Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after waiting almost two months and losing one motor in the mail (incredible) i finally got my JDM SR20DE today. The old lowport is already pulled and I'd been waiting for this thing forever. I highly reccomend purchasing through Makoto engines, they're a great company and really did an awesome job with communicating with me and very fast shipping (www.makotoengines.com)

Do not use Central Transport to ship anything ever. Their customer service people lied to me on 5 separate occasions about the old motor and it ended up that they lost it. I had purchased through r390 sports before that and they seem like a good company and it wasn't their fault what happened with the shipping so I can't really give them a positive or negative feedback.

Anyways, all that aside, i'll be doing my best to get a writeup for this job since I've been having a really hard time piecing all the information together from here and sr20forum. Hopefully we can get a comprehensive look at what it takes to do this (i.e. what sensors/accessories are needed from each motor, etc). If anyone has any tips before i dive into this tomorrow feel free to post.

I can already say that it's pretty easy to get the old motor out, we took it out from the bottom. We didn't use an engine hoist because i thought i needed to get it out quickly and i couldn't source one soon enough. I'd reccomend using one (use it to hoist the car up, put it on jack stands then use it to support the motor and lower it down) if you can get your hands on it, it makes it a lot safer and easier.

here's a few pics from today:
this is as far as the delivery guy could get it because his pallet jack wouldn't go through the 6 inches of snow we just got.

the trail i made when i had to drag the stupid thing by myself into the garage (i need to start working out). That's my roomate's 328is i borrowed to get to the garage i'm working in, it's fun in the snow.

mmm jdm oil filter haha

and one of the motor unwrapped for now.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Good luck man, I'm looking forward to seeing how this swap goes, since highports are usually a lot cheaper and easier to find than lowports. :teeth:

Oh, and how much was the motor? It looks pretty clean. :cool:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, meant to post that cause i thought it was a darn good price. It was $470 if i had it shipped to a business address, but i didn't haha, so it ended up being $510.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Congrats!!!

Highport FTW :naughty:

Chris

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Paid $200. for my high port on eBay, picked it up so no shipping. A nice, lo-mile JDM, checked out, on pallet, just like yours. Timing and patience is everything. I disagree that low ports are any more or less than high ports if you look around.

For the high in a low port car, I'd plan on a lot of harness splicing. Key to the whole project is to be scrupulous about the wiring and connections (solder and shrink tubing). You know about having to change out temp sensor, temp gage sender, intake manifold, distributor (maybe), and the thermostat housing? They're all a little different- you'll have to scope out what you got. Some of the probs will be that you won't have the old engine to use as a model and to pull parts off of. Come to think of it, you won't have a US manifold for a high port to swap out with the JDM.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of all the successful swaps from lowport usdm to highport jdm i've never seen anyone change the intake manifolds. Mark even posted that the manifolds won't line up on the usdm and jdm, so i'm not sure about that. But i do have my old engine, it's actually sitting behind the jdm one in that picture above. I'm assuming you've already done your swap, if you have a full list of what needs to be swapped over, that'd probably be the most helpful thing ever, seeing as how everywhere i look they list like three things and that's it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think he just means you have no USDM Highport to grab sensors from.

Chris

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I did a straight high-high port US to JDM swap, and to keep the US EGR, etc. you have to use the US manifold. Most of the sensors are the same, except for the 2 temp ones, so I just used the best one from both. My JDM had the dist. with the internal coil, and the US '92 it was going into had the external coil. There were some minor differences in the thermostat housing, so I used the US one. I had to swap the exhaust manifolds out as the JDM one did not have the 02 sensor hole, which I understand is in the exhaust pipe on the JDM car. There were some differences in the elec connectors, which I had to splice. But as I said, I had both engines sitting side by side, so it was real easy to check and swap stuff out. I never had to worry about the ECU.

There are posts here about using a low port in a high port application. I have a nice low port I could have used in the '92, but I just didn't want to have to frig around with putting the wrong engine in the wrong car, so I waited until I could get a great buy on the high port within a decent driving distance. I still have the low-mile low port available (most of my G's are low-ports) for when I need it.

You are essentially putting an older engine into a newer car. I'm sure you'll eventually make it work, be interesting to see what kind of issues come up for you as you move along with the project. Keep us posted and good luck!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
worked on it last night from 10pm until 5 am and we got a decent amount done i think. here's a list of stuff we've swapped over so far:
distributor,
engine temp sensor and temp gauge sender,
a/c compressor and bracket,
alternator,
throttle position sensor (TPS),
idle air control valve (IACV),
ehaust manifold (i found that if you have the SSAC header with the bung for the EGR you'll need something to plug that),
clutch and flywheel including bolts (flexplate bolts are too short),
knock sensor,
fuel rail (the one i got was bent as hell, need to get a new one or somehow repair the one i have)

if anyone has a fuel rail that will work, or knows how to fix the one i have that's bent please let me know.

more updates tonight

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tonight we got everything pretty much together as far as the wiring harness on the new motor and putting on all the missing brackets and such. There are still some questions that remain unanswered for me:

Where can i get a new fuel rail for my JDM highport motor?

where can i get a plug to cover up the hole in the exhaust manifold where the EGR used to go?

other than that everything went really well. The wiring harness wasn't nearly as hard as i heard it was supposed to be. Had to extend a couple wires but all is well.

Please help me out if you guys have any ideas. Thanks again.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
blackp10g20 said:
Tonight we got everything pretty much together as far as the wiring harness on the new motor and putting on all the missing brackets and such. There are still some questions that remain unanswered for me:

Where can i get a new fuel rail for my JDM highport motor?

where can i get a plug to cover up the hole in the exhaust manifold where the EGR used to go?

other than that everything went really well. The wiring harness wasn't nearly as hard as i heard it was supposed to be. Had to extend a couple wires but all is well.

Please help me out if you guys have any ideas. Thanks again.
Nissport sells full EGR blockoff kits for like $40. If ya need a UDSM fuel rail, my 92 has one, shoot me a PM and we'll work something out. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
blackp10g20 said:
Of all the successful swaps from lowport usdm to highport jdm i've never seen anyone change the intake manifolds. Mark even posted that the manifolds won't line up on the usdm and jdm, so i'm not sure about that. But i do have my old engine, it's actually sitting behind the jdm one in that picture above. I'm assuming you've already done your swap, if you have a full list of what needs to be swapped over, that'd probably be the most helpful thing ever, seeing as how everywhere i look they list like three things and that's it.
Just for the record... you cannot switch the lowport and highport intake manifolds... the face of the head surfaces are at different angles... any lowport-lowport can be replaced, but highports/lowports manifold swaps will not work.

·
Registered
582 Posts
UDSM Highport fuel rail will work, I am 99.99999999999% sure.

Chris

·
Registered
582 Posts
blackp10g20 said:
Just plug it with a bolt of that size / threads.

Chris

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh yeah, does anyone know where this tube goes from the throttle body on a highport motor, this pic is looking at it from the rear of the motor. (the tube with the white lettering/numbering on it)

i found the same one on my lowport but checked the FSM and thought it was part of the egr ... but it's on the new motor which doesn't that so i'm slightly confused haha.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
blackp10g20 said:
oh yeah, does anyone know where this tube goes from the throttle body on a highport motor, this pic is looking at it from the rear of the motor. (the tube with the white lettering/numbering on it)

i found the same one on my lowport but checked the FSM and thought it was part of the egr ... but it's on the new motor which doesn't that so i'm slightly confused haha.
hrm, I just replaced all my vacuum lines, seems like I'd remember what it did. Would some pics of a lowport help? I can snap some of mine tomorrow if you need them.

EDIT: I thiiiiiiiink it goes into the intake right before the throttle body, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update, motor and trans are in the car. got slowed down with a few things like installing the clutch and flywheel without putting on the big metal seal thing first.

things left to do, axels, ecu, air intake, exhaust manifold, fuel rail (courtesy of bhowle), somehow plug the exhaust manifold, new spark plugs, new oil filter, fill up all the fluids, put the seats back in the interior (parents just got a steam cleaner for their rental houses, so i had to try it out for them. Too tired to post pics right now, will post tomorrow or whenever i head back over and get some more shots.

thanks for tuning in haha.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts