Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday my 1993.5 G20 is humming along beautifully, after a sub-freezing night in the lot, too. Started right up. Put ten dollars in Mobil Special and parked for another below-32F night. Went out Saturday afternoon, turned the key in the ignition and... nothing. Dashboard lghts up like a Christmas Tree. Radio goes on, all accessories work. Engine doesn't turn. Dead as a doornail.

Specifically, the new dash lights (ABS disabled since I bought it) are: Oil, Engine, and when I release the eBrake, it stays on, but dimmer.

Vapor lock? I dunno. I open the gas cap-- vacuum released. So I figure the fuel pump is spiffy. Proper oil is in the block.

Check the under-dash fuses for engine control and starter-- they're fine.

I'm thinking, drygas might have been useful? But problem feels deeper.

I've owned this baby for two months and I love it. Bought it at 140K, very clean, well cared for.

Ideas welcome for this newbie.

Lor :(

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
my bet goes towards the starter dieing.

hit it and see if it'll start.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Unfortunately I offer another vote for the starter. Typical starter death is click and nothing. You might coax a few more starts by rapidly moving the key in the ignition from off to start 8 – 10 times.
Hitting the starter with a stick might be satisfying and may also get it going, but the location (left side between fire wall and engine) means you’ll have to get under the car to hit it – and even then it is a hard shot.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
yeh another vote for the starter. mine went when it got colder. on the warmer days it was working good still, but cranked slowly. like others have already said, tap the key a bunch of times or whack it with something

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
hehe youre better off using something longer to hit it, not much room around it to swing

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
yea, get yourself a long screwdriver. Place on edge of bellhousing and give it a good wack. Then, hop back in your car, turn the key, it should fire. Shut the hood and your on your way. Be sure to keep the screwdriver and hammer with you in the car. Once it's happened once, it will happen again.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
^^ +1 i still have a crow bar and hammer in my car from when my starter went

·
Registered
238 Posts
get a boost for the battery same thing happened exactly to me on friday puhahha. Everything lit up like a christmas tree but turn the key and click...click...got a boost and when i got it running i went to get it checked out it turned out to be the battery but no need to replace it, it just happened to be a freak accident maybe i left the light on or something. Actually it could have been also when u turned off the car maybe your heat was blasting as u turned off the ignition or something freaky like that. The weird part is my brakes and shifter were locked lol. I couldnt even move the car even if i wanted to until i got the boost.

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
welcome. It is possible bad or corroded starter soliniod ground. cold will make contacts less conductive.
my stasrter had intermitn problem a month ago(origanal at 145k) i opened up the soliniod and found corrosion inside. cleaned it up and all contacts and starter works like new again.
Im to cheap to buy things if i can fix what i have lol

·
Registered
582 Posts
daveracer said:
Starter or battery. Try to jump it, if that doesn't work, it's the starter.

Wow check out daveracer, helping SOMEONE ELSE out on his FIRST POST!

Welcome to the club man! :naughty:

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Outstanding advice, folks. My mechanic came over, jumped it, identified and replaced the Starter. (He has a nice warm garage.)

The car is fine. And it's subzero with wind chill here...

Thanks again, all.

- L

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.