Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a lightning audio 1 farad capacitor in there system, or a capacitor at all?? I'm gettin a fiberglass box made and the guy doin it said capacitors suck and i should just get another battery after i bought my cap. Any thoughts???:-\

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no-one on this forum uses a capacitor?? come on...:hurt:

·
Registered
886 Posts
:cool:
just use a second battery instead of caps. they are useless. i used 2 yellow top battery by optima and no blinking lights even if i turn up my system.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn, i wish i'da known this before i bought one. you think you can give me some details on exactly what i need and how to wire another battery to my system so that it won't die? thanks man

·
Registered
886 Posts
:cheeky:
i wish i could help u with the details but i had my local audio installation shop do this. since u have a somebody building a custom fiberglass housing or your subs maybe he knows better than i do. make use of your caps or u can return it. my system uses two yellow top battery (one by the front and one beside my sub enclosure at the trunk) and two 1 farad caps. i used to have only 1 battery and two caps but still my lights dim whenever i turn up the system so i added a second battery. they used two circuit breakers so the batteries wont heat up and i think they used 4 guage cables from the front to the back and wired in series. i don't know much but i do know that adding a second battery will really fir up ur system. peace.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks man, i just started in a car class at school and they have batteries laying around everywhere so maybe i can get some for free:)

·
Registered
306 Posts
NOT in series !!!

rlman41299 said:
:cheeky:
... i think they used 4 guage cables from the front to the back and wired in series. i don't know much but i do know that adding a second battery will really fir (fire) up ur (your) system. peace.
Batteries are wired in PARALLEL. Wiring them in series will result in 24 volts and BLOW your amps. Wired in parallel DOUBLES the current capacity will keeping the voltage the same.

·
Registered
411 Posts
u sure in the heck need to know alot bout wiring and cars if u want to do this. the potiental of messing something up is great and could potientally be vary costly(ex. battery blowing up). however if u do decide to do it urself, http://www.hellroaring.com/Basic Aux Audio.htm should give u some help. better do alot of reading before starting this, like reading the whole site.

oh ya, and how powerful is ur system?? i had 2 12" audiobahn w/ a 2000 watt amp w/ 2 caps and it worked perfict. no dimming lights or anything. i also had 4 neons and a small 300 watt amp for the rear speakers.

if ur installing a cap, make sure u do it right and charge it up BEFORE installing it. that is the typical reason they dont do anything.

·
Registered
886 Posts
thanks for the advice. by the way what's the model no. for your amps? 2000 watts? mine? visonik V2000T class T amps. u have a copy of car audio august 2002? but hey, ur right with the caps. we did not recharge it. but a second battery is better than blowing up my alternator.

·
Registered
522 Posts
How many watts RMS are you putting through this system? I am currently pushing around 800W RMS and a one farad cap running inline from the stock battery has been more than enough (no dimming at all). Only if you are going to be breaking the 1000W RMS barrier would you need to start thinking about adding a second battery. If you are below 1000W RMS, a second battery will just be added weight.

And like my litl g20 said, make sure the cap is charged before letting any power go through it too the system.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm runnin 2 jl 12w3d2's with an mtx 2300x run in 2 ohm so it gets like 330 watts per channel (what it says on the amp certificate) so thats why i figgured a 1 farad cap would work wonders for my current setup

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have one more question, did u guys hook your cap up with the charging card in your car or what?? thanks!!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Are you running just that amp (for 660W RMS total), or are you amping the other speakers also? If you are running just that amp, there in no reason in hell to add a second battery.

BTW, what the hell is a charging card?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got a lightning audio digital monitor cap and it said and came with this charging car the you hook up to the two terminals on top and then hook up with a power and ground. Then you can hook it up to your amp. What i figured i would do was hook it up in my car and let it run for a while to charge it up and then take it off and plug it into my amp. what kinda cap are you runnin??

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and yeah, that amp is just for the subs. i just put in infiniti kappa door and sill speakers and they sound perfect powered by just my alpine head unit.

·
Registered
522 Posts
That installer in blowing smoke up your ass. There in no reason for a second battery in your system. The main reason he probably said that is because it adds a good chunk of labor time to install extra wiring and the battery. If I were you I would stick to just the cap, it should definitely do fine.

I have a Rockford Fosgate 1 farad cap holding around 800W RMS. One farad caps are good for up to 1000W RMS. How much did you pay for yours? I got mine at work with my discount for $58, regular price $159. I have seen some places charge up to $199 for the damn thing.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Also, I have a 99 G with the original battery from the factory, and I live in Phoenix. I added my system about a year ago and everything is running strong. Knock on wood...

·
Registered
411 Posts
rlman41299 said:
thanks for the advice. by the way what's the model no. for your amps? 2000 watts? mine? visonik V2000T class T amps. u have a copy of car audio august 2002? but hey, ur right with the caps. we did not recharge it. but a second battery is better than blowing up my alternator.
i had( had to sell to pay for a dam clutch and new fly) a boss audio rev995 or something like that. i t was a 4 channel bridged down to 2. i was running, i have a true rms meter, 1175watts rms total.

even adding a second battery, u still are using the same altonator. both batteries are hooked up to the altonator. if u are really worried u can put a high powered altonator in ur car(dont recomend doing). dont worry the visonik amp wont blow the altonator, if anything it will wear it out fast, like u might be replacing it at 90-100,000 miles. that is when u go to a higher powered altonator.

now if u add another visonik, that is a whole new story.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've always been confused about one thing when adding a second battery. The problem:

Now you have two batteries, two power sources for the STOCK crappy alternator to charge. Yes you can get a deep cycle battery but still, nominal battery voltage is about 12.6-12.8, in order to achive the nice 14.4 it comes from the alternator. Wouldn't the alternator still be struggling to charge 2 batteries now, not just one. Now that the amp can get its power from the second battery, it'll definitely run it down. Do you have to charge the batteries monthly or so? Guess that's all.

My experience with caps isn't very good either - that's why I took mine out completely. It would just FULLY discharge and recharge (1 farad isn't good for 1500+ RMS ...obviously) - unless I was listening to a song with a bass knock every 3 seconds or so.

I'm looking into an Optima Yellow Top

1 - 20 of 33 Posts