Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on ebay for g20 stuff when I saw a couple of air filters for sale some as low as 10$ and 15$ which include the adapter for the air filter. Well I don't really care about the air filter b/c they are of cheap quality but awhile back I was trying to install a K&N on my car but I had no way to mount it onto my MAF esp. b/c my car is a 99' and the 00' and up has a way different MAF then mine. Well anyways is it worth it to bid on the filter and adapter and then modify it to fit by elongating the mounting holes (I say modify because I know these adapters won't fit correctly and it even says on the ad about possibly modifying)

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Just get an adapter from a early G20 or Sentra SE-R. IIRC the MAF's are the same on all pre-2000 SR20DE's.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This may sound stupid and I may sound like a newbie but, I don't give a dam. But what does MAF stand for and what is the function. Mass Air Filter?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Mista McCoilover said:
This may sound stupid and I may sound like a newbie but, I don't give a dam. But what does MAF stand for and what is the function. Mass Air Filter?
Mass Air Flow. It's the sensor that tells your ECU how much air you have coming into the throttle body. From that, the ECU then adjust the amount of fuel to be injected into the cylinder for combustion...

...I think.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G-Forces said:
Just get an adapter from a early G20 or Sentra SE-R. IIRC the MAF's are the same on all pre-2000 SR20DE's.
Then I guess I'll just bid on the adapter on ebay b/c it says its for a 91 - 96 g20 and it'll only cost me like 15$... I'll modify the mounting holes if I have to so that the screws can line up correctly.

Thanks

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Should just bolt right on.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have an extra maf adapter right here I will sell for $15 just let me know via e-mail.

·
Registered
29 Posts
it is so easy to retro fit one of those. mine is off of a Toyota. just drill new holes, then i put a layer of duct tape down for a gasket.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If you are just going to attach a filter to this type of adapter, it will screw with your MAF. If you want to just add a K&N filter, get a JWT POP Charger. They machine a venturi into their adapter to keep the MAF happy.

This adapter here would be OK for building a homemade CAI however.

·
Registered
29 Posts
is that why my tack bounces a little when I let off the throttle sometimes. I thought it was because of the timing, I was about to set it back to 15*.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Tell you this much...

I'll tell you this much, Geo may be right!! I had tried to fit my OBX air filter into the MAF, it looked really cool and I was expecting performance... but it didn't work that way... what I got was a big drop everytime I would brake o let go of the throttle! Sometimes my car would shut off!! :crosseyed I didn't use the adapter, I just fit the filter in there.. but then I realized it had to do with how the air was reaching the sensor! Maybe the JWT POP is best, cuz' it's designed for it. Maybe these adapters are good only for CAI's! Truth is, as soon as I put back my OE airbox, the problem went away! :) ... I suggest you the adapter since it's just $15 ... if you get sluggish performance... then you know what to go for... and sell it just like Gdalton!! ;)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
The only thing I did was get and adapter and a filter and put it together I have noticed no adverse effects and I can say I noticed a little bit of a gain in power, the sound is what I like most. I have two adapters because the one I got from my local store was for a 99 model and didn't fit perfectly so I ordered another trying to get a better fit but it was the same one I got from the local shop so I had to make it work. So if you have a 99 G I'm sure it should fit just fine.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
mmm... Can I ask you...

I must admit, mine sounded nice too!! I just didn't use the adapter, that's probably why it was sluggish!! Lemme ask you Gdalton!! When you put the adapter and the filter together... What did you do with the rest of the connections..? Did you cover the hole for the lil' airbox resonator below (I used a bottle cap)? What did you do with the AIV connection that goes right behind the OE airbox?(I used a breather) Did you use a breather?... :eek:

Tell me... cuz I ordered and received my adapter and would like to try it if it'll work...

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
I did it again...

Okay, this is my last word on this one... If you don't have alot of money right now to buy a JWT POP, Stillen or HotShot CAI, you can settle for the adapter in the mean time!! :p Wanna know why? I finally installed my adapter yesterday and it works fine!! I found a perfect position to make the screw-holes fit, I added some black-tape on the adapter as a seal (gasket), screwed it to the MAF, then added the filter. Took out the OE airbox set-up and added a supporter for the filter, left the resonator airbox alone, and added a breather to the pipe that goes from the AIV box (lil' black box in front of the engine). Looks good and feels great!! I went for a test drive, warmed the car up and drove it for about a mile with stopping and turns involved... did the car die or give me sluggish performance?? NO! I actually experienced a nice difference in the pull and the car feels great. There is HP gain involved if you ask, I can't say for sure, but whether it be 1HP or 10HP... it's definitely there!!! =) I suggest you try it indeed.

...man... another two cents??? I'll be broke before all discussions are over.... :knockout:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay this thread is older than Ancient Egypt but the MAF adapter took like 2 and a half weeks to get to me cuz of slow shipping. I installed it today and so far it worked good. I know that a POP would be best but I think this adapter is OK for now. I do notice that the car tends to stall easier when I let my foot off the clutch but its only a slight difference probably from the screwed up MAF readings that Geo was talking about. I also am going to experiment making a mid pipe from the TB to the MAF to see if this will improve anything and possibly a heat shield.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
What was I so happy about..?

Man... That adapter business is somethin' else!! The adpater worked fine... but that was for about a week or two!!! The stalling started again!! It happens right when I'm slowing down or coming to a stop... my baby's rpm will drop almost to a dying engine!! ... I used a breather for the AIV box, and left the resonator untouched.... What exactly is it??... Are these adapters as screwed up as they're claimed to be???? help..... :sleep:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dam I hope I don't have to go through that same problem anytime soon but I also don't have the AIV thing to worry about because my airbox didn't have one. Hopefully I'll be able to get the Hotshot sometime soon and have no worries.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
well..

Well I certainly hope you don't run into that either... I've have enough, I'm slapping my OE airbox back on today and save up for the HS CAI for GOOD!!! That's how you learn in life... :crosseyed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts