Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

JW: Hows the G20 going to fare in a RALLY race?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  RCer 
#1 ·
Hmm..i dont mean to offend people who doesnt like to fix up their cars, but this post isnt really about that.. i was just wondering how our g20s would fare agains the subarus and the EVOs during a rally race? I doubt it can hang without the 4wd, but IMO, if NIssan would make a rally car, it HAS to be the G20 (Primera). Would somebody illuminate which car (if theres any) nissan uses for rallys? IMHO, its really a nice proposition (sr20det hehe)

#2 ·
Yes Nissan does have a car in rally races, Not in the WRC. It is the GTiR.

The P11 is a too big car for rally races, if you see the cars racing actually, the biggest one is the Skoda Octavia, wich is about the same size of the P11, and is the slowest car in the championship, and that is how is refferred by the TV comentators. So, I don't think rally races are for the P11.

It is most for the Touring car Championship, where a few years ago (and still in the European Touring Car Championship) IT KICKED ASSESSSSSSS!!!!!:mad:

Unfortunately, no more P11 on production now.:(

#3 ·
The Primera/G20 chassis really doesn't have enough ground clearance or suspension travel to be a really good off road/rally car. While the chassis is stiff enough, the car is too big and not really suited for the rough terrain. Traction would be a huge issue unless you picked up a t4 Primera that's AWD (that's the AWD model, right?) Only thing is, iirc, the AWD Primeras only came with an auto tranny, probably not the best for rallying either.

The Pulsar GTi-R is smaller, AWD, and had more power (SR20DET), and (i believe) lighter than the P10/P11. I'm really not sure about the suspension differences though and what's available for the GTi-R overseas?

#4 ·
P10/P11 chassis are too heavy and big for rally, like mentioned above. The suspension setup is nice, but also like mentioned above, not enough travel (unless you plan on driving gently over hills I guess). The RNN14 Pulsar GTiR is the rally car that Nissan actually built for this purpose *for which rally is beyond me, but hey they made it* and the suspension is pretty similar to the P10, except it's a hatch. SR20DET is a nice touch.

From my understanding of it, the Pulsar GTiR was like a rally homologation when it was sold to the public. It's basicaly a streetified rally car and wasn't meant to be particularly comfortable. Probably no sunroof or leather seats option...

#5 ·
A guy from Chile chimed in awhile ago on the old forum reporting a Primera being used in rallying, so yes, it has been done.

I personally enter my '94 G20t 5spd in our local SCCA RallyCross series (picture an autocross staged on a slippery grass field).
Rotsa, rotsa sideways slippy funnnn!! I get placed in production class against usually smaller, more agile GTI's, but often do quite well on the faster, more open courses (is it the VLSD?)

-Regards, Don Swier, aka Northwestrally

#6 ·
Rallying in anything is fun, but without the all wheel drive it wouldn't be as fun. As far as competition with those real WRC cars, there wouldn't be much, but I'm definitely down for a rallycross or 2 when I get the car straightened out. Anything coming up in the Mid-Atlantic area?

#7 ·
1) The GTi-R was the Nissan rally car...... Ten years ago

2) The most recent Nissan WRC car was the Almera (N15) a few years ago.

3) Ground clearance and suspension travel have nothing to do with it.

a) The team can give the car whatever clearance and/or suspension travel they need.

b) Have you seen recent WRC events? Most of them are tarmac rallies these days and they run short ground clearances for most ralllies.

4) Weight can be an issue, but wheelbase is more important. You want a rally car to be able to change directions quickly - screw the straight line stability. It's kind of like a fighter plane - maneuverability is key. The P10 & P11 wheelbase is too long to be an effective world class rally car. But, with the excellent suspension, a P10 (screw the P11's rear log) would make a pretty good club rally car.

#8 ·
Geo said:
1) The GTi-R was the Nissan rally car...... Ten years ago

2) The most recent Nissan WRC car was the Almera (N15) a few years ago.

3) Ground clearance and suspension travel have nothing to do with it.

a) The team can give the car whatever clearance and/or suspension travel they need.

b) Have you seen recent WRC events? Most of them are tarmac rallies these days and they run short ground clearances for most ralllies.

4) Weight can be an issue, but wheelbase is more important. You want a rally car to be able to change directions quickly - screw the straight line stability. It's kind of like a fighter plane - maneuverability is key. The P10 & P11 wheelbase is too long to be an effective world class rally car. But, with the excellent suspension, a P10 (screw the P11's rear log) would make a pretty good club rally car.

I wasn't sure how far they were talking about as far as suspension modifications, I wasn't thinking WRC level of car, I was thinking more like SCCA Pro Rally. I've volunteered and helped in the local Prescott stop and been there the past couple years. Two years ago I was placed at the end of a pretty rough stage and some of the cars out there were complaining about the terrian, many stating how they kept hitting objects along the way. One inparticular (i got to see this car in action the next day too) was an AWD Eclipse (late 90's) that kept bottoming out and scraping on just about everything along the way. Same with a couple other cars that were running. With a full out rally car (Open Class, or possibly even a group A or group N car) I don't think there are very many limitations on suspension and you wouldn't have to worry about travel or clearance, like you said.

I think the only tarmac rallies left are Germany and Italy, the other tarmac ones at the beginning of the year include Monte Carlo, France (Corsica), and Spain (Catalunya). Although I know a lot of other events are on hard packed dirt or a packed gravel surface, which probably drives very similar to tarmac too.

Sorry if I was incorrect about the other info.

#9 ·
I wouldn't rally in my Primera. I think to be competitive, one would have to get a car other than thier daily driver, strip its guts (interior, sound absorbing mat., etc.), and get a good suspension. Then learn to drive on the dirt. Once that is done you will realise that you need 4WD to keep up with WRX, EVO, and Quattros so unless you import the T4, I don't think the g20 or Primera will cut it. (unless you want to win the wimpy class and not care about overall standings)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.