Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enough is enough! I seem to continue to have shakiness at highway speeds on several of my G's. Usually gets rough around 55 and smooths out at higher speeds. I've had these rebalanced several times, alignment OK, wheel bearings OK, axles OK... Is this just a wheel balance problem? Opinions please!

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Definitely could be warped rotors...or the wheels are bent from hitting something...but usually its either wheel balance or warped rotor.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
On my old Honda, it was cheap ass Autozone axles that kept causing shake at high speed.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Try moving the front tires to the rear and the rears to the front. If there is no change, then you know it is not tires or wheels.

By the way, a tire with a separated belt (internally, can't be seen) will also cause vibration.

I am also assuming that you have had the tire/wheels spin balanced.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen 2 kinds of spin balance. The local discount place spins them at low speed off the car on a machine. In Michigan, I used to take them to Clydes Frame and Wheel in Pontiac (still there??) and they used a high speed system- on the car, power up with an electric motor, strobe to locate the wts. Can't beat that, but haven't seen it since. On the car, and simulating highway speeds, you get the whole wheel, hub, and axle checked.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
lysander said:
I checked- apparently Clyde's is still there. Great place.
Well Mac, considering I live in Waterford, I can definitely tell you that Clydes is still there. They are only about four miles from my house. Had them line up my 69 Montego in October.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Plz don't go thinking the P10 is prone to this.

Our '94 has 232k miles with NO shakes at all (using original halfshafts/oldschool MOMO 14's & cheapo tires).

Good luck finding the problem.

Report back what it was. :nerd:

·
Registered
233 Posts
my car does the vibrating when i brake...so im figuring i have warped rotors...
im pretty sure of it tho cuz my brakes wore out unexpectedly faster than normal...so when i went to go change them...the brake pad was kinda scraping the rotor

i would recheck the axels...

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
yes the rotors will give you vibrtion when brakeing. unles the wher so warped that the would be half the sise on one side than the other wich is not posible. Im glad my p10 does not do this. it may be the way the rim fits the car. i have had my limits in tkeing care or wheel shimmy with cars with custom wheels.
I have taken car of mark's (bichuos g)s shimmys by balenceing his tires. but im assumeing spec v wheels fit his p11 bette rthan most ftermarket wheels fit other cars.
not sure what wheels you got and not to confident in the people ballenceing your wheels

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
well is anything playing or bent?mabe you could post up your allighnment specs. Something is deffinetlty not right.
I have burryed my speedo and never gotton any shakes. actually i find the p10 like to handle a bit beter at the high speed

·
Administrator
5,863 Posts
I have this problem at about 75mpg+.

Rotors are fine, axles are new, wheels are not bent, many many balances, and still no fix. (They check every time when they balance for bends in my wheels because I keep saying the balancing doesn't help).

I'm replacing the steering rack on my car next, though I have other signs that it is going out, check your tie rod ends and tie rods, also the boots, one side of mine is destroyed (the side that happens to be shaking, can feel it through the wheel).

·
Prince of Joy
4,614 Posts
How worn down are your tires? If you can justify buying new ones, go to Discount Tire and get them Ride Matched to your rims. Ride Matching is a wheel balance under load (simulates weight on the tire) and it makes a HUGE difference. Every time I have done that I have had a completely smooth ride. Last time I didnt do it, I couldnt seem to get them to balance right and had a vibration at around 80 mph.

You could also try swapping out with another set of rims/tires if you have em. It could be brake rotors but I doubt it.

- Greg -

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm having the same issue, its a minor shimmy, but I mean, I got brand new 15" steelies and just had them road force balanced by an infiniti dealer. still have a shimmy from 65mph to about 80mph.

way annoying.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm also having this same issue. When I drive in the freeway like about once a week at high speeds my sterring wheel vibrates. I jus had my wheels balanced like a month ago or so. For couple of weeks I was driving with unbalanced wheels and felt a huge vibration like crazy and was staying away from driving at high speeds. So I got them balanced & aligned, but when driving at high speeds I can feel a little vribration. Ugh it bothers me I want to enjoy my driving hehe.

What is a warped rotor?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts