Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 G20 and when Im at high RPM 's like when your on the highway the engine seems to get really loud. I changed the tranny about 3 months ago, but I dont think that has anything to do with it. By the way its a automatic. Anybody have a idea what it could be?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The muffler is kind of rusty but most of the noise is coming directly from the engine. Sometimes when I come off the line it makes like a loud chirpping sound and then stops. I have like 114,000 miles on it by the way in case you wanted to know. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
o.k. well...

have you had a chance to check your flexpipe? That part moves around alot with engine vibration and if it gets even the smallest pinhole, you'll get a lot of noise from the front!!! ...and the flex part of it is is a known weakspot...

Up here in the midwest rust belt.. that flexpipe is the first to go and all the noise is in the front with that!!!!

...other than that, I'm outta ideas myself!

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
can you describe the sound a little bit better. Im not sure what a chirping sound is. All I know is thats birds chirp and I dount think its possible for the "sr" to reproduce bird noises

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Primera1483 said:
it makes like a loud chirpping sound and then stops.
You might have a hole in your exahust system some where, check the flexpipe, thats the first place. It could be a gaskete too. My HS Header is doing that and I found a hole in the weld and couldnt find it until after the discoloration pointed it out....I need to send it back....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know this will sound like a dumb question but where is the flexpipe located? Is it right in the front behind the valve cover? How far does that flexpipe run?

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
no worries...

About the best description I can give is dead center under the car between the driver and passanger seat... clearly visible from under the car that is! It might be a little more towards the passanger side but I honestly don't remeber at this moment. Anyway, you can't see it from your engine compartment at all because it is located under and behind...

I hope that helps!!!

BTW: It is hard to miss... it will contain a weaved section of wires to form a cross pattern.... when it is new, it looks almost like woven stainless steel but it rusts pretty easily unfortunately!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Re: no worries...

Chris said:
BTW: It is hard to miss... it will contain a weaved section of wires to form a cross pattern.... when it is new, it looks almost like woven stainless steel but it rusts pretty easily unfortunately!
So that's what that thing is. I think mine's seen better days. Maybe that's what creates the rattle when I accelerate.

Anyone know how much the part costs? If I ask for a "flexpipe", the dealer will know what I'm talking about right?:)

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Re: Re: no worries...

Mike.Com said:

So that's what that thing is. I think mine's seen better days. Maybe that's what creates the rattle when I accelerate.

Anyone know how much the part costs? If I ask for a "flexpipe", the dealer will know what I'm talking about right?:)

actually, the heat shield is what rattles. It is in the same place but is a thin sheet of metal attached to the top of the undercarriage

·
Registered
880 Posts
i'm gonna have to aggree with everyone else, probably your flex pipe. but do check for any other exhaust leaks, starting at the exhaust manifold all the way back to the muffler. as for the chirp, make sure that all your belts are tight, particularly the alternator belt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts