Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright what type of hp increase or 1/4 mile time could i expect to get if i add

1. stillen hi flow-intake
2. Hotshot header

is it worth it?

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Couple tenths maybe.

Is it worth it? I don't know you tell me. I think it worth it. I know there are also people that think it's a rip off.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The Stillen should yield about 3-5 whp and the Hotshot should yield about 10-15 hp. As for 1/4 times, can't say cause I've never measured that.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Why are you getting a Stillen intake when the Hotshot cold air intake is so much better... you would spend about the same money or less since Hotshot performance offers a web combo special when you buy an intake and header together...

http://lion.esosoft.net/hotshot.com/specials.htm

Also you will gain about twice the amount of horsepower with a cold air intake (8 - 10hp) than the stillen intake setup (3-5) ... I personally think its worth it but if you want to get more horsepower for a cheap price, NOS might be a better option although riskier as well.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
There've been numerous posts on this. Some people say that you need a smaller battery, and some people just scoot the battery all the way to the left front edge so the intake piping can fit. I've seen pics *search somewhere on the forum* of both ways to do it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Save your money for forced induction for real HP!!

If you buy all that ish now, you'll probably want to make changes later if you go bigtime, namely a cutom turbo setup. Unless your just looking to free up some Xtra HP. The car is never going to be FAST with a couple of SIMPLE bolt-on's. with that said, save your 500 dollars twards something that matters. Get rims or something. At least it'll look fast!!
I'd personally save for a DE-T and keep the stock alloy rims till later. Mmmm... DE-T!!!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The car is never going to be FAST with a couple of SIMPLE bolt-on's. with that said, save your 500 dollars twards something that matters. Get rims or something. At least it'll look fast!!
I see a conflict there....

The SR20DET swap is probably one of the best "mods" to do to your car. But it all really depends on how high you wanna go. Have deep pockets and need big power? Do the swap, then continue modding from there. Overshooting 300whp will be easy.
But if you just want a little extra pull and don't wanna spend more than a G (no pun intended), just go for the CAI/headers thing. Stick in little cheaper mods like racing pulleys or cams if you wanna go a little higher than that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much will the engine swap cost me...what will be the 1/4 mile time if i just do that and i'm guessing that will definetly ruin my warrenty right?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Engine swap willl always cost more than you expect. So let's expect $2100 or so, and then go up from there. Quarter mile times are pretty much dependent on you and how you "race." I'm sure someone who drag races can answer that question :lick:

And will that void your warranty? Ummm...

HELL YEAH.

·
Registered
23 Posts
this is a stupid question, but Where can one get a DET swap for $2100 Everywhere in the windy city that I have gone to so far has quoted me $4000 and above without the LSD Tranny... :( If this can be done for that price and keep my car reliable then that is the route I would like to take.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
ravenx5 said:
this is a stupid question, but Where can one get a DET swap for $2100 Everywhere in the windy city that I have gone to so far has quoted me $4000 and above without the LSD Tranny... :( If this can be done for that price and keep my car reliable then that is the route I would like to take.
http://www.jgycustoms.com/index.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know JGY can get me the engine, but I still need it installed here in Chicago, I have gotten ridiculos prices so far for installation.. any ideas? And can anyone let me know if the DET is as reliable as the stock engine?

·
Registered
60 Posts
You sound like me with the questions.

I really don't see why you need to put another engine in your car (the DET).

In my opinion and after talking about this with some other G20.net members, turbocharging the the SR20DE already in the G may be the way to go. Hotshot perf. has a kit being tested on a SE-R as we speak. The SE-R is almost the same as the G engine wise.

With the DET your rolling the dice, trust me! especially if you can't do the work yourself. Not to mention your going to have a stock engine after all that work. the DET ranges from 202-247hp depending on which one you get. the 247hp model is not even a viable option as far as I know. So your looking at 200hp, big deal.
Considering what you've paid. If you want more performance from the DET later, (intake larger turbo's strenghtening etc.) you'll be upgrading the same parts in the engine that you could be upgrading in the stock SR20DE already in the car. Confusing shit.
I'm going to stop here. and see. But I think you and I are looking to do the same thing more or less.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Blueboost said:
Hotshot perf. has a kit being tested on a SE-R as we speak. The SE-R is almost the same as the G engine wise.
Keep in mind that that kit in testing right now is for MASSIVE power. They've been selling a more 'mild' kit for years now. F-max also has a bunch of different stage kits they they've been selling for years also. All these kits need custom piping and ECU work (for 99+) if you're to make them work on a G20.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Though I would like to go turbo, I think after looking at all the quotes and stories that I have heard regarding how something has to be replaced every week, I am little distrubed and might just go all engine instead of turbo. I admit it would be cool if I could get a turbo setup but... :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
A properly turbocharged engine is no less reliable than an N/A engine. In fact, i'd say that the turbo engine has an advantage. You can make a lot of power with a turbo without having to upgrade anything in the stock SR20DE block or head. If you want 200HP from an N/A engine, you're going to have to do a lot of mechanical work to the engine itself. Not only is this time consuming and difficult (relatively speaking), but everything has to be very precise with tight tolerances.

I'll take the turbo over the N/A every day and twice on Sunday.

Now, the DET vs. the VE, that's a tougher call...

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Cue-Ball said:
A properly turbocharged engine is no less reliable than an N/A engine.
For some of the less observant members on this forum the key word in that sentance is properly. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts