Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2399 Posts

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the latest Car and Driver, and they have a preview of the new Infiniti M45 in it. It's trying to compete with the Lexus GS and Acura RL, but it's got the 4.5 V8 from the Q45. I think it looks kinda cool, but that's just me...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It looks too outdated. The M45 is based on the Y34 Nissan Glorias/Cedrics, and that platform is pretty much on its way out in Japan as it is, but now Infiniti wants to bring it here as a new car. It's too old-looking to maintain sales for more than...two years at most? The M45 was a MISTAKE to bring over, I think. Instead, they should've waited until an update to the Y34 came out, before bringing anything else over. Marketing like this just KILLS Infiniti...

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
It looks too outdated. The M45 is based on the Y34 Nissan Glorias/Cedrics, and that platform is pretty much on its way out in Japan as it is, but now Infiniti wants to bring it here as a new car. It's too old-looking to maintain sales for more than...two years at most? The M45 was a MISTAKE to bring over, I think. Instead, they should've waited until an update to the Y34 came out, before bringing anything else over. Marketing like this just KILLS Infiniti
true that but i do give it thumbs up on the interior design it truly is a creation of the future except by the time this car comes out tha level of an interior is pretty much becoming standard on most cars so they might have to step up even more before releasing it

casual

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
FF Drifter said:
It looks too outdated. The M45 is based on the Y34 Nissan Glorias/Cedrics, and that platform is pretty much on its way out in Japan as it is, but now Infiniti wants to bring it here as a new car. It's too old-looking to maintain sales for more than...two years at most? The M45 was a MISTAKE to bring over, I think. Instead, they should've waited until an update to the Y34 came out, before bringing anything else over. Marketing like this just KILLS Infiniti...
I have to agree. It's almost as if Infiniti/Nissan enjoy tripping all over each other. For friggin' crying out loud, why in the hell would anyone come out with an outdated car(regardless how good the chassis might be) and slap an upscale nameplate on it? :confused: The M45 only weighs 200-250 less than the Q, so what advantage could it possibly have performance-wise? I would not hesitate to go to Infiniti and tell them not to insult the American public by dumping an outdated car on US shores and rebadging it with a "luxury" nameplate.:-\ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
i agree as well... they shouldnt have brought that ugly m45 over. what about the new SUV they are working on... any thots on that? I heard they are gonna discontinue the Qx4 cuz of that. Looks kinda funny to me. Kinda like a car raised and with big wheels. just my 2cents

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The FX45 is going to replace the QX4. It looks WAY better, I think, kinda like an upscale Nissan Murano...? I think the FX45 is a step in the RIGHT direction, while the M45 definitely is NOT. They should just wait for the Y35 or something.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
42g's 340hp and voice recognition and smart cruise control
it seems like its the same as the q45 not much diff and earlier when i was talking about the interior i was talking about the fx45 interior being a thing of the future

is it just me or does it seem that the infiniti's coming out now arent too much of the step up from the nissans coming out now . not that much gap in between the cars.
casual

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think it is a joke that they couldn't even CREATE a new motor for the "M45" they just made an affordable Q, and an UGLY one...god what were they thinking?! that body looks like an AMERICAN luxary car...ungraceful and unsporty...I'll take a Lexus GS anyday before that....and the FX45? I don't think its a bad idea...but replacing the QX4???? what the [email protected]#%!!!?? Infiniti goes and creates the FIRST luxary SUV that retains its incrediable off-road capabilities (Nissan Pathfinder) and they want to dump it? I think the QX4 is beautiful. Keep it Infiniti!!!

As for the G20...it should be redesigned (under the hood) pushing 200hp (to compete with an RSX) and let the G35 compete with the 330 from BMW....their should not be an M45...what they could have done is taken the beautiful I35, and dropped a 300hp V8 with a six-speed tranny....otherwise, gimme the 540i.....

what do you think?! (sorry for rambling on with my opinion)

peace

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Ctd 586 said:
I think it is a joke that they couldn't even CREATE a new motor for the "M45" they just made an affordable Q,
I don't know any car companies that actually go out and make motors for their luxury rebadges. They just pull motors from other cars. I mean, how profitable is that? Make a whole new motor just for one car?
and an UGLY one...god what were they thinking?! that body looks like an AMERICAN luxary car...ungraceful and unsporty...I'll take a Lexus GS anyday before that....and the FX45? I don't think its a bad idea...but replacing the QX4???? what the [email protected]#%!!!?? Infiniti goes and creates the FIRST luxary SUV that retains its incrediable off-road capabilities (Nissan Pathfinder) and they want to dump it? I think the QX4 is beautiful. Keep it Infiniti!!! [/B]
Cuz the QX4/Pathfinder is due for a major makeover, and Infiniti will give it a smoother replacement instead. The FX45 is supposed to be an "urban SUV"... more like a car than some kinda "own-the-road" beast.

As for the G20...it should be redesigned (under the hood) pushing 200hp (to compete with an RSX) and let the G35 compete with the 330 from BMW....their should not be an M45...what they could have done is taken the beautiful I35, and dropped a 300hp V8 with a six-speed tranny....otherwise, gimme the 540i.....

what do you think?! (sorry for rambling on with my opinion)

peace [/B]
RSX = sport coupe that happens to be under a luxury mark (Acura). Competes with Toyota Celica and Hyundai Tiburon.

G20 = entry level luxury sedan. Competes with Lexus IS300 or to a lesser extent, the Acura 2.2CL (not competing very well, obviously, since it's now cancelled).

The G20/Primera is sold with a 200hp motor in other markets (in the P12 that is), but it was never meant to compete with the RSX/Integra. It DOES however, compete with the IS300, but when Toyota brought the Altezza here and rebadged it, they gave it a n/a Supra engine too, while Nissan left the Primera the way it was with an I-4. No competetiton, so IS300 wins that battle. But now that the G35, aka Nissan Skyline has taken the G20's place as Infiniti's entry level sedan, the IS300 doesn't stand a chance, and if you've been keeping up with Motor Trend, neither does the much-acclaimed BMW 3-series.

The Infiniti I35 fits somewhere between the BMW 3s and 5s. It doesn't need a V8, that's ridiculous. It's got 255hp out of a V6 as it is, what's it gonna need a V8 for, unless it wants to screw around Infiniti's entire heirarchy? Infinitis as they are generally smoke anything in their class anyways. I mean, Infiniti Q45 vs. Lexus LS430 vs. whatever.... Q comes out on top, as far as performancd goes. Remember, Nissan = performance.

The M45 is supposed to come over and fuck around with BMW's 5-series. In Japan, it actually does that; Nissan Cedrics and Glorias OWN the luxury car market, kinda like how BMW and Mercedes own the market here. But now Infiniti wants to bring that same aging platform HERE, which yeah, we're all agreeing; is a big mistake.

·
Registered
119 Posts
FF Drifter:

Sorry if I may have sounded stupid, but what I was getting at was that M45 and Q45 shouldn't be the same car under the hood...it's like a cheap way out, you know? not very innovative, or original...and the I35 is perfect as a V6, what I was getting at was that it is BEAUTIFUL, and if they're going to get rid of it, (which rumors have suggested) than Nissan should have used the I35's body with a more competitive engine, (to compete with a 540i) and it definetly needs a Six-speed manual tranny...as for re-badging Nissan's cars from the Japanese market, I dont know much about that, so you are only educating me further, and I actually appreciate it when I am corrected...but do you see what I was getting at?

one-

·
Registered
119 Posts
Also, why can't we have a 200hp primera??? and don't you think the QX4 and the FX45 are two completely different cars? The QX can climb a moutain, the FX can take trips on the interstate...I also think that the current design of the QX4 is one of the most beautiful cars, (or SUVs, for that matter) on the road.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You wouldn't want the new Primera. It looks really BIG, and really ugly (at least I think so). Check it out at www.nissan.co.jp/PRIMERA if you don't believe me. It looks too "commuter" to be a luxury car.

The M45 IS a cheap knockoff with that Q45 engine under it's hood, but Infiniti wants to give V8 power for a V6 price (or something like that). In my opinion, they should leave it with the RB25DET that it has in Japan. :p Skyline engine? What're you talking about?

You're right about the QX and the FX, but honestly, who bought the QX4 for it's rugged off-road capabilities? Actually, who buys ANY luxury SUV for it's off-road abilities? I've always thought of "luxury SUV" as an oxymoron. SPORT UTILITY does NOT equal "luxury." Can you imagine a big rugged mountaineer or something, climbing into a plush leather filled interior? Honestly...:

·
Registered
119 Posts
yea i know, i've seen that new primera...doesn't even look like a Nissan, does it? As for putting luxury with off road capability...what about a Range Rover...or perhaps a Mercedes Benz G500? Very lux, very capable....the QX4 was the one that most could afford. (You could pretty much buy 2 QX4's for the price of a Range or G500) But actually, believe it or not, I think the QX4 is best looking of the three....

peace

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
$40,000? ;) Okay man, I guess. I'd rather have a G35 coupe or something, but to all his own...

Range Rover...hmm yeah, good point. But the Mercedes isn't actually too off-roadable, I wouldn't think. The last thing on MY mind if I was a Merc-Benz owner is to flog my nice SUV around in the dirt.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It better go somewhere for 75k

That was my first impression...another MBZ SUV? can't be off road capapble...but supposedly, it is designed to compete with the Range Rover...for 75k, it better be able to rally off road a little.

Also, I'm gonna predict right now that the M45 becomes one of the worst selling Infiniti's of all time...and they redesign it for 2004.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'll second that opinion, except maybe I want them to CANCEL the damn car or replace it with a Y35.

1 - 20 of 2399 Posts