Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i have a question about getting a lighter weight flywheel. I was reading the guide and i noticed it said that when you put a lighter flywheel on, that the car will require more gas as you let the clutch out from a stop.

I was thinking about this and i was wondering if this would really be a good idea to do for me. I have to get my clutch replaced now( she lasted 95k miles, good girl!! heh) and was told that its a good idea to get the flywheel resurfaced. So as a gift im getting a new one 8lb one from JGY. But do i really what this??

My question is being that it will require more gas off the line, also taking into consideration that in the summer time i will hvae 18 inch rims on the car. Would that in essence make me burn through my clutch faster since i will need to actualy use the clutch more when takin off from a stop? I was talking to a friend who is a machanic and he said that could definitely happen. Just wondering if you guys can give any truth to this. If everyone agrees i think ill just send the JGY one back and get my original one resurfaced when i take the clutch to be installed.

Thanks a lotfor your help in advance!

·
Pining for "DMSentra"
5,558 Posts
I would agree with the caution you've received. Mostly on the " could happen" part of it. If you don't use more rpm but use more control of the clutch and engine rpm at the same rpm as before it shouldn't change a thing. It'll just make it touchier off the line.
With me the decision would be based on what mods are on the car, what I want to do with it and what I want the car to act like.
If this is a daily driver that is basically stock, and as being a daily driver that you want a great deal of civility, I'd feel that I wouldn't gain enough benefit from the change to warrant it. If you're wanting a sportier attitude from the car and aren't so much into having it behave at it's factory best, are wanting some performance gains at the expense of some smoothness, especially if I planned on continuing with more mods later, I'd probably opt for the lightweight.
But, I'm heading for a big build, so a light wheel is a given on mine.

·
Super Moderator
15,151 Posts
I have a have a fidanza 8lb flywheel on my car and I don't think you have more clutch slipping when starting, the weight has been reduced so you don't have as much inertia, thus the need for more throttle. I personally believe this is an awesome mod, and doesn't cost a whole lot. My brother has a 94.5 G20t and he loves the feel of my car with the fly wheel as opposed to his without. It is much more responsive to the throttle and revs up quicker. I don't know the exact science behind it but I say go for it. If I'm totally wrong, I am sure someone will chime in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts