Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I saw this over the holidays, forgot to post it.

Title of the article "Meh Car Monday: Nothing Could Un-Meh The Infiniti G20"

https://jalopnik.com/meh-car-monday-nothing-could-un-meh-the-infiniti-g20-1820781727

Anyone want to enlighten Mr. Jason Torchinsky? :)
Haters gonna hate, and it is fine, guy mentions some points I completely agree with. But the least people understand about these cars, and the more ignorance there is around the greatness of the platform, the easier it becomes to obtain one. Heck, I just picked up an 00 g20t 5speed for $585 last weekend, and the car made it home on its own power.

Let's put something else into perspective. If my only running cars were a VW Beetle and a Scion xB, and I was a senior editor for a online car magazine/publisher. I'd probably have enough anger in my blood for anyone else who drove a better car than me too. Which pretty much makes up 98% of the rest of the entire world.

Let the senior editor have his moment, before the sad realization sets in... That he still drives a Beetle and a Scion xB.

·
Administrator
5,833 Posts
Lets be honest, half of the points he made are valid for even my Focus ST I drive daily.

It comes down to the enthusiast owning the car. Every car is "meh" until you give it to someone who truly enjoys the vehicle.

·
Registered
20,746 Posts
Well I wrote out a response and posted it on the facebook cause that is what people do nowadays. If i could find it, I'd repost it here; but since it is Facebook, finding old things, or new things, or really anything other than their sponsored algorithm garbage they give you chances are it is gone now.

Short version: Yes it is meh. It is not the car's fault. It is infiniti's fault, and the general American public in 1991:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The P10 was better than the P11 IMO mostly due to the independent (rear) suspension. Again IMO, the P11 in stock form looks better than the P10, but Nissan/Infiniti lost their way. If they had kept the IRS and thrown in the VE motor (as was rumored) and/or with a V6 option, I think the P11 would have been a better car.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Would be nice if they mentioned that it's probably one of the top list modifiable 4cyl platforms for it's time (P10 and P11). There aren't too many cars you can drop $2000-$2500 in and put down over 300whp as a daily driver / grocery getter. But reviews like this and most people not knowing anything about them is why we pick them up so cheap. I paid less than $500 each for my P11 cars. I do have to admit that it's a pretty Blah car stock for what they cost new and would have never thought about buying one new off of the lot. But the B15 SE was pretty reasonable in price and almost the same car for $8k less. G20 $22k vs B15 SE $14k.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If they had kept the IRS and thrown in the VE motor (as was rumored) and/or with a V6 option, I think the P11 would have been a better car.
The P11 w/ an OEM SR20VE motor in the U.S. would have been incredible. The Sport Compact magazines of the time would have been all over it. 190HP from a 2.0 liter naturally aspirated in the fall of 1998 would have made headlines and really shaken things up. It would have been competing against Acura's Type R and such.

Instead Nissan decides to add 5HP w/ the RR motor. Ugh! Well A P11 w/ a VE all stock or lightly modded is about as fast as a 91-92 SE-R high port w/ I/H/E/Cams it seems. I've had both and they ran similar times (with the VE trapping at a higher MPH). My original 91 SE-R w I/H/E/S3 cams ran around 14.6-15.0 @ 92 MPH, my P11 VE when it was stock would run around 15.0 @ 96MPH. Now with I/H/E/ it's in the mid 14's trapping around 98MPH. Getting off topic but my 92 SE-R VE w/ I/H/E/N1 cams and pulleys with lots of weight reduction ran a 13.4.

It's all about that weight.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oof! I missed this post when it hit. The "reviewer" left out the lack of a functional cup-holder unless you happen to be sitting in the back seat, the turning radius that is rivaled only by the state of Rhode Island, and the anemic performance in the middle gears. Other than that, he's got it just about down pat. Yet, I really like these cars.

He unfairly talks about the bland design of the 90s. Most sedans in the 90s shared a similar blandness; in fact, I used to park beside two BMW 3 series models at work every day and, in profile, they looked like they were all three just about the same car.

I agree with Storm, the VE would have saved this model. I never found a 5-speed in my area, but I would have gladly bought one if I could have found it.

My 2000 has 308,000 miles. I'm finally having to put some real maintenance into it, but I laugh because my co-worker keeps talking about how expensive parts for an Infiniti are. I think the most expensive part I've ever bought for one of mine was the first LCA I replaced, and I bought it from a dealer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yep. Had the P11 come with the SR20VE the G20 would have become the next big thing back then. There certainly would be a lot more in good dhape out there.

I went to Cars N Coffee last weekend. One of the largest ones on the east coast- probably 1,000 cars. I had the ONLY G20- and what's even worse is not one other SR20 except a S13 240SX with a DET swap.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yep. Had the P11 come with the SR20VE the G20 would have become the next big thing back then. There certainly would be a lot more in good dhape out there.

I went to Cars N Coffee last weekend. One of the largest ones on the east coast- probably 1,000 cars. I had the ONLY G20- and what's even worse is not one other SR20 except a S13 240SX with a DET swap.
Disagreed, had a P11 with SR20VE, then SR20VE +n1 Cams, car was still MEH and stupid loud too. P11's are too heavy for such low torque numbers, if it was 190hp/190tq then it would have been great. This is where Turbo comes into play, even a simple T25 will make the car go from MEH to WEEEE.

With that said, I don't' disagree with the guys points, the car was way too expensive for how little performance it offered. Luckily Nissan did learn and made the G35 next, which is much better regarded then the G20.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts