Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never really looked at one of these to close but they are sweet(trunk needs a nicer looking spoiler to make you think its not ugly:nervous: ) I was at the scrap yard the other day and was looking through one the interior is really nice and it has a 7000rpm redline 210hp ? Wondering since its rear drive and basically has a 300 zx NA engine cant you swap it with a twin turbo 300zx engine hook up an intercooler and have a 5sp trans ???? F**K that would be nice =) =) =) IS IT POSSIBLE ??? with lots of money :*( :*(

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Have you seen the videos online of that sc300 (I think that's what it is) that has the pretty well modded turbo Supra motor in it? it's nice.

You may be able to fit a 300zxtt motor in a j30, but have you ever tried to work on a 300zxtt? the engine comparment is packed tighter than any car i've seen before. I'm not sure how the j30 compartment compares, but even if it's just as large (or small) it'd suck to try that swap.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
I never really looked at one of these to close but they are sweet(trunk needs a nicer looking spoiler to make you think its not ugly:nervous: ) I was at the scrap yard the other day and was looking through one the interior is really nice and it has a 7000rpm redline 210hp ? Wondering since its rear drive and basically has a 300 zx NA engine cant you swap it with a twin turbo 300zx engine hook up an intercooler and have a 5sp trans ???? F**K that would be nice =) =) =) IS IT POSSIBLE ??? with lots of money :*( :*(
Anything is possible with lots of money.:bandit: :bandit:

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: Re: J 30

MR. RYTE said:

Anything is possible with lots of money.:bandit: :bandit:

Right, but I think he was asking about an "easy" swap. I'd have to guess it wouldn't be too tough, should use the same mounts and everything, but I just don't know how everything would fit. I'm sure the block would bolt in, but i don't know how all the extra turbo plumbing would fit in the engine bay. Definitely no where near as easy as say a DET swap. That's cake. =)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
JustinP10 said:
Have you seen the videos online of that sc300 (I think that's what it is) that has the pretty well modded turbo Supra motor in it? it's nice.

You may be able to fit a 300zxtt motor in a j30, but have you ever tried to work on a 300zxtt? the engine comparment is packed tighter than any car i've seen before. I'm not sure how the j30 compartment compares, but even if it's just as large (or small) it'd suck to try that swap.
You mean the Sopra? This is like a tuner kinda thing in Japan, I see it in mags. They take the Supra engine and stuff 'em into Soarers. Recently, the started taking the 2JZs from the Supras and putting 'em into Altezzas too, but here in the U.S. the IS300s already have n/a 2JZs stock. Probably the only time Americans aren't getting jipped by japanese car manufacturers.

Stock motor in J30s is VG30E, same engine as in 300ZXs of the same year, except only SOHC. So will the 300ZXTT fit in? Probably, but yeah, it'd be a TIGHT fit. Not even worth the trouble on a J30, I'd say.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It would DEFINITELY be a tight fit. Remember, J30s are built from the Altima/Bluebird platform.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Gawd, they're ugly though. I'm glad the I30~35 came along and blew it out of the lineup. Cars like the J30 really hurt Infiniti's image early on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's good to see varying opinions on the off-topic forums!:p

Actually, I was a fan of the J30--from the front, but I absolutely HATED the back end...it made me think of what would happen if the 993 Porsches (previous generation, on the odd possibility noone knew that) were front engined, with no rear vent or wing, and had an elongated trunk, yeeck.

But I really liked the head on view, J30s were one of the first cars, IIRC, that came standard in the US with HID lamps, and they were real pretty in the showroom when we got our G.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts