Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess after being a posting slut for all my problems Im finally taking my car to a qualified mechanic but this time I was forced:*(

A few days ago my buddy got a 1990 Corolla GTS 5 spd, so today we were entering onto a highway together, so we started torqing it-I took 2nd to 7500 and I was still a couple feet behind him(he had a car lenght headstart) so I power shifted to 3rd then took it to 6600 and he was now about 6 feet in front of me, as I was puting it into 4th I slipped and it never made it into that gear but as I was doing that it revved and grinded a little bit so then after I put it into 5th and the engine sounded fucked up, it made kind of a back firing noise from the engine:*( ,so I put it in neutral and let it roll to a stop. Then I popped the hood to see what kind of mess I had made--When I rev the throttle there is a Very Loud Poping sound coming from my intake aswell as ticking from the intake manifold, I tried to adjust the timing to see if it was that but it wasnt:*( the engine now sounds kind of like a turbo Subaru but its still fucked, to add insult to injury I had just finished cleaning and waxing my car and I lost the race. To sum it my friends dad drove by to look at it (hes a mechanic) and told me that I bent a valve or something with my timing is messed up (cause he said it sounds like Im running on 3 cylinders because of the ticking) . I really NEED HELP (aswell as ALOT of money,I guess to fix this) but can you guys tell me what you think might be wrong(I know its hard to tell over the computer)--by the way the engine still runs (does not sound healthy) and the car moves into gear(I got it towed to a shop) :*( :*( :*( :*( :*( :*( :*( If it is a bent or broken valve how much does that cost to fix ? If its my timing how much is that ? If its niether how much ?

Im going to have to sell my DTM rims and empty out my bank for this now,right ?

thanx to anyone who replies :-\

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
You may have thrown/broken a rocker arm. If you missed 4th and put it into 2nd you may have over reved badly. That would also cause it to sound like it's running on 3 cylinders.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
OUCH.

sorry to be the messenger of bad news. but its never just one thing broken there will also be a few more things broken. Just b e prepared

·
Registered
117 Posts
i almost shifted into 2nd instead of 4th, in the first week i had the car, or a manual for that matter

i was able to throw the clutch back in right before the revs climbed to 8,000,000,000

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so today I went to the shop to check out my G and saw that the arm with the 2 forks coming out (I think the rocker arm thing that goes on top of the valves) came off and slightly scratched the lobe. another thing that is missing is the cap on the valves on the last cylinder closest to the drivers side---And the timing ? could be linked to this( 2 months ago my timing messed up and I had to advance it all the way for it to run good again-dont know how it did that by itself ? ) so right now Im waiting a couple of days for the valve caps and they will work from there--One thing about the caps is that the mechanic could not find the missing ones any where in the engine !

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
G-Forces said:
You may have thrown/broken a rocker arm. If you missed 4th and put it into 2nd you may have over reved badly. That would also cause it to sound like it's running on 3 cylinders.

6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
so today I went to the shop to check out my G and saw that the arm with the 2 forks coming out (I think the rocker arm thing that goes on top of the valves) came off and slightly scratched the lobe.
Heh! I was right. :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
pretty shitty

good job g-forces

I hope you don't have to sell your rims to fix it, doesn't sound like it should cost too, too much.:surprised

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
jason, he needs counselling please. Take him out for dinner

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, I kill me

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
today the mechanic found a bunch of metal parts in my oil pan---$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$--Im going to have to sell my rims !:*( :*(

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
You might be better off swapping a used engine in there. Possibly a JDM higher compression. The costs to repair the engine might be higher than a full swap.

Just some food for thought! :)

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
I have to agree...

I have to agree with NismoPC... You might end up spending more money 'trying' to fix your engine... When such internal damages occur, there may be more than just what the eye could see. You fix "this", and later you run into "that" Know what I mean? :-\ Now I'm not trying to sound pessimistic or anything, but you'd be better off buying/swapping another engine. You should check: Woodfins
They have good prices and warranties :square: ... Don't bother looking for the DET on there though... THEY DON'T HAVE IT!! :p But it's an important decision... get as many ideas and opinions before you make anything final...

"Be rational Luke... For the Force is with you"

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
finally I got my car back today !! with the discount I got it came out to $300can.---thank god I dont have to sell my rims !

I had to change a rocker arm,spark plug,guide,rocker,and a $84 screw also I got an oil change and my leaking oil pan fixed

Im back in business, maybe I should consider the pacesetter short shifter so I dont redline 3rd and put it in 2nd !!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts