Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I can't say for sure if it replaces the I35, but it supposed to be Infiniti's answer to the BMW 5-series. Considering that it has the same engine as the Q, it should have enough muscle to 0-60 in less than 6 sec. I haven't seen anything about it having manual though. And as for whether the suspension is worthy of such power remains to be seen. My only gripe is the car's styling. Oh well, thank god for the G35 Coupe.;)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Pretty much all Infinitis are automatic transmissioned, 'cept for "sportier" cars such as the G35 coupes and of course, the G20. The M45 is basically a direct portover of a Nissan's Gloria and Cedric sedans from Japan. It looks the way it does because the car's style has been around since the mid 90s...kinda outdated to be bringing it around NOW, and this kinda hurts Infiniti's lineup. Alas, another marketing blunder on Infiniti's part. While Nissan rises up the ranks, Infiniti continues to slip, despite having GREAT cars.

Infiniti did the right thing by bringing the Skyline here as the G35. Q45 = Cima, right? and I35 = Cefiro. (www.nissan.co.jp/CARLINEUP) With the Primera goin' out, I think Infiniti is just shrinking their already tiny selection of cars. I think Infiniti would be doing itself a favor by bringing the Laurel *still looks more updated than the Gloria/Cedric* to the U.S. to compete with BMW's 5-series. Supposedly, BMW is also thinking of a new "1-series" and if that ever happens, I think Nissan can bring some of their smaller cars to Infiniti to compete with.

Ooh, or for a real shot in the arm, the Skyline GT-R as an Infiniti..? Ahh, but that would NEVER happen....

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
FF Drifter said:
Alas, another marketing blunder on Infiniti's part. While Nissan rises up the ranks, Infiniti continues to slip, despite having GREAT cars.
:depressed Yeah, I know what you mean.....:-\

·
Registered
13,196 Posts
um....

I hear the M45 is to fill a niche market.. not a replacement for the I35.. but the I35 is going away because it is too close to the new G35 I'm told... but what do I know? I don';t work for Nissan so I am just going by what I remember reading in one of my 8 car magazine subscriptions and by knowing someone who works for Infiniti...:cheeky:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I can say for sure that Infiniti intends to have a full lineup of RWD cars.:)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I think M45 hurts Infiniti's image. It's not a good looking car, and the only real thing going for it is the price/power ratio. Going for a niche market is a suicide blunder because Infiniti is already a niche car distributor, and it needs a greater percentage of the market. Infiniti really wasn't a part of the japanese luxury car wave, like Acura/Honda and Lexus/Toyota were. Nissan at the time was somewhat shooting itself in the foot, but now that Nissan's back up near the top, it's a chance for Infiniti to follow along. The M45 is NOT a part of that.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
FF Drifter said:
I think M45 hurts Infiniti's image. It's not a good looking car, and the only real thing going for it is the price/power ratio. Going for a niche market is a suicide blunder because Infiniti is already a niche car distributor, and it needs a greater percentage of the market. Infiniti really wasn't a part of the japanese luxury car wave, like Acura/Honda and Lexus/Toyota were. Nissan at the time was somewhat shooting itself in the foot, but now that Nissan's back up near the top, it's a chance for Infiniti to follow along. The M45 is NOT a part of that.
I agree. I think that it's redundant to have 2 cars so similar in the lineup. I dare say that the M and the Q are so close that they almost overlap. I mean, why not just keep it simple?:-\ Have the G35 sedan/coupe offer 5-series/E-class performance at 3-series/C-class prices and have the Q45 offer 7-series/S-class performance at 5-series/E-class prices.:-\

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Could be way off base here, but Nissan might have a shitload of Nissan's Gloria and Cedric sedan chassis' from Japan sitting around and need to unload them to dump their inventory. Gotta make room for the new models right? Maybe they decided to dump some of the inventory over here in the US. Just a hunch, but I wouldn't put it past them to do that.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
NismoPC said:
Could be way off base here, but Nissan might have a shitload of Nissan's Gloria and Cedric sedan chassis' from Japan sitting around and need to unload them to dump their inventory. Gotta make room for the new models right? Maybe they decided to dump some of the inventory over here in the US. Just a hunch, but I wouldn't put it past them to do that.
That's an interesting theory. If it were true, then I think that Nissan would do better to have the Gloria and Cedric go head to head with the Toyota Avalon, Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marqius.
My .02

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I kinda doubt that. The Nissan Cedric and Gloria are both selling well in Japan *hey, they have two cars based on the same chassis!* and are even outselling the Nissan Siliva *sob...so said it's gone now...* I think Infiniti seeks to RECREATE the Cedric/Gloria's success in Japan, but as we all know, what works on that side of the Pacific doesn't always work here. Just look at the Cima/Q45. It's completely overlooked here, and that's a reflection of Infiniti's image in general. Most people don't even know that Infiniti is Nissan's luxury brand. That's how ignored the company is.

I know it's highly uncharacteristic of luxury brands, but I think Infiniti should sidle itself up next to Nissan and openly flaunt that it's got the same stuff that Nissan has. I know Acura/Honda and Lexus/Toyota don't try to associate themselves, but imagine how well G35s would sell if everyone knew they were Nissan Skylines in Japan.

Oh, quick sidenote: Toyota's gonna release ANOTHER branch of cars in the United States. Toyota: main line, Lexus: luxury cars, and SCION: small *youth image* brand of cars... I'm expecting the Corolla hatchback and maybe a non-luxury Altezza (IS300) in this bunch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts