Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! The key I was given with my 93.5 g20 only fits the ignition and the doors not the trunk or glove box. Is this the valet key or something? How can I fix this without it costing an arm and a leg?

·
Registered
16 Posts
not sure on the legal issues over in the states but here in NZ if you buy your car from a dealer they must by law give you two keys with your car.....one must have the original keylock number stamped on it and the other can just be a copy for a spare......i found this out when i tried to get a key cut that was a copy and the locksmith wouldnt do it because it wasnt the original....i went back to the dealer and asked for the original which they didnt have either and they ended up having to change the locks and provide me with a new set of keys.....so if ya have bought ya car from a dealer then go back to them and ask for original if it was a private sale short of changing the locks you gonna have to stick with it :(

hope that answers ya question....id say with the only opening the doors and fitting the ignition it is a copyed key that has not been copyed from the original so possibly not identical to the original and doesnt fit the trunk or glove box as these need the original cut to be exact to work ....possibly a dealers key .....they all have them but wont tell ya they do ;)

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
yeah it sounds like you got the valet key. my g came w/ 2 of those, 2 regular keys that fit everything and 1 'master key' which i guess is the original. my valet keys have black handles w/ the infiniti logo, the regular ones are silver and say infiniti on them and the master key is just a plain looking key.

theres not much difference between the 2 kinds of keys though. it actually looks like you could shave down the valet key to make it fit the other locks, at least on my keys. the only difference between them is right by the base of the key, where the valet key has squared edges while the other key has curved in edges. i might be able to send a picture of this difference if i can find a scanner or something.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That valet key you described sounds like mine. Does anyone have a solution to this I really don’t want to change the locks. I will If I have to though. I really want to be able to lock my glove box. You think maybe a locksmith can modify the key so it works or maybe the Infiniti dealer has the original key on file?
thanx

·
Registered
616 Posts
Go to the dealer, describe the situation, and have them cut a key from the VIN. They can do this, they did it with my car. They will charge you an arm and a leg (especially if you want a purty key like I did) but it can be done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts