Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we don't have an electrical sub forum, I thought I would ask this here - mods please move if there's a more appropriate place for this thread...

I know some people run carputers but some also use laptops right? what kind of an inverter should we use to run a laptop off our G's cig lighter? I don't want to cause an explosion and want to know which one to use safely while keeping red top battery alive...any suggestions from personal experiences?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
I'd use a proper 12v adapter rather than stepping up to 240v then back down to the laptop supply. I used an inverter for a while but it caused so much interference in the audio that I needed a ground loop isolator to get rid of it. Once I changed to a in-car laptop adapter then the interference went away.

I'll move this to the Audio/Security forum as it's related...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
just make sure you have enough watts to power the laptop, my 17" needs at least 140Watts to run, a 90watt one wont even let it turn, should be fine for smaller ones though...

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
i have a 200 watt supply from walmart that works great and it only cost $40. the on i bought from best buy for $60 is a piece of crap. ill get you brand names later.

*edit- the crappy one from best buy is a Vector. it worked for like a day.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the replies...Mark I understand what you mean but I need to use the lappie on a road trip tomorrow for navigation (am going to give the old Streets and Trips a try).

I ended up getting the 140W inverter since the local 'mart was out of the 200W one....

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Most laptop power supplies use between 65 and 90w...check the laptop and the power adapter and figure out how much power it uses. If you really want to know...you can hook up one of those wall plug-in voltmeters that reads the wattage usage of any household item and then base what inverter you get on that usage. At least, thats what I would do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts