Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously had a kenwood sub in my car and was debating wether or not to replace it with a Rockford HE. Well I went down to a local store that sells JL's because a friend of mine recommended JL's and I know they are top of the line. I bought myself one 12W3 and installed it and....oh my. these subs are LOUD AS HELL. They hit so hard and so clear. I have the bass control on my stock deck turned up to the middle, and my amp is set to around 60%, and when the volume control is around 70% I feel like my trunk is going to break apart. I dont even want to turn it up louder because my ears begin to hurt. I fell in love with JL. It was such a change from the kenwood sub (700w max, 150 rms), and kenwood seemed 10x worse. If you want quality, hard ass hitting bass, then go with these. You will NOT be dissappointed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is EXACTLY what i want to hear...i've been considering a 12w3 myself. what kind of amp do you have with this sub and how much was everything?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am running the sub with a 600w Kenwood amp. The sub is bridged since I only have one sub. The sub cost me 179. It was originally 199 at this local store, but since they didnt have the packing box for it, they tossed off 20 bucks. Pretty good deal.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Koojo said:
I previously had a kenwood sub in my car and was debating wether or not to replace it with a Rockford HE. Well I went down to a local store that sells JL's because a friend of mine recommended JL's and I know they are top of the line. I bought myself one 12W3 and installed it and....oh my. these subs are LOUD AS HELL. They hit so hard and so clear. I have the bass control on my stock deck turned up to the middle, and my amp is set to around 60%, and when the volume control is around 70% I feel like my trunk is going to break apart. I dont even want to turn it up louder because my ears begin to hurt. I fell in love with JL. It was such a change from the kenwood sub (700w max, 150 rms), and kenwood seemed 10x worse. If you want quality, hard ass hitting bass, then go with these. You will NOT be dissappointed.
How much did it cost you to add the sub and amp to the stock system? :surprised I'm debating whether I should get a whole new system or just add some heavy-hittin' bass to it.:-\

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the amp for a while, but you can usually get that amp for around 200 or lower at the store. The sub cost me 180. The wiring cost me 80 bucks, and the I installed it myself. So it only cost me a couple hundred to do the whole thing. Now I gotta work on my trunk so it stops rattling...:D :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
G20 SpoRt 2002 said:
I was thinking about putting 2 JL W3's with the 1000/1 mono amp, with my stock mids and highs?! YOu think that will sound good?
12W3's are only rated a tad under 300 watts each. So that amp will be too much. I did 139DB in my car with two 12W6's and a MTX amp that dynoed at 954 watts into 4 ohms. I was only running it at 6 ohms, and only about halfway up. I could have easily blown the subs.

So, basically, you don't need an amp all that big, unless it's a cheap amp, and they don't put out near that much power anyway.

Now with your stock mids and highs, well, you won't even be able to hear them :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: Re: Jl 12w3

Koojo said:
I am running the sub with a 600w Kenwood amp. The sub is bridged since I only have one sub. The sub cost me 179. It was originally 199 at this local store, but since they didnt have the packing box for it, they tossed off 20 bucks. Pretty good deal.
cool, i think i had that same amp...very good amp, shoulda kept it :( oh well, i'm trying to get my system to come along

G20 SpoRt 2002 said:
I was thinking about putting 2 JL W3's with the 1000/1 mono amp, with my stock mids and highs?! YOu think that will sound good?
yeah, the bass will sound excellent, but what about your highs??? i'm sure it'll drown it out...also that amp is overkill, try the jl 500/1, rated at 500watts but puts outs 600+ easily. but then again the 1000/1 will give you some headroom and the ability to add more subs easily.

MR. RYTE said:

How much did it cost you to add the sub and amp to the stock system? :surprised I'm debating whether I should get a whole new system or just add some heavy-hittin' bass to it.:-\
whats your budget like? maybe we can figure out a setup for you thats fairly inexpensive, but still performs.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
My "budget" is a ballpark figure of $1000. My original plan was to get a Sony Xplod CD unit with the 10 disk-changer, new speakers all around(6.5's) and a deep sub. I don't intend to have the whole world listening to my music but I do want to have lots of bass AND lots of crystal clear highs. Any ideas come to mind?:surprised

·
Registered
97 Posts
IMO, the Sony stuff is crap. I would look more into a Kenwood, Apline, or Eclipse head unit, and an MTX, JL, JBL amp. If you only have $1000 that isn't going to get you that far unless you do some good ebay shopping.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And also installing the stuff yourself will save you a lot of money. Shops rip you off when they install systems

·
Registered
138 Posts
you'd be surprised what $1000 can get you, here's the setup i would do...

HU: Kenwood KDC-2019 ~$150
CD Changer: Kenwood KDC-C717 (10 disc) ~$200
Amp: US Acoustics USX-4085 ~$180
Front Speakers: Rainbow Dreamline 6.5" Comps ~$120
Rear speakers: none or Rainbow Dreamline 6.5" Co-ax's ~$110
Sub: JL 12w0 in a powerwedge box. ~$175

HU, Changer, Amp @ www.sounddomain.com
Front and rear speakers @ www.ampmanaudio.com
Sub @ www.wholesaleaudio.com/jlaudio3.html

system should be wired as follows:

channels 1/2 on the amp for the front stage
channels 3/4 bridged for the sub
rear speakers a run off the deck

this totals out to ~$935, with money left over for wires, rca's and what not...if you choose not to have rear speakers for soundstaging reasons, then you'll save another $110 off that grand total...soo ~$825...

EDIT:just to keep things on topic, i'm sure that amp can push a jl 12w3 (as long as you get the dual 2 ohm ones, so you can wire it into 4 ohms) so add about another $75 to that grand total....so ~$1010 total

not bad for a beginner system that will surely out do many higher end systems out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts