Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...I've got 4 10" JBLs ...nothing spectacular but they hit nice and hard. My question is this - my rearview mirror MOVES positions when my bass kicks. It shakes but it also will TOTALLY shift into another position after a minute or so of bass. It's seriously getting annoying - yes it's nice to show off but annoying for safety reasons.

Also - I just listened to my friends 2 15" Audiobahns (GOD IT'S LOUD) and it doesn't shake anything inside the car (outside rattles like a monster). But my hears will start to hurt in his car. I'm a little confused. How come his doesn't shake anything inside (1988 Toyota Camry!), but will make my ears hurt? Odd.

Anyone else have their mirror move on them?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
rmjjensen said:
Okay...I've got 4 10" JBLs ...nothing spectacular but they hit nice and hard. My question is this - my rearview mirror MOVES positions when my bass kicks. It shakes but it also will TOTALLY shift into another position after a minute or so of bass. It's seriously getting annoying - yes it's nice to show off but annoying for safety reasons.

Also - I just listened to my friends 2 15" Audiobahns (GOD IT'S LOUD) and it doesn't shake anything inside the car (outside rattles like a monster). But my hears will start to hurt in his car. I'm a little confused. How come his doesn't shake anything inside (1988 Toyota Camry!), but will make my ears hurt? Odd.

Anyone else have their mirror move on them?
This may be a long shot, but do you know if he has Dynamat or some other vibration-absorbing material in his car?
:surprised

·
Registered
520 Posts
When my car has been in the heat for a while, it will most definately move out of its position. When my car is cool inside, I really don't have a problem. It's natural for the rearview to move. Can you tighten those things up?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
neither of us have dynamat.

I don't think there's anything to tighten. It's the part that adjusts (like the ball thingy) so you can move the mirror's position. But it'll move by itself.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
you need to dynamat EVERYTHING!!! Buy a ton and get all of it into the car in the trunk walls, ground, lid, doors (front and back) and maybe evn floor cause all those vibrations are hurtin your sounds quality and makin your mirror move. that would be your best bet.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's so expensive! ....period

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
some of my cheaper friends (not that cheaper is bad) put old towels or rags under and in everything and they said it worked pretty well.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh wait. I actually used R-13 Fiberglass House Insulation. Stuffed it under the rugs, holes, and anything place between metal and wood. I think that's why I don't have obsessive trunk rattle. That stuff actually works for $13....and that's for a huge roll. You guys should try using it. In some of my pics you can see the yellow insulation from the side views.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Bass is a funny thing I've had long debates with other audio heads whether or not you actually hear or feel subs in a car enviroment...I've been into car audio now for 7years. One of my first lower end setups were a pair of JBL GT 10's in a hatchback. This bass was extremely tight the kind of bass that hits you in the back of the head and shakes your eyebrows. Then a year later I upgraded the subs to two JBL Power 10's, the ones with the metal injected cones and 5ohm magnets. The bass took on a complete new personality. The bass was just as loud but would massage my lower back.

About your friends ride I'm taking a guess that he has those shiny metal, aluminum I think, autobahn subs. Metal cones, especially aluminums like Eclipse, Infinity Perfects, with the exception of alumapro's need a ton of power or they will clip like crazy. Clipping is when theres not enough power to produce the lower frequency notes so it clips it off hence the name and its very uncomfortable for the ears. Most people really underpower subs and have them hooked up to amps that don't reflect their labeled power when you put them on the bench. Oh, and about the audio section being dead I plan to make it very interesting soon starting with full sound deadening of my p10 in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
i got a custom setup goin into my p10 soon too, gonna involve acustom box, some plexiglass, and some neon lights. i can't wait.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OG20 -> Yeah ...that's exactly my JBL GTs...they SLAM hard as hell!

And my friend's audiobahn's are powered by the same amp as me. They take 400W RMS each and the JBL amp has potential to put out 600W RMS to each sub. So they're not clippin....just hitting so DEEP rather than hard that it makes my ears hurt...good stuff.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
It ain't dying' I say!!!

:lol: To answer one of the original questions... YES, my mirror vibrates and moves too!!! =) It doesn't shift BIG TIME, but it will slighty go either down, to the left ot to the right... I know it's my bass... I can feel it... I feel it in my chest and in my lungs when I pump my two Kicker C12's!! The inside on my P10 rattles a bit, but outside is pathetic!!! :p I did even worse and flipped my box over... now my Subs are facing upward... sorta' like hitting the rear speakers/deck... Man... last time I thought my back window was gonna shatter... body metal was bending to the bass... =) I gotta give it up... They pump... I think' I'm going for the Kicker Comp VR's... with dual voice-coil... They handle even more power and give out even deeper and punchier bass!!!!!

No... my ears don't hurt... then again... I must not have them anymore with my system!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

peace!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah....kicker's KNOCK nicely.....always loved them and always hated their price ;) ...but if you got the cizash it's all good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
original question

the true answer to your orginal question (why my 10 rattle the inside and my friends 15's don't) -- is bass waves. a ten inch speakers wave will hit it's peak in a shorter distance then a larger speaker such as a 15. meaning a pair of ten's in an optimum box will sound loud in the car and carry for a distance but a pair of 15's in the optimum box will still be loud in the car but the wave may not fully complete until 100 to 200 feet from the car. hense his interior will not rattle as much as from your 10's. any other questions just e-mail me.

thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts