Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ite, i told my dad about my interest in the g20 and 2day he came home with the consumer reports review of it.. they slammed it, and said it was just a bad attempt at a bmw 3 series.. it also showed the stats of how fast it goes..0-30 in about 4.5, and 0-60 in about 11 seconds... that sounds horrible.. is the car realy this slow? plz someone tell me its not, and ther lying or sumthing, cuz i love the car, but i cant take it if its gona take me more than 4 seconds to hit 30.. replyy:dead: :(

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
esic said:
ite, i told my dad about my interest in the g20 and 2day he came home with the consumer reports review of it.. they slammed it, and said it was just a bad attempt at a bmw 3 series.. it also showed the stats of how fast it goes..0-30 in about 4.5, and 0-60 in about 11 seconds... that sounds horrible.. is the car realy this slow? plz someone tell me its not, and ther lying or sumthing, cuz i love the car, but i cant take it if its gona take me more than 4 seconds to hit 30.. replyy:dead: :(

hmm depending on what your comparing the g20 to... and tell us, how much is the bmw?? it better be near 20k if your gonna be comparing with that car...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well if your dad is gonna buy you an M3 or something, by all means, go for it. But knowing dads, he probably was thinkin' to buy you a cheap shitbox for under $5000 so you can drive yourself to school, am I right? In that case, the G20 is a GREAT car and it's a perfect alternative to a Honda Accord/Civic or a Toyota Corolla/*gasp* or a TERCEL....

Any consumer reports you find will generally slam the G20 hard because it didn't do well in the US market. . But the G20 was never really meant to be a luxury car of any kind, and Nissan kinda stuffed it into that position, simply because nothing else in the lineup really fits "entry level luxury" *at least back then*But compare the G20 to cars of it's type and it's actually very nice. I agree that it probably wasn't worth the money, but nowadays, they're a GREAT deal because the G35 is replacing them.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
What would you rather have... a honda civic/accord or a toyota tercel/corrola/celica, or an Infiniti G20? They are not even really in the same class. The closest thing to it would be the Acura Integra if you think about it. Entry level car from a luxury brand. The new IS300 is quite a bit more than a P11, same with the newer Benz C240 (i think that's the sedan)-> low 30's, there's also the 3 series BMW's, still talking close to $30,000.

For the low 20K range, even high 18-19xxx range I don't think there's really many cars that compare to the G20 as far as fit, finish, and reliability.

As for speed, it's not the greatest, but I know that mine now as is could go out and run a 7.x 0-60 right now, and that's at almost 3000 ft in elevation. 11 second I'd assume would be an auto g20.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I ran a 17.5 with almost no mod's and the good old slush box at Sears point a couple weeks ago. Im pretty sure I could HIGH 16's if I got my launch down. ;)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Sigh....

Let's be real folks. How many times a day do you actually do 0-60? Yes, the G20 isn't the quickest off the line but that really doesn't matter when your on the street, in bumper to bumper traffic or just cruising at a steady rate on the freeway. BMW means high-performance but also means high maintenence too. In terms of practicality, reliability and performance, the G20 is the best choice. ;) The only time I'd consider the European luxury marques is after I hit the lottery.
:-\

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: Sigh....

MR. RYTE said:
Let's be real folks. How many times a day do you actually do 0-60? Yes, the G20 isn't the quickest off the line but that really doesn't matter when your on the street, in bumper to bumper traffic or just cruising at a steady rate on the freeway. BMW means high-performance but also means high maintenence too. In terms of practicality, reliability and performance, the G20 is the best choice. ;) The only time I'd consider the European luxury marques is after I hit the lottery.
:-\

I do several 0-60 runs every day. The highway I drive on to go to work has a 55 mph speed limit and a number of stoplights. Sooner or later I get stopped at one next to a Civic or Corolla with a cocky 17 year old driver. I feel it's my duty to let them eat my dust. I know my place, though; I'm not about to challenge a BMW or Altima 3.5 SE.

I totally agree when it comes to BMW reliability. I have yet to hear someone say, "My BMW is the most reliable car I ever owned. It never breaks down." It's just not true. BMW's are made to perform, and they do that well. That's about it. They look good too, but that's just because I know what's under the hood. Using a BMW as a daily driver would only be feasible if you have a back-up car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if your dad is gonna buy you an M3 or something, by all means, go for it. But knowing dads, he probably was thinkin' to buy you a cheap shitbox for under $5000 so you can drive yourself to school, am I right? In that case, the G20 is a GREAT car and it's a perfect alternative to a Honda Accord/Civic or a Toyota Corolla/*gasp* or a TERCEL....

my dad isnt buying me a car at all, i have been saving the money.. the only way i can get a bmw is if i lease, but i dont want to because then u cant mod the car. It is clear that the infiniti is much less than the bmw, but it oly has like 145 hp rite? the civic si, although u see them all the time, has 160, and it is a 2 door, and the infiniti is a 4, meaning it is heavier... 0-30 in 4.5 is realy bad as well.. it is not 2 often that i go 0-60, but i do go 0-30 pretty often. Ever since ive gotten interested in the g20, i havent been looking at other cars realy, but if it is this slow, i might have to..

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Look, you can get a Civic Si if you want, by all means, but do you really wanna look like your neighbor, or his neighbor, or his neighbor's dog's grandmother's second cousin? Everybody has a Civic, and they all say "oh, I mod my car to look unique." Why is it then that they all look the same? If you wanna stand out in the crowd then get the G20. Think about it: you get your modded G20, pull up next to a Civic to hear him say "oh, what is that, some generic car...G20" then pull away. Implant it in his mind how great a G20 is. Sure it's not the best thing stock, but it has a SR20DE! The SR engines have FAR more potential than any Honda B series, so unless you really plan on keeping your car stock, I'd still stick with the G20.

Not to say that the Civic's handling sucks, but the G20 also handles better. It's nicer. It looks better. It's more comfortable to sit in. It has four doors. So what? Some Skylines have four doors too and we don't scoff at that. WRXs and even Lancer Evolutions have four doors. Is it really that big a deal to you?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Instead of just looking at the numbers why don't you go take one out for a test drive and see if you like it or not.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I felt the same way you did dawg. Knowing that a 5spd civic could beat me in my auto p11 sucks. But you won't imagine how many people will tell you that your car is tight. It is a very good looking classy car. It just needs a heart transplant. Stock, the G20 really looks bad. Throw a few simple engine mods, and your a little quicker. I don't care if I lose to a civic as long as I look good losing. But i don't think we should clown on civics b/c a lot of em out there can dam well beat us in a race. Just weigh your options my friend.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
. But i don't think we should clown on civics b/c a lot of em out there can dam well beat us in a race. [/B]

Yeah, but we can damn well beat a lot of them too. It's not all about the car. A LOT of winning is done by the driver, not the just the car.

I find a lot of Civic drivers thinking they're a lot better than they really are. I think it comes down to that trend of putting Si stickers on your when you're a DX, putting Skyline lights on your car because maybe then you'll be as fast as a Skyline, putting a big wing on your car JUST IN CASE you're ever gonna peg over 120mph on your daily drive to school, etc.....:-\

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
FF Drifter said:

Yeah, but we can damn well beat a lot of them too. It's not all about the car. A LOT of winning is done by the driver, not the just the car.

I find a lot of Civic drivers thinking they're a lot better than they really are. I think it comes down to that trend of putting Si stickers on your when you're a DX, putting Skyline lights on your car because maybe then you'll be as fast as a Skyline, putting a big wing on your car JUST IN CASE you're ever gonna peg over 120mph on your daily drive to school, etc.....:-\

haha everything but the skyline lights i agree with. thats just for the looks. the wing, hahaha do they think their civics are more intimidating with it on? they should realize that it just looks ridiculous :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I've never lost to a stock Civic EX and my car has 108,000 miles on it with the original clutch and timing chain. Lets see a guy with a Civic not have to replace his clutch and timing BELT before that. Civics are reliable, but they require maintainence that only civic owners are used too. (I've heard of people paying as much as 900$ to get their timing belt replaced on a civic, it doesn't even cost that much to do it on a G and it requires alot more indepth work)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Looks, exclusiveness, handling, reliability, upgrade ability...

The G20 is a svelte, but economical luxury sedan, it handles better than an Si, its DEFINITELY more rare(G20?, whats that?), you get a lot more features for your money, and how many hardcore civic owners talk about running a heavily modified 400hp at the crank on stock internals and race gas? A hard core civic owner would prolly say, "Well, time to swap engines and build a hybrid."
A G20 is gonna last a whole lot longer than a civic, Nissan motors are famous for their rock-solidity--The SR20 is legendary for this and for it's high power abilities. One only needs to look at one of the JUN Silvias to see that...(a 700+ horsepower SR20:evil: )

Plus, Infiniti G20 is a whole lot more attractive than, ''Hey babe, wanna ride in my Honda Civic? It's just like yours, your sister's, that guy down the street--but with stickers!''

·
Registered
142 Posts
esic said:
ite, i told my dad about my interest in the g20 and 2day he came home with the consumer reports review of it.. they slammed it, and said it was just a bad attempt at a bmw 3 series..
FF Drifter said:
Any consumer reports you find will generally slam the G20 hard because it didn't do well in the US market. .
Actually, Consumer Reports rated the P10 quite highly, and hailed it as an unappreciated gem. This was one of the reasons I wanted a P10. When the P11 came out, though, the G20 had gained so much weight and the performance bar had been raised so much(by Lexus, BMW, etc.) that the SR20DE could not compete. Also, the CR guys thought the slick handling of the P10 had been lost(possibly due to the "log" in the rear).

In any case, if having a fast car is your number one priority, the G20 is not for you. It takes a several thousand dollar investment to make it fast.

As a package, though, the G20 is a great car--especially the 5 speed.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
just drive the damn thing. I was origionally looking at a Prelude *Gasp* but the P11 handled so much better and was much more fun to drive. It wasnt until about 8 months later that I found out you could do a whole $h*t load of stuff to do to the car and engine, fortunately my job provides some play money sometimes, now im hooked. Ive done almost all the bolt on mods (minus suspension, damn Vegas) and now Im looking at fully rebuilding an engine Im buying and going turbo, plus switching the slush box to manual. Funny, I actually like the automatic, not nearly as fun but still gets me there quicly...

Go drive one and experience the bliss for yourself...

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
yeah.. bottom line is...

If all you are after is 0-30 and 0-60 speed, buy a lightweight tin can sounding car with more power - aka the Sentra SE-r or Civic Si or ????

...but IF you want a more unique car (which CAN be modded) that has more lux appeal... Get the G20 and just enjoy it for what it is!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts