Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a G20 for my gf (Well damn close, probably putting a deposit down on Wed). It is a 93 (built in 4/93) with 95K miles. I am going to get it for less than 4K. Anyway I just want to ask you guys for some advice. What do I need to do when I first get this car? Also does the OEM infinti spoiler have a tag on it? I want to buy one. Car looks naked without it

·
Registered
218 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Since the car is approaching 100K miles i'd suggest doing every possible maintainence item that you possibly can including:

check compression
oil change
tranny fluid change
radiator flush
check tires (including spare)
lube suspension
spark plugs
inspect wires
distributor cap
check battery
make sure all indicators/lights work
give it a good cleaning, inside and out

...and probably some other stuff i forgot. basically, check everything that the users manual says should be checked at every major service. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Not sure what you mean about a "tag", but if you want a rear spoiler i'd check the junk yard first. Unless your car is a really rare color you can probably find a spoiler to match your car's color off a wrecked car for cheap.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh is red a rare color, wine red.

My RX-7 has a Mazda badge on the bottom of the spoiler. Just wondering if the Infiniti has those kind of badge hidden on the spoiler somewhere

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
and MOTOR MOUNTS

My 93.5 had the older style motor mounts and they all needed to be replaced... Infiniti improved the design in 94 or 95 (I forgot which).. so the passanger side motor mount is a better design now and doesn't loose it's load as easily... Remember to check the motor mounts!!!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Re: and MOTOR MOUNTS

Chris said:
My 93.5 had the older style motor mounts and they all needed to be replaced... Infiniti improved the design in 94 or 95 (I forgot which).. so the passanger side motor mount is a better design now and doesn't loose it's load as easily... Remember to check the motor mounts!!!
Me too, I have the 93.5 and the first thing I had the dealer do was replace the motor mounts before I would buy it ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Droping Resister!

Have you heard "Droping Resister"? If you car is AT, replace it. It is one of the electrical components for line pressure through AT. I had a problem with it. Everyone thought that I need a new trans, valvebody, or solenoids. If the mechanics don't know it, ask the dealer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, I bought a 94 with 126K today. Everything is good, except the valves make some clicking sound. How hard/expensive is it to fix that? It makes this clicking sound constantly, it increase when i hit certain RPM

·
Registered
89 Posts
Priorities?

tmac26b,

I'm not sure I understand the situation – following your posts.

I gather that you were GOING to buy a '93 and it seemed your major concern was getting a badge to go with a spoiler.

Now, it appears, you have BOUGHT a '94 that sounds as if it might need a new valve job (don't ask me the price – I live in Mexico!).

I'm not trying to be funny or offensive, but, if you do not have a lot of experience with engines, car problems ect., don't you think that maybe you might have considered paying $100 (+/-) for a pro to check it for you – before buying it?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know how to fix cars, I am just not familiar with this engine. Have to start from the beginning.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, since you know enough to realise that the car has a problem, wouldn't it have been wise to find out what the problem was and how much to fix it – before you bought it?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
tmak26b said:
Ahh is red a rare color, wine red.

My RX-7 has a Mazda badge on the bottom of the spoiler. Just wondering if the Infiniti has those kind of badge hidden on the spoiler somewhere
Hey, it's AE Turbo from the RX7 Forum. :) So you've got your G20 now, eh? Congratulations!

The spoiler isn't embossed with a logo like the FC spoiler. Also, the spoiler is fiberglass unlike the FC's polycarbonate spoiler. I think Erebuni makes a copy of the G20t spoiler. There are a few other people on the forum with different spoilers, (like an M3 style spoiler) that look good.

A mild ticking noise is common on these cars. There have been a few threads posted about it. Mine had it when I bought it. About two weeks ago, I did three oil changes in one setting, sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner into the TB, and used some Chevron fuel system cleaner with some 91 octane gas to help clean up any carbon. Now I can't even really hear the ticking. :D

There's a way to do the ATF trick on piston engines. I'm still trying to get more info so I'll let you know when I find out.

Check out my pics; I took a bunch of new ones yesterday.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Mike, what new. Yeah picked up a 94 with great interior, but the exterior has the original paintjob and the drivetrain worries me a little. I didnt really want to get this car, but my gf liked it. So I might as well get it before she gets mad at me. Anyway the ticking noise is quite loud. I was on car talk, someone talked about problems like this. I figure I will change the oil, do all the tune ups for now. See what happenes. Hopefully it works, i am worried about the tranny and the motor :(

Btw you have a95. Whne you turn your key to ON, is there a seatbelt light a battery light? My car dont have that. I hope the ublbs arent shot. Email me [email protected]

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
tmak26b said:

Btw you have a95. Whne you turn your key to ON, is there a seatbelt light a battery light? My car dont have that. I hope the ublbs arent shot. Email me [email protected]
Hey, don't be too glum! It may not be as fun as an RX7, but the G20 is one of the best compact 4 door cars you can buy. It can be a fun, reliable daily driver. Now that I'm getting used to it's handling characteristics, I'll dare say it could hang with my AE on a twisty course. ;)

So what makes you worry about the car besides the engine tick? Is the tranny acting up? These cars are generally pretty reliable.

My G20 has a seatbelt and battery light during the "ON" position. There's also a engine, ABS, Airbag and brake light. If those work on yours, then I'm betting your two seatbelt and battery bulbs are shot. Don't worry; the bulbs aren't too hard to replace:

1. Remove the black plastic piece surrounding the cluster (5 Screws)

*I've done this before, but I forgot if you need to remove the plastic around the steering cloumn to get the cluster surrond out. If you can't get the surround out, then..

2. Remove the 2 plastic pieces surrounding the steering column (6 Screws)

3. Unscrew the Cluster (4 Screws)

4. After unplugging the wiring in the back, you can remove the cluster. The bulbs for each warning light are right behind the space so it should be obvious which you need to deal with. The warning light bulbs are #74. You can buy then at most auto parts stores for like $2.

I wrote this from memory so I might've forgotten the screw count but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Installation is the reverse of removal. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info mike, i guess 2 of the light bulbs crap to bed on this car. It looks like a fun job that can break many interior pieces (FC...)

Well I just got the G20 today, drove 2 hours back from Boston. Here is the deal

The car is a 94 with 126500 miles on it. When I was cruising on the highway, car had no major rattles. Only abnormal noise i hear was from the engine. At like highway speed, I would hear a light woooo sound from the engine. This sound only happens when I am on the gas, and i am sure it is from the engine. It is a very light woo sound. It doesnt happen all the time, but most of the time.

As for the engine itself, it is not running too good. For one, there is a ticking noise when I am idling. Then as I hit the gas, I would hear squeeky sound from the valve/belt area too. Although the engine can redline with no smoke, but it takes 20 years to do so. Also the power delivery is not smooth at all. Even though the car doesnt hestitate or anything, but i can feel the car is misfiring or soemthing. I can feel at certain time it will pull harder, then it stops to pull, then pulls again. What do you think it is?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
tmak26b said:
Thanks for the info mike, i guess 2 of the light bulbs crap to bed on this car. It looks like a fun job that can break many interior pieces (FC...)

Well I just got the G20 today, drove 2 hours back from Boston. Here is the deal...

...What do you think it is?
If you've taken out the FC cluster before, then you'll find the G20 easier. The G20 cluster only has two wiring harnesses plugged into it while the FC has a speedometer cable in addition to the harnesses. I hated trying to get the speedometer gable back on cause it had hardly any give. :p

Other Stuff...

Light woo from engine at highway speed, on throttle:

Most likely, the last gear in the tranny is causing the noise. If the noise isn't too loud, you shouldn't have to worry. If it starts getting noticeably loud, (i.e. louder than the engine) then the gear is probably going to give up. If the previous owner hasn't been doing regular maintainance, an ATF change should help out or might even clear it up. ;)

Ticking noise and engine hesitation:

I'm guessing the car hasn't had regular maintainance. Get a compression test done if you can. Unless you have domumentation of when these things were changed, you should:

-Change air filter

-Use a can of motor flush and change oil and oil filter. It's a good idea to drain and refill the oil at least twice after the engine flush because that stuff doesn't fully drain out the first time. I'm not sure of your climate, but you should use the factory recommended 5w-30. I use Castrol GTX and it's running great.

-Change Spark plugs and inspect wires, distibutor cap for wear

-Change Fuel Filter

-Clean the Throttle Body. With the engine warm - Move the rubber arm that goes from the airbox to the TB. Get a can of carb cleaner and open the TB. Spray the door and the inside of the TB liberally with the Carb Cleaner. I used over 1/2 of a can. Replace the intake hose. Turn on the car - The car will keep turning over a buncha times before actually running. When it runs, it will be a little rough and there should be some smoke in the exhaust. Jam on and off the throttle giving it a good workout. The roughness will go away and it should more responsive. If doesn't improve much, repeat with more carb cleaner. After a few carb cleaner sessions, the throttle response should be improved as long as you have good spark plugs, etc.

My car had a ticking noise when I first had it. After I did all of the above things, the ticking noise was gone and the car became very responsive. Mine has 126552 miles and it's running strong! It has Headers and a K&N intake also so that helps it's power response.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Another thing:

Find a 4 lug FC in the junkyard with an aluminum spare tire and jack. You can use both of them in the G20 and they're lighter than the G20 ones plus look nicer. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts