Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went a bit nuts recently & fitted some lil Leds to my front turning lights (Euro model)

The plan was to have the corner lights on as white unless the indicators were on & then obviously they changed to amber ........

Replaced my clear but amber when lit bulbs, with ice white led clusters for main turning. Drilled lil holes in the sides of the lamp bodywork (so ya couldn't see from the outside O' course) mounted 4 group white 2.1v led clusters & resistors. Both sides. wired em to the side lights. Built a lil switching box for each side with relays etc..... So when the turn signal came on the white leds went out & vica versa ........

£50 worth of soldering lil boxes, relays, shrink tubing, yadda yadda later ........ & Mr MOT man went NO WAY DUDE....... So I thought umm just disconect a lil thingi when goin for a MOT test......... Cops pulled me over tonight ........ Moan moan ................. He didn't like my lil adjustement at all......... Now I gotta have my car tested & a cert provided or I gets a fine ........ BASTARDS ...... Don't they have anything better to do ? :smoke:

:beard:

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dunno what the legal situation is ....... What I do know is I have had the car certified with my mod disconected ..... I give up

Gonna get the back wiper to come on automatically if the front wipers are on & the car is in reverse next ........ See what happens :beard:

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You want a pickkie of a flashing light ?

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
Hey JM can you very specifically breakdown for me how you did the relay bit that allowed the constant signal to shut off when the amber turn signal kicked in. I have led bulbs in the corner that are white when constant and blink amber when I signal. But the constant signal (white led) stays on even while signaling. BTW, I rewired the corners to be 1157 bulbs so I have a constant(parking lamp) and turn signal feed to it.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a changeover relay that interupted the constant supply (NC) when the relay was energised from the turn signal

Kinda like that ......... One for each side ;)

Connect only where tickked in red & ignore cross in blue :asian:

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
J..M said:
Gonna get the back wiper to come on automatically if the front wipers are on & the car is in reverse next ........ See what happens :beard:
When I can next be arsed to do a lil wiring, I recon' this lil setup will activate the rear wiper if the front wipers are on & reverse gear is selected.........

(The idea being that if you forget to turn the rear wiper on you don't have to twist your self back again ...... Ok I'm lazy)

On looking at this idea at first it seems that you could just use one wire (from rev lamp to rear wiper switch) ........ However that would have the undesired effect of having the rear wiper activating when the front wipers wern't on .......... In theory you shouldn't need any additional fusing ....... wether its advantagous or not I dunno ..... Havent done it yet :shock:

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
J..M said:
I used a changeover relay that interupted the constant supply (NC) when the relay was energised from the turn signal

Kinda like that ......... One for each side ;)

Connect only where tickked in red & ignore cross in blue :asian:

Thanks for the info. Im gonna get on this but can you please clarify:

So a 5 pin 30v change over relay is what I want. BTW, layman here, what is the normally closed? Is it 12v from the battery?

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hamzer11 said:
Thanks for the info. Im gonna get on this but can you please clarify:

So a 5 pin 30v change over relay is what I want. BTW, layman here, what is the normally closed? Is it 12v from the battery?
The term "Change ove relay" to a car parts store will decide the number of connections required

30V noooooooooooo yas thinking of 30amp ....... & thats like WAY TOO BIG ....... ok over engineering is good ...... & if theys cheap as chips get one & have a go ....... Personally I thing it might be a bit too slow to react (I may be wrong)

NC Normally closed ...... Is the satate of the switch un-energised...... just before you do owt to it ....... the contacts are closed, thus power can run through them

12v is the voltage that comes from the battery

As we are dealing with Leds here I think a trip to the Realistic/Tandy store may be in order....... the total load on this occasion will be all of 1 amp at the absolute most ....... In reality it will be less than 75% of that ....... But when we deal with DC current of such low current, the components become so small you could loose them if dropped & they bounce under the sofa ....... I used lil communications relays (They are called that as they are manufactured to become part of a switchboard) either way I paid about £3.00 each for them. They are good enough for the job, however you do need to know how to solder...... Nice & neat & all that

I spose if pushed & paid enough I could make you a kit ......... Same as what I did, but with terminals for you to connect ........ But we are looking £50+labour+shipping umm call it £80 all in ($152) which as you can imagine is prohibative :smoke:

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

$152 for two shipped to any of the contenentals

JM Inc ;)

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah it will do it .....

Massive but well applicable....... migh be slow to react tho ........ You want me to find you somthing a lil less industrial ?

What electronic stores do you have close by ?

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
J..M said:
Yeah it will do it .....

Massive but well applicable....... migh be slow to react tho ........ You want me to find you somthing a lil less industrial ?

What electronic stores do you have close by ?
The one that is equivalent to the Tandy store thing is Radioshack. Other than that there are only local stuff or internet stuff. When you say slow to react, you mean slow to turn off the constant or slow to start the signaling, or both?

Totally new to this stuff so bear with me.

Here is what they have...http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=relay&origkw=relay

I think they may call change over relay something else because a google search only finds stuff in the UK.

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
I think I found the answer, its called a SPDT relay...

SPDT Relay : (Single Pole Double Throw Relay) an electromagnetic switch, consist of a coil (terminals 85 & 86), 1 common terminal (30), 1 normally closed terminal (87a), and one normally open terminal (87).

When the coil of the relay is at rest (not energized), the common terminal (30) and the normally closed terminal (87a) have continuity. When the coil is energized, the common terminal (30) and the normally open terminal (87) have continuity.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All happy then :)

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
J..M said:
All happy then :)
Almost: they have a few different styles in the link I posted for Radioshack. Also, you didn't quite clarify the meaning of slow to react. I know I'm borderline bothersome on the topic but I prefer to learn from your experience rather than waste money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts