intercooler and sizes on my site. checkout one of the updates pages and youll find it there, also there are some pics of it installed later on in the updates. The core is 80mm thick. Big enough, but not to effect lag i reckon, some bumper mod needed though.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Another thing to think about is the IC effieciency (i think that's the correct term). It also plays a role in how the IC performs. If you get a big, but crappy IC it'll suck just like one that's too small, or way too big would suck. I know forge motorsports is supposed to make some really nice IC's. I just helped install one on a 200sx SE-R about a week ago, fit nicely, I really didn't need to cut much too much out of the bumper. Quality looked top notch too.

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
P11GT: thanks mang, i know i saw sumone doing the measurments sumwhere but i forgot.

JustinP10: yeah i know, i think the one im getting has a spearco core which i think is pretty good? if not then i might go get the forge one from the se-r guy.

G-Forces: haha of course imma use a intercooler, i just dont want an intercooler too big for my application. y have that extra little lag when i dunt need it. well im probably gonna get sumthing very long and short, since i see no objections from anyone that this will be inefficient.

·
Registered
290 Posts
has anyone installed a forge ic unit in their p10 yet? Are their any modifications that need to be made? I know they fit just fine in the b14 however but no quite as well in the b13. Just thought i'd ask before I start the process.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts