Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ok I'm tired of seeing everyone tell everyone else that GR-2's are just like the stock shocks, they are not. The GR-2's are ment to be a "sporty" replacement for you stockers, there is not a huge difference between them but the GR's are a little stiffer and can handle up to a 35% stiffer spring and can be lowered safely to 1.5". Now the AGX's will be stiffer and adjustable but when I talked to the KYB guy he told me that on average (different models very) the AGX's are set up to be 15% SOFTER than stock on it's lowest setting and almost double the stiffness on the highest setting. This is why I think some people have problems matching AGX's with regular lowering springs, if they have it set to 1 they get a real bouncy ride but as soon as they go any higher it gets to stiff. So with all that said I would recomend the GR-2's if you don't need adjustability they will handle the regular lowering springs just fine, but if you race or want adjustability and/or you plan on running coil overs with very high spring rates then you would want the AGX's.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont race or nething. my rigth rear shock i belive is blown and i need new shocks and i want some kind of aftermarket shock but not oem G20 shocks. i will prob get some B&G springs to lower it then

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well I can tell you that I do race and I run on B&G's and GR-2's and it is a very good ride very close to stock on the street but much better handling at the track.:cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's not more comfortable than stock. I would imagine that with stock springs the ride would be very good and possibly more comfortable then stock on certain roads but with the lowering springs the ride is a little stiffer so it can get rough over some bad roads but all and all it not to bad and it is close to the stock ride on most roads.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
wow!

....and ride comfortablity isnt to much of a factor...

IT is a big deal for me! Since I live in pothole city midwest, I'm VERY in-tune to ride quality. Since my G20 is for street use only and I like to keep my kidneys in one piece, I'm opting for KYB GR-2s with stock springs thank you very much!

For someone to make a comment like.... "and ride comfortablity isnt to much of a factor" sound like either

a) You are young and don't notice and/or don't care because you are under 25
b) You love to 'race' the streets and want that ride handling and don't care about compromising your ride feel over bumps
c) you live in an area with fantastic roads
d) ALL OF THE ABOVE

:evil:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
or

e: im a college student and money is also a factor (part time worker)

i will prob end up gettin GR-2 but as stated above the AGX are a more comfortable ride. so why would u get the GR-2's if the AGX are better and you love you comfort.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
don't need adjustables...

The GR-2s are close enough to stock for me.. only very slightly stiffer.. and with the same stock ride height, it should be a-o.k.

I don't need softer than stock.. and don't need/want to be able to adjust.... so why would I bother with AGX's?

·
Registered
97 Posts
The GR2's are a good stock shock replacement, but that's it. AGX are adjustable and have a lifetime warranty. get tired of riding on the bumpstops and want to get some real springs (coilovers) if you have the AGX you just crank them up a notch or two, with the GR2's you have to buy new struts.

Couple of things come to mind:

"mod cheap, mod twice"

"good, cheap, fast, pick any two"

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
well..

my fronts are getting slightly mushy but I was told to replace all 4 at one time.... so I am waiting for them to get worse and then I'll replace all 4.. right now it is only very slightly noticable from when it was new... it will get worse and then I'll buy all 4 GR-2s

·
Registered
146 Posts
jayntguru said:
The GR2's are a good stock shock replacement, but that's it. AGX are adjustable and have a lifetime warranty. get tired of riding on the bumpstops and want to get some real springs (coilovers) if you have the AGX you just crank them up a notch or two, with the GR2's you have to buy new struts.

Couple of things come to mind:

"mod cheap, mod twice"

"good, cheap, fast, pick any two"

Well I use the GR-2's with lowering springs (read some of my previous posts) and I DO NOT ride on the bump stops, the ride is NOT BOUNCY, actualy it is very close to stock exept on some of the bigger bumps you can tell it is much stiffer and the GR-2's come with the same warranty.
With that said I am going to say this one more time and please note that I am not an expert and I have very little experience with other setups but I did do a lot of research and I know what my setup feels like so here go's. IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE COILOVERS OR SPRINGS WITH A VERY HIGH RATE LIKE KGMM RACING SPRINGS THEN GET THE AGX'S BUT IF YOU WANT A GOOD SETUP FOR THE STREET THEN GET SOME GOOD LOWERING SPINGS AND YOU CAN USE THE GR-2'S IF YOU DO NOT WANT OR NEED ADJUSTABILITY. Again when I talked to the KYB people they told me that the gr-2's are designed to be a "sport" shock replacement and they CAN handle up to a 35% stiffer spring rate and the warranty will still be good for up to a 1.5" drop, this is exactly what they told me and through my experience I can tell you that the GR-2's are very good at handling a small drop. Thats it you do not have to believe me if you don't want to but I am just trying to help people out who want to lower there G and not spend and arm and a leg but still want a good comfortable street setup.
Now if you just want to replace your worn out shocks and still keep the factory springs then I would say the GR-2's would be perfect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts