Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. I've heard so many different things. I've heard that a pulley and cam gear will add 40 HP, is this true? And I've also heard that exhaust system, CAI, headers, cam gears, and pulleys all together only add 25 HP, is this true? Or is it somewhere inbetween?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thats about right. The sr20 gets the best Hp with the turbo upgrade. Now you are looking at some money! But all I have is the header, CAI with the Wolf Pop Charger. Thats about all I need to eat most Super Civics and other cars like that.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There are naturally-aspirated SR20s in the low 140-whp range without cams, but that's pushing it a little, I think. Adjustable cam sprockets aren't really worth much power on an engine without a turbocharger and without new cams, so I wouldn't waste my time on that if I were you. Figure all bolt-ons, S3 cams, a reprogrammed ECU, and a bigger (60mm or so) exhaust system should get about 140-145 peak WHP. You want more, you have to start taking things apart.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
The cowboy has nailed it. I have all bolt-ons minus ECU and pulled 146whp.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I have intake, header, pullies, lightened flywheel, and a Primera/91 intake cam, and advanced timing and I put down a hair under 145whp, that was with my heavier 16's on the car too. I have a feeling with a little more tuning and a nice flowing exhaust I could hit 150 whp w/o afermarket cams. I bet I could problaby just get a lighter flywheel and come close to that number, with the stock exhaust. However, I think I'll just skip that and go for 250 instead :monkey:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Trunuff, trunuff. I think 145 is a reasonable expectation, though. No sense in telling everyone that they will roll a 150 after putting all this stuff on. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
CowboyDren said:
Trunuff, trunuff. I think 145 is a reasonable expectation, though. No sense in telling everyone that they will roll a 150 after putting all this stuff on. ;)

Of course. But, will full bolt ons and JWT cams (say s3's or s4's) it wouldn't suprise me one bit if someone was able to put down 145-155whp. I probably wouldn't be suprised if someone told me they laid down 160whp, but i'd probalby be asking to see a dyno graph for something that high. I just thought those numbers were a tad conservative, just from what i've witnessed at local dyno days.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here is another ECU problem...I hate it ...I hate it!!!:depressed

Bolt-ons:

S3 Cams
HS CAI
HS Header
2.5" Exhaust

Will this put down a sure 150 whp? Acutally, how good are the S3 cams if you cannot get the ECU programmed for it?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
S3s run fine without an ECU, even with the roller engines. No fewer than two members of B15Sentra.net have these cams, one of whom was JWT's road guinea pig. I'd be willing to bet that the S3/Roller grind is actually a little smoother than the S3/Flat grind, but I'm a monkey. With S3s, the idle won't be quite as smooth as stock, but it's probably nothing to worry about. If you can't handle a little dashboard shimmy, you shouldn't be buying cams. ;)

Roller engines seem to put out a little more power than non-rollers, so 150 may not be unreasonable, but I wouldn't exactly sell 'em back if I only got 145. Yes, the ECU issue sucks, but it's not an absolute necessity to keep your car running.

·
Registered
64 Posts
reasonably dumb question has anyone attempted to do the spring upgrades for our roller engines.. i would think before all else including turbo that making our roller rocker system stronger would be a good priority... hell if that was the case i would keep my car NA and work on trying to get the highest compression avaialble for our application ;)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
G-loads said:
Bolt-ons:

S3 Cams
HS CAI
HS Header
2.5" Exhaust

Will this put down a sure 150 whp? Acutally, how good are the S3 cams if you cannot get the ECU programmed for it?

It depends :p Like CowboyDren said, you might be close. The thing is, you didn't list any other engine mods, pullies, flywheel, advanced timing, etc.... If I were to take a wild guess i'd probably guess somewhere in the mid-high 14xwhp range, but all that is is a wild guess. It really depends.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
SR20DEe said:
reasonably dumb question has anyone attempted to do the spring upgrades for our roller engines..
Not yet. Supposedly either Andreas Miko or Jason G Young has a roller head that they're playing with, but nobody's gotten around to fitting an old spring to it yet. I bet that if I got really bored and read the FSM hard enough, I might be able to find the spring dimension tolerences, then compare that to other heads' spring tolerances, just to see if it'd fit. Fitting and actually working may be different things, though.

Another concern is the ramp on the cam lobe. I know that most non-US SR20DEs with roller heads have a 7200 RPM redline (I also read that G20s have this?!?!), and I don't see why we can't go that fast, too. Due to the differences between roller and flat cam lobes, though, and the ramp speed being different, a roller cam lobe may accelerate too quickly for a good valvespring to operate at low and high RPMs efficiently. I'm a monkey, take that idea FWIW. My ultimate goal is a lightweight, 8000 RPM spring so that I can run to 7800 reliably.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Okay so when you guys say 14x - 15x WHP. How much do you think that it at the flywheel. Just a question. To see how much you have gained from the stock Hp level. Im guessing it's about 30 extra Hp. I want to just put the HS CAI, HS header, Greddy Exhaust, Advance the timing to. I'm thinking about 5-10 Hp. Is that right or no. Also do think those mods will put a smile on my face. Just a bunch of questions, to think about. Thanks

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
To know how much you've gained, you're really better off comparing it to a baseline dyno. Asking what N at the wheels is at the crank is a can of worms that I don't really feel like opening today; there's just no easy way to know. BW dynos used to calculate this, but more modern dynos do not. Probably because the numbers were next to worthless. :)

Older cars tend to dyno very consistently at about 115-120 WHP, depending on their state of tune. Fully-bolted and with cams, if you're rolling 145-150, that means you're gaining somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 WHP, which isn't too far off from 30 CHP at these levels of inertial loss.

Those mods, by the way, should make your car very pleasant to drive indeed.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Read my post again.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
how many hps at the wheel does a P10 put out-a stock one ???
Between 120-125 whp. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts