Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my exhaust is giving me headaches its way louder on the drivers side than the passenger side can anyone suggest a deep but not as loud universal muffler that I can swap it to

is sebring any good ? ractive ?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
my exhaust is giving me headaches its way louder on the drivers side than the passenger side can anyone suggest a deep but not as loud universal muffler that I can swap it to

is sebring any good ? ractive ?
You went with a shorter muffler than 18" didn't you? And I believe you went with a tube style (round) Magnaflow, right? What is the part #? Length has a lot to do with the sound. A lot!

Also, if it is louder on one side more than the other, you probably have a leak somewhere. Especially the drivers side, since the P10 exhasut exits on the passenger side. That is just odd.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
What kind of resonator did you put in there?

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
if he even had a resonator because my magnaflow was quiet as hell. The crappy muffler I have now w/o a resonator is louder than my magna.. with resonator.

To keep it short, I miss my magna and when I put on my 3"exhaust I think it might be another magna

I will assure you sebring is much louder and I wouldn't touch anything that says ractive

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a magnaflow turbo muffler as well as there 22" resonator in a 2.5" mandrel bend set up. I hear the spool under normal driving over the regular exhaust noise.
Bryan:confused:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
So you only had the rear section repalced with the canister. The rest of the piping before that is stock? Hmm?

Then I will have to say that it is probably the canister style muffler.

- What Magnaflow # did you go with?
* Length and diameter, again, have a huge effect on sound output.

- Was it welded on to the stock piping or clamped on?
* If you clamped it on and the muffler inlet is larger than the stock tubing, then there could be a leak at the clamp.

Just some ideas!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Your exhaust system is still entirely under-built. If I were you (and I'm not), I'd have a good shop do a cat-back, meaning that your first custom pipe should attach to the cat itself.

If you don't have cams, use 2.25" tubing, even if your muffler itself is 2.5". Get a big effin' 2.25", perforated core resonator, use mandrel bends, and take that 2.25" piping back as far as you can. If your muffler is indeed 2.5" instead of 2.25", use a taper transition between your new piping and the muffler, as close to the muffler as possible.

The general flow should be:
  • Cat flange to 2.25" pipe.
  • 2.25" perforated-core resonator.
  • Bends between resonator and muffler section.
  • 2.25"-2.5" taper.
  • Muffler.
  • Tailpipe.
Do not get crushed bends, as they tend to introduce rasp to the sound, not to mention make the flow stagnate and add turbulence. Do not get a louvered-core resonator because it can sap performance as well. Do not use 2.5" tubing if you think your system is loud now; 2.25" is a quieter option, and still a major improvement over stock. If you have S3 or S4 cams, 2.5" will get you more power and torque, but will be loud. Stick with the 2.25".

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
CowboyDren said:
If you have S3 or S4 cams, 2.5" will get you more power and torque, but will be loud. Stick with the 2.25".
Really? That's cool, do you have any dyno charts that show the difference? I'm just inerested is all.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I don't have specific evidence, but that's what I keep hearing over and over from the SE-R list and SR20DEForum members that seem to know what they're talking about. It only makes sense; a bigger cam needs more pipe size to breathe properly at any given RPM.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
I thought the exhaust size was sheerly based on engine displacement:bored: I could be wrong buty i thought 2"-2.25" was the biggest unless you have a turbo. What do cams do about back pressure?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
No, optimal exhaust size diameter is based on horsepower output, not displacement. A 140 HP engine needs a smaller exhaust system than a 160 HP engine does, and there is a formula for that, but I don't have it handy. Thoroughly read Mike Kojima's excellent articles on exhaust system design. His thumb-rules are good, but there are exceptions, such as the fact that using "wilder" cams tends to require wilder exhaust systems to get the most out of the cams.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts