Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My friend and I used to lay up carbon fiber. The resin is cheap if it gets hazy or discolors. You could always paint it and make your car more sleeper like.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
CF hoods a generally not CC when you receive them.
its the resin that looks like clear coat.

my buddy is on his second CF hood. his 1st one turned all hazy after a while,
so he got another hood and took it in to get CC before he put it on the car.
the new one has been on his ride 2x all long as the first, and it still looks brand new.

·
♥
3,947 Posts
clear coat is deffinitely what you need. shouldnt be more than $200 for a good job... check your local shops

·
Registered
572 Posts
Post some pictures when you get a chance.. :lick: :lick:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all the body shops are tellling me $500 to clear the hood. thats crazy i think i might just go with a good old coat of wax and hope for the best lol. new york prices are crazy iguess thats why everyone is a theif and a drug dealer around here couse iguess they dont have much choice lol. seriuosly tho i think waxing migh be good enuf

·
Questioning Answers
6,853 Posts
go out & buy some crylon actrlic with UV inhibit spray paint,,,,,go in a clean area coat the shit otta it, then hit it with like 2000-2200 grit sandpaper, caota again & go sanding from 2000-to the highest u can find......youll be gold!

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
yeh you guys are buggin. clearcoat a $300-400 carbon hood with $3 spray can clearcoat :dead: . no thanks. im straight. im not sure what brand my carbon hood is, but it is several years old and it looks brand new. my trunk however has been on the car for less than 1 year and it is showing some slight signs of the tiny pitting that often happens to carbon pieces. can you wet sand the gelcoat slightly and then clear it? thats the plan i have as of now. has a couple little scratches in the gelcoat also

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
StangG20 said:
yeh you guys are buggin. clearcoat a $300-400 carbon hood with $3 spray can clearcoat :dead: . no thanks. im straight. im not sure what brand my carbon hood is, but it is several years old and it looks brand new. my trunk however has been on the car for less than 1 year and it is showing some slight signs of the tiny pitting that often happens to carbon pieces. can you wet sand the gelcoat slightly and then clear it? thats the plan i have as of now. has a couple little scratches in the gelcoat also
thast what im sayin. the hood was 450 by the way lol. no but for real im just gonna slap it on.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
citystreetsbimmer said:
thast what im sayin. the hood was 450 by the way lol. no but for real im just gonna slap it on.
damn thats alot. well the shipping is probably what killed you. the hood was probably only $350 or so. i got mine used and picked it up myself.

GreenG20t said:
When I lay up carbon pieces i sand the resin and clear them with Krylon clear. Use enough coats of this stuff and home made pieces can look as good as the pros.
what kind of parts do you "lay up" are they the size of a hood? i just cant see it coming out perfect with a spray can. my point remains the same..... you pay almost $500 on a hood and you are worried about protecting it and keeping it nice, dont go cheap with $3 spraycan job.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
StangG20 said:
damn thats alot. well the shipping is probably what killed you. the hood was probably only $350 or so. i got mine used and picked it up myself.

what kind of parts do you "lay up" are they the size of a hood? i just cant see it coming out perfect with a spray can. my point remains the same..... you pay almost $500 on a hood and you are worried about protecting it and keeping it nice, dont go cheap with $3 spraycan job.
how about you sell me your trunk :smile:

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
I've never done anything as large as a hood, but on the pillars and pods that I have made for myself and others this technique works great. I see your point about spraying an entire hood, but if you have any problems, wet sand the hell out of it an start over.

Just an idea.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts