Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice from you guys, I had a job interview last week and got an offer which I felt was pretty reasonable, almost double what I'm making now. When I told my current employer I was leaving in two weeks the came back with an offer about 8k less than what the other company was going to pay me. I get two weeks paid vacation at my current place and won't get any from this new place. Commute is much different aswell, current place is about 8 miles away with a travel time of 30 minutes while the new place is 24 miles away with an unknown travel time.

Pros Cons

Job1(current)
- Been here 3 years - More admin roles than other new job
- Make my own schedule - Less $$$$/year
- Much shorter drive - No room for growth other than pay

Job2(New0
- 8k more a year - No paid vacation
- New opportunity - Contractor hire - no benefits/have to do my own taxes
- Would have less admin roles - Much further drive

This new place I would need to pick up a newer car as they are rather strict on attendance, current place I can continue driving the evo until it gets a bit colder and pick up a cheaper daily as they are much more relaxed if I need to take a day off without notice.

Advice/tips?

·
Premium Member
5,873 Posts
Soo to me (and this is just my two cents), Job2 seems like a bust, sure you get 8k a year more at the new job, but figure this in:

• 2 weeks paid vacation
    • This right there is a free $$$ on top of your salary essentially, especially if you don't use it and get paid out on it
  • Benefits
    • Benefits can cost alot, and not having them can cost you ALOT more than 8k, even if you pay $100 a month for it for 12 months, thats still only 1,200 a year
  • Drive Time
    • Drive time = more gas, sure 24 miles doesn't seem like much until you calculate it like this
      • 24 * 2 = 48 (to and from work)
      • 48 * 5 = 240 miles a week
      • 240 * 52 = 12,480 miles driven a year
      • 12,480 / 25 (average mpg) = 499.9 gallons of gas (lets round to 500)
      • 500 * 3.90 (average premium octane price per gallon) = 1950
      • 1950 = what your adding with a new job just in cost alone
  • Contractor doesn't mean you'll get full time
    • If you move to this new job and they find a better person OR decide to fold your position, your SOL looking for another gig

To me it seems like a no brainer, take the 8k (as long as it doesn't come with a year contract, unless your OK with that), then continue searching for a month or two and see if something else comes up.

But as I said, just my :2cents:. I guess I over think things :D.

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
stay at your place. just by mentioning the new job you got a raise. trust me, contracting sucks. no benefits, no vacation, no unemployment benefits. oh and they can just drop you anytime they please.

you should try to be an eyeball model. because your eyes are dreamy as f*ck.

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
id stay with job1 as well, job2 doesnt even seem like a real option. Peace of mind is better than living a day at a time with that contracted position, especially with all that you must forfeit, pay isnt relatively high enough to compensate for this either.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
stay at your place. just by mentioning the new job you got a raise. trust me, contracting sucks. no benefits, no vacation, no unemployment benefits. oh and they can just drop you anytime they please.

+1 contract work sucks. when you go to renew it you may have different terms.

·
Registered
20,983 Posts
I'd go with current. Even without figuring out the exact pay numbers, the benefits seem like they would outweigh the extra gross income.

First off, Self employed people pay both sides of FICA taxes so you will pay an extra 7.65% in tax. So go ahead and subtract that from the number.
Extra distance, sure there is gas cost, but your time sitting in traffic sucks. I've done the 1hr+ commute each way. It gets boring. This summer I've lived literally 20 feet from work. I have like an extra 10hours of time a week to do whatever because I don't go sit in the parking lot they call a freeway.
Vacation time, either you can take it which is nice. Or you can hold onto it in case something comes up and you need to take time off. Or like I did, just let it accrue which my employer let me do...then when they got rid of me I had about 6 weeks worth of pay they owed me.
Medical? I don't know what all else you are getting but I'm sure there is more that is being paid by the employer even if it doesn't show up in your pocket.

Contractors are self contained. When they need you, they pay you to do a specific function; when they don't, you're gone. They can and will drop you at anytime without any notice, and you will be SOL. Although employees can get dropped anytime too, usually the company will try to keep them happy in case time comes around that they need you again. Also it will be more expensive to get rid of you because they will have to pay out vacation and stuff like that. Also it isn't a complete safety net, unemployment will be there to supplement whatever you got saved up when between jobs...if you are an employee and you meet the minimum hour requirements which you only really need like a years worth of full time to max out.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
if they hire you as an independent contractor, that probably means they want to get as much as they can out of people and treat them as poorly as the law allows. that sounds a little dramatic, but just think of that fact as an indicaton of how the company regards its people. someone who hires you as a 1099 doesn't consider you an asset, they consider you a tool to be used as long as it's useful.

also bring to mind the extra strictness you mentioned, and consider what it might mean for you and the company. generally, an employer that gives you slack (or autonomy) is an employer that respects you.

also, having stayed put for a while looks better for future employers. i've gone from job to job because i hate working for other people. it's made me miserable everywhere i've gone. so it gets harder and harder to get jobs as time goes by. that's fine because i only want to emancipate myself (become self-employed).

also commuting sucks, even with a g20, because it means you have even less time to be yourself. it's harder to be rich in time than it is to be rich in money and things. unless you want to make work your life, keep it local if you can.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

My current work issues..... The contract went up for auction between 10 small businesses 2 years ago. Just last month the contracts office awarded the contract to a small business. Now my current employer is protesting and is preventing us from transitioning to the new company. For the past 2 years, temporary contracts have been in place and the govt. is only supplying 1-2 months worth of funding to the contracting company, rather than 2-4 years worth. There is no opportunity for pay raise/advancement and you are unsure if you will be laid off completely or get the chance to interview for the new company.

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
JobA came up within 4,500 of JobB, obvious choice now, thanks guys!
you can buy a P11 with all that extra dough!

My current work issues..... The contract went up for auction between 10 small businesses 2 years ago. Just last month the contracts office awarded the contract to a small business. Now my current employer is protesting and is preventing us from transitioning to the new company. For the past 2 years, temporary contracts have been in place and the govt. is only supplying 1-2 months worth of funding to the contracting company, rather than 2-4 years worth. There is no opportunity for pay raise/advancement and you are unsure if you will be laid off completely or get the chance to interview for the new company.
temp life for sure. my last company, they made a QA lab in Romania, current company has one in Vietnam. THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.