Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone just put a drop in K&N filter in? Can you tell a difference in sound or performance? I just bought one but yet to put it in.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I actually owned the drop in and also now with the Stillen Hi-Flow. The Stillen gives you sound that the K&N doesnt, for power, I would say the Stillen gives more

·
Registered
222 Posts
got the drop in , 2-5 mpg increse . didnt want the cone type for the hot air going in and the ammount of crap that they suck in up here as alaska uses ash/gravel on the roads instead of salt . recharge it beginning of every summer and middle of every winter .hard to tell a power diffrence espicaaly when its less than 5hp if anything but i just like the idea of cleaning my filter rather than buying new ones all the time gas milage and preformance is justa bonus

Mike -give me a beer and ill be happy
1996 G20

·
Registered
65 Posts
On the subject of a K&N...

When I first got my G20, it was bone stock. This is my first 5spd, so after getting it I went to some back roads to practice taking it off the line. I noticed while dropping into first from 3000 rpms, there was a slight bog-down after the tires gained traction. It actually took a second to get going again. I decided it might be restriction of air, so I checked the existing filter. To my dismay, it was a FRAM (or something like it) that was ass dirty. I stopped by the store to grab a K&N drop in, and replaced the dirty napkin that came with the car. With the drop-in, the "bog-down" is hardly noticable.

Alas, the drop in is only temporary until i find someone to custom build a cone for me.

2 cents

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
the reality of stock vs. K&N drop in

The reality is that the stock filter is oversized as it is (Infiniti uses the same filter element for their 6 cyl engines)...

What this translates to is that the K&N drop in won't buy you much other than a cleanable re-usable filter.

If you have a clean stock filter in your G20, it will give you the same performance as a drop in K&N.

Also, I've been told it has been proven that putting a different exhaust and/or header on your G20 (and not changing the cam or going to a turbo engine) means your car will actually be slower because of improper back pressure!

...now I'm gonna enjoy the debate on that one!?!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: the reality of stock vs. K&N drop in

Chris said:
Also, I've been told it has been proven that putting a different exhaust and/or header on your G20 (and not changing the cam or going to a turbo engine) means your car will actually be slower because of improper back pressure!

Hehehe! What a great topic to start a debate over. No this topic hasn't been run into the dirt a million times.

Well, all I am going to say 'bout that is, "Who the hell told you that?"

There is very little to be gained from an exhaust on the G20's only because the exhaust is already pretty decent. But no loss will occur unless someone really screwed up.

Tell him/her to keep their day job as long as they are not an auto mechanic or have a related job.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts

Chris said:
The reality is that the stock filter is oversized as it is (Infiniti uses the same filter element for their 6 cyl engines)...

What this translates to is that the K&N drop in won't buy you much other than a cleanable re-usable filter.

If you have a clean stock filter in your G20, it will give you the same performance as a drop in K&N.

Well, Geo has a P10DET with the STOCK exhaust. And there are many people throughout the forum have the Hotshot header, which by itself will probably yield 15hp. Whoever told you that proabably isn't on the forum(and if they are they sure as hell haven't done their research.:-\

·
Registered
218 Posts

Chris said:

Well, since you brought it up.....

There is no such thing as "good backpressure". All backpressure is bad. Anything which restricts the airflow through the engine is bad for power. The best exhaust system (for performance) is none at all. The reason that smaller tube exhausts make more power than larger tube exhausts has nothing to do with adding backpressure. The reason smaller is sometimes better is because the small power pulses from a small engine can't fill a large exhaust system. So, instead of the exhaust gasses cleanly going through the pipe and out the end, they swirl around inside and create....backpressure! So, backpressure is bad, but it just so happens that a large tube exhaust system can create MORE backpressure for a small engine than a small tube system will.

·
Registered
354 Posts
alright...i need a new air filter..this forum reminded me to check it today and yea it's pitch black. What do you guys think..should i buy the cheap 11$ disposable nissan air filters or should i go for the pop in K&N Filter for 40$. Do you guys actually notice a difference in feel, perforance, mpg? or is just bullshit
thanks
late

·
Registered
251 Posts
alright...i need a new air filter..this forum reminded me to check it today and yea it's pitch black. What do you guys think..should i buy the cheap 11$ disposable nissan air filters or should i go for the pop in K&N Filter for 40$. Do you guys actually notice a difference in feel, perforance, mpg? or is just bullshit
I got the K&N drop in for sale in the classfied section, go check it out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.