- ... Head gasket?

Not-so important:
- Driver-side fender, QN0 ideal but anything in good shape
- Door window switches - looking for surrounds with mounting tabs in good shape
- Driver side under-headlight trim piece, preferably QN0
- Set of lug nuts

Issues I'm having:
- Stutters/nearly stalls in reverse
- Oil leaks (?) around the oil pan and front driver-side corner, towards battery. Dizzy o-ring?
- Body rust/rot
- Downpipe leak, though I've lost it.

To-do list:
- Create a clean, organized work environment
- Replace rear O2
- Recondition S13 wheels
- Find oil leak
- Decide on source for tune-up parts
- Fix rear defrost?
- Solder driver window switch auto wire
- Install parts!
- Replace radiator/come up with better more permanent fix

Will update with any changes, looking to fix what's broken for now.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
After having an account here for about 5 years and owning my car about as long, I figure it's about time I get serious and make an effort to at least get my G back into shape. Being my first car, I spent years neglecting almost all forms of maintenance as I didn't know better. But it's stuck with me all along, and after coming back to it after half a year of sitting with a dead transmission, I want to take better care of it and maybe make it into something even nicer than stock.

Just before attending a fall meet with the NE guys at Purgatory Chasm park in MA, I noticed I had a small coolant leak. Thinking that was the worst of my problems, I topped it off and made it up to MA and back. That night, on the way home from my friend's, my car suddenly wouldn't shift or go more than 20-25.

I spent 6+ months trying to decide what to do and saving up to afford a fix, getting by on rides and borrowing cars. Finally, I got the tranny rebuilt, and managed not long after to get inspected, though I had been getting codes for an EGR valve and O2 sensor before the hiatus.

Next, I'm hoping to clean her up and get everything straight - what's under the hood first, followed by the body, maybe paint. If all goes well, I'll try getting into customizing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Haha thanks Dave. I'm not very familiar with browsing ebay, I just started a little yesterday. I did see a few Mishimoto radiators, they look lovely. But thanks. I should keep up on this better, too.

Friday, 5/21 - washed car in the AM, detailed a bit, ran over a half a pair of pliers :p and got a flat on the way home from work.

Saturday, 5/22 - garage at work plugged the tire (and free of charge!), made it to an awesome if a bit cozy NE meet, got reacquainted with some local guys and met some others.

Sunday, 5/23 - cleaned the wheels up to the best of my ability - going to try to grab a wire brush set at HF in the near future. Paid daveracer for some T headrests, justified 'cause I've never had rears. Also started swapping headlights, only managed to get one done, as I can't get at this one bolt on the pass side well enough. I'm probably going to need 2 new trim pieces, 'cause the driver side cracked a bit and it's already missing mounting stuff. Looking for a pair of OEM corners, too.

Monday, 5/24 - ordered a new overflow tank! Going to ask the guys at work if they could get at the one bolt to pop out the pass side headlight. Probably not going to get much else done, work 2:30 - 9:15.

...swapped the pass side headlight, turns out I just need the driver side trim piece. Used dealership really fubared installing both of the aftermarket headlights, required some elbow grease and extra PB blaster. Still can't get the grills in easily, assuming it's related to the headlights being off? Waiting on parts, next up should be a good clean-up, and/or replacing a cracked inner tail.

I'll try my best to update the first few posts to what's new. When everything's in decent shape and cleaned well enough, I'll try for some pictures as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thursday - Coolant overflow arrived today, threw that in quick. Picked up some cleaning supplies, mostly for the exterior. Removed the pinstriping on both sides of the car to discover that... one side has some half-done stripes painted. My plans to fix that are to get some red and black to go over it, not sure how I'll get the lines right on the other side of the car but I'll try.

Also sent a payment for new set of corners!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update, hopefully with some audience interaction - looking for some new wheels, and I have some leads. What do you guys think would look best on a stock p10?

S13 SE's, S13 teardrops, S14s (snowflakes?), P11 meshies, P11 sports?

My personal preference, I'd love to have something with Nissan caps, and I know meshies look great, but I'd also like something a little out of the ordinary if possible.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last night (Saturday 6/5), while pulling out of a driveway, my car stalled out (?) while in reverse. It kind of revved strongly in pulses, and then shut off, so I had to start her up again. Nothing else went wrong afterwards, just not sure how much of an issue this is. I believe that I can usually hear air escaping somewhere when I drive, could a vacuum leak be involved?

Best I can do is look into it a bit and check everything over, which I'm planning to do soon.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Oh no, I seem to have fallen off the face of the Earth, or gotten lazy.

Saturday, 6/12 - JWT Pop Charger arrived from David (Sarcazm). Installed right away, left the air whatever sensor just hanging and will fix that later. Sounds decent, just need to tighten my alternator belt so I can hear the difference over the squealing. NEED to clean up the engine bay.

Tuesday, 6/15 - New (used) set of OEM corners came in from Javi. Haven't even put these in yet! Still need to fix the alt. belts, what a slacker.

Wednesday, 6/16 - USDM fog light setup from Paul came in. Haven't opened them yet, as I doubt I'd put these in for awhile. I want to get things maintained well before I jump into modding, especially cosmetic stuff.

Monday, 6/21 - Picked up some S13 SE wheels from a member off 240sxone.com. Tires are in decent shape, but they're 195/60/15 and the wheels are +40 offset, so without spacers I'll need different tires. To spend $300 on nice summer tires, I feel like I should clean them up and paint them the way I want before going through with it. So another project will be put on the shelf for a little while.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wednesday, 6/23 - Made an honest attempt to tighten my alternator belt, using the FSM and some info from an old how-to thread including a nice diagram as reference. I lifted the car, then removed the wheel well plastic (unnecessary) and the splash guard plastic (bingo). I then loosened the pivot bolt 'til it was relatively loose, the tensioner bracket bolt 'til it was also loose, then finally tried to tighten the adjuster bolt.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but at this point the adjuster bolt broke right at the tensioner bracket. So I'm out the bolt and bracket. Didn't have anyone to help physically lift the alternator to get the belt tight enough, so I'm leaving it on stands. I called Justin @ everythingg20 and ordered the parts, just figure it'll be half a week before I see them.

Fail.

·
Custom title !!!!!yay
2,458 Posts
i can proly get you the moonroof motor, i will check for headrests but i think i threw away the rear seat alltogether

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that's quite alright, thanks for the tip. I've seen some moonroof motors around, that's not high on my priorities 'cause I'm not eager to figure out getting at the motor to replace it. Headrests would be nice, I've thought about trying to find one of the seats without the separate rests as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just a quick update, I'm starting to think a little more practical, I'd like to fix up what's important and yet I find myself on here looking at mods. Updated my first post with items I'm looking to purchase, most of which I'll want new.

As always, I'm open to and looking for advice on anything mentioned. Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wednesday, 6/30 - I received the adjustment bolt and bracket from everythingg20.net today, and almost immediately ran outside and replaced the parts. I still have a squeaking and have yet to take the car out for a drive, but I'm content for now and will look towards replacing the belt soon.

While under my car, I noticed a decent amount of rust, what could be rot, and a small amount of oil around my oil pan and back of the crossmember. I also found that it's difficult to keep some of the plastic guards in place due to them falling apart, cracking, or the rust behind them. I continue to find neat little ways that someone has already jerry-rigged little fixes for things.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts