Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Intrax Springs!?!?!?!?!?!

YO..I GOT SOME INTRAX SPRINGS IN MY P11 AND THEY ARE PRETTY BOUNCY..... I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE WITH INTRAXs TOO CAN TELL ME IF THEY STOP BEING AS BOUNCY WHEN THEY HAVE BEEN IN FOR A WHILE AND ARE BROKEN IN.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I just bought some Intrax Springs used. I'm going to give them a shot to see how I like them. I'm expecting a bouncy ride, but is it THAT bad? Also - what kind of wheels do you have - rim/tire combo. And do you have any pictures

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Re: Intrax Springs!?!?!?!?!?!

JerPinoyBoi said:
YO..I GOT SOME INTRAX SPRINGS IN MY P11 AND THEY ARE PRETTY BOUNCY..... I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE WITH INTRAXs TOO CAN TELL ME IF THEY STOP BEING AS BOUNCY WHEN THEY HAVE BEEN IN FOR A WHILE AND ARE BROKEN IN.

No.

They will remain bouncy and will blow your shocks. I would get some new shocks. I went through this headache when I first got my car 2.5yrs ago. It bounced and bounced for 6 months until finally the shocks were completely wrecked.

Thats what happens when you skimp on suspension and lower your car too much.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Like he said, plus...

Get KYB AGX adjustable shocks. ;)

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Re: Like he said, plus...

MR. RYTE said:
Get KYB AGX adjustable shocks. ;)
DITTO

·
Registered
664 Posts
Where can I get KYBs and how much do they go for?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ok! Why is this so hard?! I did a search on the internet for "KYB AGX Infiniti G20" and I couldn't find ANYTHING for the P11! I even tried e-mailing www.shox.com and they said that they are not available for my car. Tire rack doesn't have anything for the 99 G20 either?! Are the P10s the same - should I just get those? What do other P11 G owners do when it comes to shocks/struts?

·
Registered
836 Posts
My father, who is an infiniti master technician, said that the springes will not affect the shocks on your car. Obviously, lowering it will decrease the ride quality, but if installed correctly, they will not harm any part of your suspension system, shocks, struts and all.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well I hope so. Unfortunately I now have to wait until next weekend to get them installed. I can't wait to see how sweet it makes my G look. I just hope the ride quality isn't REALLY bad.

Off topic -> JBLoudG20 .. I love that name. Do you have a lot of JBL equipment in your G? I'm pumping 4 JBL Grand Touring 10" subs and they knock. Just can't wait to get money for a JBL BP1200.1 to power them correctly.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
JBLoudG20 said:
My father, who is an infiniti master technician, said that the springs will not affect the shocks on your car.
That is not true. Granted they won't damage anything but trust me when I say they WILL shorten the life of your shocks dramatically. Within 4-6 months your stock shocks will need replacing.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
My father, who is an infiniti master technician, said that the springes will not affect the shocks on your car. Obviously, lowering it will decrease the ride quality, but if installed correctly, they will not harm any part of your suspension system, shocks, struts and all.
Come on! He is a master technician and he stated that? :-\

Not to be harsh on him or anything, but does he have any experience with lowering springs? and/or the aftermarket scene? They can cause havoc to a cars suspension. They can cause the car to bottom out, slamming the suspension and could eventually throw the car out of alignment. Not to mention, depending on the set-up, cause uneven wear on the tires. And, even if they are installed properly, they will blow out stock struts within a much shorter life span than if they were the stock springs.

The stock struts/springs were designed to travel a specific distance to provide a comfortable, yet firm, sporty ride. If you shorten the amount of travel the strut has, it will indeed bottom out and eventually blow the strut. Several companies sell shortened struts just for this reason. The other option is most people who install shorter springs with stock struts will also cut out a portion of the upper bump stop so that the strut will still have similiar traveling distance without bottoming out.

I have to disagree with your father as I believe many others will too.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
JBLoudG20 said:
:confused:And he's a MASTER technician?!?:confused:
Same here. Like Nismo PC, I certainly don't want to disrepect your father but he's certainly misinformed about stiffer springs not affecting the stock shocks. You DID tell him you have lowering springs on your car right?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ok Let me restate that, My dad does have a little experience with aftermarket mods, mostly with his older mustangs. He does know that it will shorten the life of the struts (which my car does not have). As with any mod done to the car, it will be responsible for decreasing the life span of affected part. (yes I know there are some exceptions) What he and I am trying to say is that depending on the age of the suspension is what will determine how it will react to the lowering. Foe example, my 92 has mostly 96 G20 parts because the previous owner was a moron. Im not going to get into this now... My Intrax springs will be on in about a month, and my father doen not expect to see any problem for a couple of years. However, his job does not require him to deal with aftermarket mods. (that is his job as a father lol)

By the way he has over 30 years of nissan experience and has been with Infiniti since its introduction. I'd like to thank all of you for being so polite about correcting my post. And about a year ago Infiniti National Headquarters recognized my father as an outstanding mechaninc for the state of CT. (can you tell im proud of him? And glad I have him to do all my work for me. and for FREE!!!)

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
JBLoudG20 said:
My Intrax springs will be on in about a month, and my father doen not expect to see any problem for a couple of years.
At most they will last 6 months depending on how new your shocks are. They will just start to get really bouncy.

By the way he has over 30 years of nissan experience and has been with Infiniti since its introduction. I'd like to thank all of you for being so polite about correcting my post.
I'm sure your dad is a good tech, but like you said he doesn't have much experience with aftermarket parts. This will probably be a learning experience for him.

My experience has shown that stock shocks on any kind of uprated lowering spring do not last past a year. I've seen stock shocks come off a lowered car where the rod would move with hardly any effort. The springs weren't on the car for more than a year.

·
Registered
836 Posts
AHAHAHA Following G2002's trend to find my first post, I am led here.

Thought I'd set the record straight who was right, too...

Over 2 years now with B&G's, on stock shocks... guess who was right :lol:

But everyone KNEW they would blow 6 months TOPS... :evil: get your facts straight...

Shocks are still perfect, and I still have no intention of replacing them.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
JBLoudG20 said:
AHAHAHA Following G2002's trend to find my first post, I am led here.

Thought I'd set the recode straight who was right, too...

Over 2 years now with B&G's, on stock shocks... guess who was right :lol:

But everyone KNEW they would blow 6 months TOPS... :evil: get your facts straight...

Shocks are still perfect, and I still have no intention of replacing them.
We're not wrong.....you're just lucky......:evil: :lol: :p ;)

Well, as long as they are working out for you then that's all good.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
836 Posts
luck, schmuck :lol:

I know three other guys dropped on stock shocks, still running fine...

·
uruG 02G
7,417 Posts
JBLoudG20 said:
luck, schmuck :lol:

I know three other guys dropped on stock shocks, still running fine...
How would you know what fine is if you've not experienced stiffer shocks? You could put on stiffer shocks and slap your self in the fore head and say "DANG, Look what I've been missing for 2 years!" It's a fact that stiffer shocks with stiffer spring rates ride better... otherwise, why wouldn't race teams just use factory suspension components? Why would there even be a market for stiffer aftermarket shocks? I say you're comparing apples to oranges, and all you've been eating is apples... :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts