Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car is at the shop currently, and the mechanic gave me a break down of the cost to repair the car. My question is, does this sound reasonable? I've never really taken my car to a shop so i dont know what it usually cost. Here is the breakdown

$1500:
Pull motor to repair oil leak coming from timing chain area.
Drill whole through fwall to reroute all aftermarket wires, away from the harness.
Reseal VC due to some leak

$750
Although compression looks good throughout all cylinders, he said that the rings might be worn. The cost only covers labor, i have to supply the rings.

$450
He also said i might need tuning, at a rate of $150 an hour and 3 hours at most.

So far im looking at $2700 + parts to get it fully working. Am i getting jipped here? The other thing i havent mentioned yet is that, hes saying the injector o-rings are popping off on the manifold end, causing a vacuum leak. Im running a JGY highport fuel rail with 60lb mototrons. Hes telling me to go get some 740cc sidefeed injectors instead using the stock rail, thats gonna run me another $500-$600, of which i dont really want to do.

W10
gti-r mani
T28

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I'd say your getting ripped off!!!! I think some guy on here bought a brand new motor and had it installed for $2500-$3000..I think...and I believe he had it done at the dealer..just go buy yourself a VE or DET!! :cheese: it won't be smog legal, but it will be a helluva lot faster!!

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
"Rings might be worn" Wow, that's absurd. If the compression is good and you're not burning massive amounts of oil, there's no need to replace them. As for the labor to pull the motor, that's about right, but again, unless it's a major leak, or you want to blow some money, I'd let it ride. As for the tuning, I've never had a car done on a dyno before, so I can't really chime in on that. The VC you could easily do yourself and save some money. Sounds like the guy is trying to take you for a ride man, I'd watch out.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Some guy here on this forum and the sr20 forum will do the same work and probably better for half that amount, or less. Check your local sr20 guys.

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn, i wish my car was up north, its still in socal rotting away. Since im away at school, i cant even work on the car and i dont know of anyone that would be willing to work on it in socal. My social group of sr20 guys are limited at best. Thanks for the input guys, this is my det, its sad to say but, $1500 might be a fair price considering i have no options, i might jsut stick with that until i get the car up north. Then off it goes to b18onboost's place hahaha.

So its positive that if compression is fine, then rings should be fine too correct? The mechanic knows for sure that theres a leak in the VC, which he thinks might be causing the excessive blue/black smoke from the tail.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
black smoke means it's running rich, blue smoke is definitely oil. excessive ring blow-by could be causing the smoke. is it a constant smoking, or just at idle/when you take off from idle?

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im gonna guess hes seeing hte smoke not in gear since the car isnt really running yet. What could be the possible reasons?

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
could be rings or valve stem seals. if the compression is good, it's more likely to be the valve stem seals or guides. it could also be the turbo leaking oil into the intake. without seeing/hearing the car, it's a lot harder to diagnose a problem like that.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
leave it up to the repair shop to hand out rediculus prices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts