Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tryn to find a quite set up for my friends ride....but dont want the whole set up from the down pipe...just tryn to get it from the cat. does anyone know what is the best around, was thinking about apex but they dont have anything. also was wondering if the 4 door B14 chasis setup (exhaust route/ hanger pattern) is the same as the 4door P11 set up. i kno that the suspension is different but tryn to see if they would match up. thanks in advance.

drew

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
custom. 2.25" crush bent w/o resonator, with a magnaflow if he's looking to spend little money.

·
Questioning Answers
6,853 Posts
i dont know aboutu u, but i think crush bends suck!......Dead Sentra ~ go out & find a mineke in VA & have them do a 2.25 mandrel bent catback system WITH! a bigg resonnator (22in long, 4-5" wide). & you should be nice & quite.......

chiken........ANY exhaust w/o a resonator is going ot be loud!, & the crush bend? come on, i know alot of people see its hard to find a place to do a mandrel job cheap, but im telling u, mineke has a mandrel bender & it only cot me $200 after all takex & extra stufu (hangers, labor) to do my exhast

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
enohand said:
i dont know aboutu u, but i think crush bends suck!......Dead Sentra ~ go out & find a mineke in VA & have them do a 2.25 mandrel bent catback system WITH! a bigg resonnator (22in long, 4-5" wide). & you should be nice & quite.......

chiken........ANY exhaust w/o a resonator is going ot be loud!, & the crush bend? come on, i know alot of people see its hard to find a place to do a mandrel job cheap, but im telling u, mineke has a mandrel bender & it only cot me $200 after all takex & extra stufu (hangers, labor) to do my exhast
crush bends do suck indeed but are cheaper than mandrel.

and i disagree with the resonator, im running w/o one with my remus Ti muffler and its barely louder than stock.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I haven't seen a Meineke that has a mandrel bender. Are you sure you know what a real mandrel bend is? I'd like to see a pic of your exhaust when you have a chance.

enohand said:
i know alot of people see its hard to find a place to do a mandrel job cheap, but im telling u, mineke has a mandrel bender & it only cot me $200 after all takex & extra stufu (hangers, labor) to do my exhast

·
I'm Better Than Zohaib
1,024 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
I haven't seen a Meineke that has a mandrel bender. Are you sure you know what a real mandrel bend is? I'd like to see a pic of your exhaust when you have a chance.

most of those places are owned like franchises... sometimes the owner invests in them... the Meineke over by my house has a mandrel bender... :teeth:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Im actually thinking of doing my whole exhaust system as well .... and Im thinking of doing a magnaflow muffler...this is the muffler

the problem im thinking is ....Im also installing my headers and doing 2.25 mandrel bend piping....now with this exhaust and headers do u think I should also install a resonator....I dont want it to be crazy loud and sound like a honda ricer. :scared: ..lol...sorry you honda guys but I hate them hondas...lol :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
When you say 'quiet' do you mean from inside or outside the car? From outside the car, sure, alot of mufflers will sound about the same level as stock, but when you're inside the car, it can be a whole different story. That's one reason why they have resonators in the first place. 'jd20jd' first went with a 2.5" 'true' mandrel bent cat back system with a 'bullet type' resonator and a Magnaflow muffler. When we stood behind the car and listened to it for those short few burst revving the car, it sounded sweet. Nice low tone. IMO even a little quieter than stock. BUT, after actually driving around, he found it just too loud from inside the car. He ended up replacing the 'bullet style' resonator with a Magnaflow round can muffler (contrary to popular belief, Magnaflow does not make 'resonators', people just use their round can mufflers as a resonator).

About my reference to 'true' mandrel bends. Again, contrary to popular belief, most muffler shops do not do 'true mandrel bending. Sure the machine they use looks like it's mandrel bent, but really it's just a pipe bender with various anvils for different sized tubing. True mandrel bending is a more involved process where they actually use inserts inside the tubing to be bent, so that it maintains the tubing inner diameter along the with a true round shape. The type of tube bending machines most average muffler shops have does a good job to bend the tubing, the the diameter in the radius section of pipe is both slightly smaller in diameter than the straight section of the pipe and not truly round. Here's one thread I found talking about this. Here's the list of threads I got when I searched using the words 'real mandrel' Back to jd20jd's setup. It was made up with real mandrel bent sections that were then welded together.

I think why alot of people see/here of such varying costs for a mandrel bent system, is because alot of average shops will pawn off there own machined bent tubing as mandrel bent, and the more knowledgeable shops will weld up an exhaust form pre-made true mandrel bent sections, or if they are a really high-end shop, they'll have the real mandrel bending machines.

That's my :2cents: about 'tubing/piping' Oh one last thing, unless your friend has some serious mods (IE. cams, NOS) there's no need to go anything bigger than 2.25" on the cat-back tubing. Going bigger will only be louder. Refer to the first link, I believe it's mentioned there as well.

Lastly, googling on the net, I came across this one article entitled 'Muffler Theory'. And this one entitled 'Burns Header Theory'. From what I know, Burns is one of the better known/respected authorities on header & exhaust designs. They make some serious stuff.

I hope my long winded reply helped to confuse you even more! LOL JJ! I just want to pass along what I have learned in my research that will finally lead up to my cat-back system for my P11 ('01) to be done in this spring. As for a muffler, I picked up the Remus 'Bolt-on' axle back model. They're not cheap, but having heard/seen this exact one in person, as well as being driven around in the car with it, the decision was made that I had to get it!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
i got my exhaust done at Meineke too...
all mandrel bends from just after the axel
plus hangers and all for $120 done in 30 min

check at this write-up if youd like as well...
http://g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58175

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Can you take a couple pics of the bends when you have a chance please?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yea id like to see a couple pics too if possible. If they really do it for $120, Id definitely go there for some piping. I'd bring my own 10' 3 inch pipe too!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
SucKit said:
Yea id like to see a couple pics too if possible. If they really do it for $120, Id definitely go there for some piping. I'd bring my own 10' 3 inch pipe too!
i went to 2 different meinakes to get price quotes. the palce back at home said
hed do it $150, but was only planning on doing a small elbow bend. then i went
to a place here by me at school, and i talked the guy down from $140 to $120,
and he did mandrel bends from about 2 feet past the axle (towards the cat) to
my exhaust.

ill get you pics come spring time if you want.
i dont have a garage here at school, and theres
no way im crawling under the car to take pics with
the wheather we'v been having.

mandrel bends arnt very hard to distinguish
compared to crush bends. i know what i have

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That may be true, but many people think that just because their bends don't have crush bend wrinkles they have mandrel. They confuse smooth reduction bent with mandrel bent.

njprimera said:
mandrel bends arnt very hard to distinguish
compared to crush bends. i know what i have

1 - 18 of 18 Posts