Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

LOUD screeching/whistling sound when car warming up

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXcelsior 
#1 ·
So I get a really loud screech/high-pitched whistle sound when my car is warming up.. I accelerate in neutral for a bit and it goes away. Sometimes, it comes back randomly.

I am thinking this is a belt that needs to be replaced. Anyone else had this?

#2 ·
belt needs to be tightened. your alternator has a bolt that you can turn on one side of it that moves it tighter and looser. look down there and youll find it. you should be able to by hand rotate the belt (when not running lol) to see the opposite side (so 180 degrees), but no more, so tighten to that point

#5 ·
belt needs to be tightened. your alternator has a bolt that you can turn on one side of it that moves it tighter and looser. look down there and youll find it. you should be able to by hand rotate the belt (when not running lol) to see the opposite side (so 180 degrees), but no more, so tighten to that point
yeah, that sounds right. I'll go take a look tonight. Thanks!

casual said:
and also if u leave u'r a/c on all the time turn off the when u shutting off the car and when u restart start driving then put the A/C on.
I wish my A/C worked lol...

sounds like im boosting when im really not.
nah, makes it sound like the engine is about to blow up..

#6 ·
the belt that needs to be tightened is the same as the drivetrain belt, right?

Also, where is the alternator on these cars (stupid question)?? Just the car isn't with me right now and I wanna know where to look once I'm back home with the G.

#7 ·
alternator is the top accessory near the upper radiator hose, behind the passenger side headlight

#8 ·
I see your car is a 91? It's better to spend the $$ and just replace the belt(s). If it's still the original belt, it owes you nothing after 16 years! lol Also, too many times people will spend $$ on bling stuff, instead of maintenance stuff that if these parts fail, it WILL cost you ALOT after the fact! Hell, my car only has 128K on it now (it's an '01) and I plan to replace my belts this summer. Better safe than sorry!

And the alternator is located up in the left side of the engine (front left corner).

You live in Ottawa I see...... Any plans to be in T.O. on Jan 21st? We're gong to have a SOG (Southern Ontario G20's) meet @ 3pm. Location TBD but definitely in the GTA.

#9 ·
2000 G-Twenty-T said:
I'm looking for it but can't find it. Can someone give me a reference point or visual?

Also, what do you mean by "see the opposite side, but no more, so tighten to that point"?

#10 ·
slimlou said:
You live in Ottawa I see...... Any plans to be in T.O. on Jan 21st? We're gong to have a SOG (Southern Ontario G20's) meet @ 3pm. Location TBD but definitely in the GTA.
Well my car isn't running, so no way to get to T.O =( I'm also afraid of going that far at this moment, too many things need to be changed in order to get my car to good condition.

--

On a side note, I am getting REALLY desperate to find out where the hell that tensioner screw is in order to increase tension on the belt. ANYTHING would be helpful. I'm also unclear on how tight it should be and what to tighten it with.

The alternator is a PITA, I can't even reach it properly because of all the stuff in the way.

#13 ·
ok I found the tensioning bolts. It is located at the top of the car, directly behind the passenger headlight.

Now, I understand there are 2 12mm locknuts. I need to unscrew the one on the side before starting to tighten the belt with the one on the top.

Can someone tell me which way both locknuts need to be turned in order to tighten it? I can't seem to get the locknut on the side to turn..

As well, can someone tell me the dimensions/part# of the belts? What is the part# of the A/C compressor bypass belt? I want to bypass it since my A/C is useless anyways..

#14 ·
mrzuzzo said:
Can someone tell me which way both locknuts need to be turned in order to tighten it? I can't seem to get the locknut on the side to turn..
Righty tighty, lefty loosey. ;)

#17 ·
Remember that this is as you are facing the bolt. So if the bolt is facing the opposite direction from you (like, you are getting one at the back of the engine bay or under the car or something) you have to turn it the other way. If that makes any sense.

#18 ·
2000 G-Twenty-T said:
alright well I finally got both bolts loose. This is what I did:

1. Loosen locknut on the side.
2. Loosen locknut on top a bit.
3. Tighten the locknut on top, I made it do ~5-6 turns..

Question is, how do I know if it's tight enough or not? Am I doing the correct procedure?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.