Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a few questions. i have 1996 g20 and took it in for an oil change and an alignment and everything works fine now but the service guy mentioned that there were a few things that i should have replaced.

one was my brake pads, which i think i can do myself. its been a couple of years since i changed pads myself but if i remember correctly, it was pretty easy. or is my memory bad???

the other thing was that they said it looks like my radiator hoses looked bad and i should replace my top and bottom hoses. are the hoses easily accesible so that i can do this myself also, mainly the bottom hose?

and my last question was they said my alternator belt looks like it is beginning to crack. i have never replaced belts of any kind so i was wondering if i would be making a big mistake if i try this myself.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Brake pads and the radiator hoses are easy. The best thing to do is use the service manual for the g20. Mine was located in the trunk when I bought my car. If you don't have that buy a Chilton's manual for the Nissan Sentra (very similar to the infiniti service manual).
The manuals will give you good explanations for your problems.

I did the brake pads about a month ago and saved over $50 from what local shops were asking.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
hocuz said:
and my last question was they said my alternator belt looks like it is beginning to crack. i have never replaced belts of any kind so i was wondering if i would be making a big mistake if i try this myself.
After taking a look at it, you can probably do it yourself. Just loosen the belt tightner bolts (on the altenator for that belt and near the oil filter for the other) Its a good idea to replace both. So loosen the belts and slip off, place the new ones on and retighten the tensioner bolt. You will probably have to take the fender plastic off and the wheel to get a better view and angle on things.

Ive never done it so Im just talking after looking at the FSM and glancing at the car....so if you dont feel up to it, you may want to just get it done.

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
yeah the belt is easy, but to take off the alternator belt you have to loosen two bolts. first loosen the one that is attached to the alternator itself from the bracket(which will alow you to be able to move the alternator up and down to losen the belt.) then you loosen the top bolt, which will acctually adjust the height of the alternator. then you jack passenger side up and place a jack stand under the car so you don't kill yourself, and remove the belt from underneath. put in the new belt, and then tighten the top bolt on the bracket, and then re tighten the bolt on the alternator from the bracket. it should not take you more than 30minutes to change. now the powersteering belt is another matter, i was not able to change that. as far as the breaks go, the rear are a pain in the ass. you have to use needle nose pliers to turn the caliper pistons clokwise in order to move them in. this is according to the factory service manual, and believe me you can't just use a clamp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help guys. i'll take a look at it in a bit. i gotta get my things straight first because i am going to be moving closer to work (no 45 mile commute to work tolook forward to in the morning =...( )

i'll check it out when i can and i'll keep you guys posted as far as how easy (difficult) the job was.

thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts